Austin-Travis EMS/Outside Texas applicant

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Its OK... My wife said "HELL NO!!!" to Texas. But Australia is OK. :confused: So! Time to figure out the Aussie reciprocity!

And even if it is not all the time. It would still be fun.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Its OK... My wife said "HELL NO!!!" to Texas. But Australia is OK. :confused: So! Time to figure out the Aussie reciprocity!

Lol good luck with that and let me know how that goes

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Good luck with that lol, ICP's down there have a lot more schooling then what our medics get. There's threads on this site about going over there. Tends to be very hard to do so.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I figured... But everyone needs an irrational dream!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Just an update, per civil service regs you must remain a medic 1 for 3 years. Works out for me since I want to finish school first anyways.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1] Not that I would leave my department for anywhere but med school, but F that! Not a chance in hell [emoji1]

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
That would be a big commitment to work as a basic for 3 years after busting my but for over a year in medic school. It's to bad sounds like a great place to work.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
That would be a big commitment to work as a basic for 3 years after busting my but for over a year in medic school. It's to bad sounds like a great place to work.

You will be using your skills in a class setting numerous times throughout the year so you wont be as rusty. Depending on where you work basics here earn more than some medics in other parts of country just starting out. Its easier for me to say it would be worth coming here because I am a basic. But 3 years out of your career to work here would not be a game stopping negative for me. Austin is a great place to live and I am glad I was given the opportunity to work here. Like I said though, I have never worked as a medic, so I can see why some would not like to step down for a few years onto a P/B truck as the second man.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Still here, I turned over recruitment recently but ask away if you have any Wilco questions.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a heads up if anyone in the next hiring process is looking at this. If you make it through the hiring process, do yourself a favor and start doing A LOT of running and crossfit type exercises...you're welcome.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
I was looking at the SMOs. Do Medic 1's function as Intermediates? What medications can be administered and/or drawn up?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I was looking at the SMOs. Do Medic 1's function as Intermediates? What medications can be administered and/or drawn up?

Kind of but not really. We set up 12 leads, do king ltd airways, cpap, neb if you consider that a new skill. For cardiac arrests we will draw up epi, amiodarone and bicarb. We spike bags and all that jazz. Other than that its pretty much just the basic OTC meds we can give. If anyone has the idea that Medic 1's come here to drive the truck and be the Medic 2's child you are dead wrong. Medicine and assessment are the main focus in this department and taken very seriously. Without those your skills mean zip.

On another note, I don't really see a department that can offer much more in terms of things you can do within the department and chances to grow and make it into a real career.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hah, 1-3 years!? That's downright insulting to force a Paramedic, especially an experienced Paramedic, to work as an EMT for that long let alone at all.

They have a lot to offer brand new people, there's not many experienced Paramedics that I know that would settle for that.

No system takes 1-3 years to learn.

I know someone who works there and has for a while, it's not all candy and butterflies. Hate to burst your bubble,Chewy, but as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
On another note, I don't really see a department that can offer much more in terms of things you can do within the department and chances to grow and make it into a real career.
/slowly raises hand...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hah, 1-3 years!? That's downright insulting to force a Paramedic, especially an experienced Paramedic, to work as an EMT for that long let alone at all.

They have a lot to offer brand new people, there's not many experienced Paramedics that I know that would settle for that.

No system takes 1-3 years to learn.

I know someone who works there and has for a while, it's not all candy and butterflies. Hate to burst your bubble,Chewy, but as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

No one is putting a gun to your head and making you apply lol. The 3 year minimum is more a civil service thing, and the department can change that when they need to fill medic slots, which they just did. Nothing is all candy and butterflies, but there really is endless room to grow and earn more here. I am not trying to force anyone to work here, I could care less. All I am trying to do is provide people who are interested a little info, and my opinion. They can do what they want with it.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
Could I work as a PT medic in another department, while working as a FT Medic 1 in ATCEMS?

Chewy, I know they have you sign a contract that does not allow you to talk about the testing process. Would you be able to share how you prepared for all phases of the exam?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No one is putting a gun to your head and making you apply lol. The 3 year minimum is more a civil service thing, and the department can change that when they need to fill medic slots, which they just did. Nothing is all candy and butterflies, but there really is endless room to grow and earn more here. I am not trying to force anyone to work here, I could care less. All I am trying to do is provide people who are interested a little info, and my opinion. They can do what they want with it.

I never said anyone is putting a gun to my head. It's still insulting, civil service or not. Like others have said there's other agencies that have just as much room to grow career-wise and salary-wise.