Autopsy suggestions

emschic30

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys - so I found out we have to attend an autopsy as part of our class (EMT-B). I have received various bits of "advice" -- while I'm not squeamish, I was wondering what's the best thing to do vis-a-vis "the smell"--- some people have said put vicks under your nose and others have said things like cinnamon sticks and not to eat breakfast that morning (LOL :p). Any suggestions or bits of advice?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
A freshly dead body has no particularly bad smell. Most nursing home patients smell worse than most recently deceased persons. It's the decomps that you have to worry about and I can't imagine the pathologist letting you watch one of those if you're there to learn anatomy since it is quite distorted in those cases.

Do not go in having not eaten. Nothing will take you down faster than a stress-induced drop in blood sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Although a long time ago, through a military medical school, I attended my first autopsy. IMHO, it is absolutely, THE BEST way to learn your anatomy and physiology. The only thing that was upsetting to me was the crunching of the bones as they were preparing to open up the chest cavity. I can't see scheduling a first-time student to a decomposing body, but it may happen.

At that point, I had been through several "book" classes, but found this to be the most interesting because you can see (and touch if the pathologist lets you) the various structures.

OP
OP
E

emschic30

Forum Ride Along
I'm not too worried should it be a decomposed body.... Luckily (? maybe?) I have a small bit of experience with decomposing bodies as I identified my grandfather (he killed himself via drowning near 10yrs ago and spent a good bit of time in the Hudson before they pulled him out....) but I do hope it's not all the same.

I'll be sure to eat breakfast, usafmedic45...thanks!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll be sure to eat breakfast, usafmedic45...thanks!

Make it a light one. No Grand Slams or anything heavy like that.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
if you ever have problems with bad smells, get a surgical mask and stick an alchohol prep or two behind it

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
if you ever have problems with bad smells, get a surgical mask and stick an alchohol prep or two behind it

Except that it can make some people tear up pretty bad. I would not suggest that practice.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I saw my first one in 10th grade. I was behind a window watching so no smells. And the only thing that upset me was the nasty comments the techs were making about the person they were autopsying.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I know it doesn't compare, but during my intermediate class my instructor surprised us with an autopsy video. I was eating mcnuggets at the time lol.

It was very cool. The medic class I'm looking into sets their students loose in a cadaver lab to learn about A&P.

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk