Automatic snow chains

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Does anybody know if it is a requirement to have the automatic snow chains equipped on all new ambulances and fire trucks? If it is a requirement, can you tell me where I can find the requirements?

Thanks.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I think you will find that would vary state by state. I know In Pennsylvania it is not a mandated requirement to have emergency vehicles equipped with automatic snow chains.

I've never been all that impressed with automatic snow chains personally.

Tigar

Forum Probie
It is not required in Oklahoma. I know for my company the chains are dettachable. The chains are put on only during the worst of snow/ice season and then are controllable by the Medic driving. The chains are a type that swings down and spins, out and downward under the tires. Our chains are not hooked over the tires. Management notifies us the chains have been attached and that we simply flip a switch inside the cab to activate in warm and dry comfort. Here in northeastern OKla the ol' man weather can dump 2-14 inches of snow with intermittent ice, or ice on the bottom and the top. THen the STUPID FACTOR expands 300 fold. Our communities simply can not drive on anything other than dry roads. Yes, I'm including rain covered roads as wells. But for the chains, yes they are attachable and dettachable.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The state of Washington requires chains in certain locations depending upon road conditions, but the automatics are not required. I believe it is state law that you have to have a set of chains in your vehicle (unless it is all-wheel drive), but I could be wrong about this.

I was hoping that it was a requirement, so that we could get all of our ambulances equipped with them this fall instead of waiting until next year.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
From the little bit I've read about them (not a big need here in sunny La-La-Land), they're really intended as a supplement for regular chains and in light snow conditions. They really only provide additional traction when starting and stopping and aren't as effective during actual driving. This was from a manufacturer's info, so I don't know how much of that is true and how much is CYA.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We don't even use our regular chains that much. They're decent about plowing the roads out here. One time we actually got one of the Town snow-plow contractors to drive in front of us all the way to the hospital!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't believe they are a requirement in Michigan, I've never even seen them on an ambulance.

It's October and you have to remind me of the snow? In Michigan there are two seasons: Winter and Contstruction <_<

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Oct 28 2004, 10:07 PM
I don't believe they are a requirement in Michigan, I've never even seen them on an ambulance.

It's October and you have to remind me of the snow? In Michigan there are two seasons: Winter and Contstruction <_<
Here it's three seasons, which overlap most of the year:

Golf, Hunting, and Construction. :p

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
From the little bit I've read about them (not a big need here in sunny La-La-Land), they're really intended as a supplement for regular chains and in light snow conditions. They really only provide additional traction when starting and stopping and aren't as effective during actual driving. This was from a manufacturer's info, so I don't know how much of that is true and how much is CYA.

They're intended for dual wheels. they cover the inside set ONLY. you would still need chains for the outside.

An easy and cheap soultion is to go to Pep-Boys, and get cable chains.

I have them for my 4 cyl. front wheel drive 5-speed and I hold the road better than most of these 4 by's. I love mine. The only drawback is speed limitation. :rolleyes: