Atlanta/Grady Hospital

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Hey guys, let me start my introducing myself. My name is Josh, Im currently a third of the way into my EMT-I class at a local community community college and plan to use my time as an EMT for experience and money towards an eventual career as a Physician's Assistant.

My question goes to anyone who knows about EMS at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.

Ive heard that they only hire Paramedics, if thats not the case, do you know if they hire EMT-I's fresh out of school, and maybe some advice on if thats a good first job decision.

Thanks in advanced.

Crunch

Forum Probie
I did my paramedic internship there.

They do hire intermediates, including some fresh out of school.

However, intermediates normally start on a non emergency transport rotation for at least the first three months.

So it could be awhile before you wind up on a 911 truck.

mdcauley

Forum Ride Along
I am glad this post was made. I have been trolling these forums for a little bit and have really enjoyed reading the posts. But I guess I am going to officially say hi here lol....HI! But I just graduated in September and have a pre-employment screening with Grady in December. I am a bit nervous about it. But I keep telling myself that if I passed the NREMT with no problem then I should be alright. It is sorta nice to hear that I will start out on a non emergent transport to begin with. I am not from Atlanta but live a little less than an hour away. From what I have asked the paramedics around here, it's worth the drive to get the experience.

OP
OP
H

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
I asked my instructor the other day, apparently they don't run 24 on 48 off. They do 8 or 12 hour shifts. So it doesnt sound like a bad place to start off and get some experience. And what part of ga are you from/where did you go to school?

mdcauley

Forum Ride Along
I asked my instructor the other day, apparently they don't run 24 on 48 off. They do 8 or 12 hour shifts. So it doesnt sound like a bad place to start off and get some experience. And what part of ga are you from/where did you go to school?

Yeah I knew they didn't do the 24/48 shifts. The position I applied for was a full time position but I don't know if I will actually be hired on as full time. I guess I will find out eventually. I live in Macon and went to Central Ga Tech.

Crunch

Forum Probie
Im not sure about the non 911 shifts, but i know they have a couple different shifts for the 911 trucks.

The most common one was three 13-hour shifts in a row, eg, Monday 1500-0400, Tuesday 1500-0400, Wenesday 1500-0400, Thursday - Sunday off

They also had a few 10 hour and 8 hour trucks as well.

Their systems based on the PUM, so there aren't any stations, you get posted at a street corner and get moved around the city through out your shift.

OP
OP
H

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Yeah I knew they didn't do the 24/48 shifts. The position I applied for was a full time position but I don't know if I will actually be hired on as full time. I guess I will find out eventually. I live in Macon and went to Central Ga Tech.

Oh ok, I live in stockbridge, im currently at southern crescent tech. Good luck with the job.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck with Grady, i have been trying to get in there since i got out of school. How did you get the interview? I'd love to know your secert...
I applied online but I keep thinking my app is lost in the world of internet.

You will as an EMT-I work non emergency first for at least 6-9 months then if an opening opens up in 911 you can transfer.

What I was told by the head of the EMS department when he talked at our school, is that they want EMT-I who are looking to go to paramedic school in the future.

Good Luck!

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Where is southern Crest Tech? I havent heard of it

mdcauley

Forum Ride Along
Good luck with Grady, i have been trying to get in there since i got out of school. How did you get the interview? I'd love to know your secert...
I applied online but I keep thinking my app is lost in the world of internet.

You will as an EMT-I work non emergency first for at least 6-9 months then if an opening opens up in 911 you can transfer.

What I was told by the head of the EMS department when he talked at our school, is that they want EMT-I who are looking to go to paramedic school in the future.

Good Luck!

Well I do plan on going to Paramedic school and I put that in my app. I am currently taking core classes for it but the actual Paramedic classes do not start until August of next year. But I just filled out the app, I went to their site to see if they happened to be hiring and I saw an EMT spot and was like what the hell it can't hurt to put an app in to see what happens. Then I heard back from them via email the next day. I was quite surprised. I am really excited but also extremely nervous about the tests that I have to take for them.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
So did you sumbit your app online or in person?

Good luck with that test. Just know your basic. Ive heard a few different things about it, if the info is true or not Im not sure.

I heard that it a written, physical, and a practical exam.
Let us know how it goes!

If it has been a few days since registery, go over the registery checks off to refresh yourself. My best friend went on a job interview and completey forgot the scene safety, bsi, part of it. The tester was great and was like hey dont forget this and let him redo it. The tester said he understood if you havent been in registery mode for a while that it can be easy to forget that part

mdcauley

Forum Ride Along
So did you sumbit your app online or in person?

Good luck with that test. Just know your basic. Ive heard a few different things about it, if the info is true or not Im not sure.

I heard that it a written, physical, and a practical exam.
Let us know how it goes!

If it has been a few days since registery, go over the registery checks off to refresh yourself. My best friend went on a job interview and completey forgot the scene safety, bsi, part of it. The tester was great and was like hey dont forget this and let him redo it. The tester said he understood if you havent been in registery mode for a while that it can be easy to forget that part

Yeah I submitted it online. I am not so worried about my practicals. Those were always the easiest for me. I just took mine back in September so it wasn't long ago and they are still fresh in my mind. Thanks for all the good luck, I hope it sticks with me. I will let you guys know how it goes for me, but it's not until December 6, so I have a few more weeks to study for everything. :)

Crunch

Forum Probie
Goodgrief- probably wouldn't hurt to give their recruiter a follow up call about testing, last time I checked the job was still advertised as open. They test pretty regula
HTML:
ry

ebass30920

Forum Crew Member
For those that are interested I have heard Rural Mero will be off their hiring freeze in Jan. As far as Grady I havent heard of people really having a problem getting on. Call and ask them whats up.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
doing ems in dekalb?! ughh I cant believe Im considering it but I need a job. LOL

I heard today that rural metro is taking over the clinicals for dekalb county. Does the fire not have any ambulances anymore?

404EMT

Forum Ride Along
hi, im an EMT with grady. yes we do hire right out of school. we do work out of posts and not stations, we are a busy service so we wouldnt be at a station much anyways. Grady is the ambulance service for the city of atlanta, we do a little mutual aid for rurral metro every once in a while. any other questions i can answer let me know.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
the 2 questions I have are

1. what the driving record rules

2. so mentioned calling the recruiters, who and what is the number?

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Goodgrief- probably wouldn't hurt to give their recruiter a follow up call about testing, last time I checked the job was still advertised as open. They test pretty regula
HTML:
ry

Crunch you have the number?

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I submitted it online. I am not so worried about my practicals. Those were always the easiest for me. I just took mine back in September so it wasn't long ago and they are still fresh in my mind. Thanks for all the good luck, I hope it sticks with me. I will let you guys know how it goes for me, but it's not until December 6, so I have a few more weeks to study for everything. :)

Hey how did it go? i heard 30 people were there for that..