Aspiring hopeful newcomer

jerellem

Forum Crew Member
Wassup yall Im a 20 year-old student of EMT. I plan on becoming an EMT-B in june and its already my life. I study all the time and take practice NREMT exams, etc. So I'm pretty confident that I'll pass NREMT. The only thing that sucks is I wont be making any real money until I become a paramedic. But I've heard of a paramedic-RN and this is my ultimate goal. They're supposed to get paid $3-5 more an hour than RNs. Has anyone else heard of a paramedic-RN. Thanks for all the help and future advice :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Wassup yall Im a 20 year-old student of EMT. I plan on becoming an EMT-B in june and its already my life. I study all the time and take practice NREMT exams, etc. So I'm pretty confident that I'll pass NREMT. The only thing that sucks is I wont be making any real money until I become a paramedic. But I've heard of a paramedic-RN and this is my ultimate goal. They're supposed to get paid $3-5 more an hour than RNs. Has anyone else heard of a paramedic-RN. Thanks for all the help and future advice :)

You have stated your "goals" as it concerns money. But, what about your goals as a medical professional?

recent threads to reveiw:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7516&highlight=nurse+paramedic

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7426&highlight=nurse+paramedic

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9901&highlight=nurse+paramedic

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9920&highlight=nurse

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7963&highlight=nurse+paramedic

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7847&highlight=nurse+paramedic

MyLoveIsMyBaby

Forum Ride Along
Never heard of it in Nj. Who knows though. Good luck on your plans. Probaly is someone whom holds a RN and Paramedic status. Lots of schooling though.

Jaybro713

Forum Probie
I've never heard of a Paramedic RN either. I've heard of RN's becoming paramedics but never a combination of both.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Many people, if you notice some of the credentials on this forum, hold different licenses and educational degrees.

On a team such as Flight, you will have RNs who may also hold the credential of Paramedic to show they have completed that certificate for extra knowledge. However, RN and Paramedic have very different scope of practices for the state the hold each of their licenses. The Emergency Nurses Association has addressed this quite critically in the past as it pertains to the conflicts in practice.

http://www.ena.org/about/position/PDFs/Role-RN-PreHospital.PDF

In the absence of specific nursing education or comprehensive practice standards for nurses to work in
the prehospital environment, the nursing community often turned to the knowledge base and standards
that exist for emergency medical technician (EMT) and Paramedic practice. In many states, the registered
nurse who chooses to practice in the prehospital environment is required to become a certified EMT or
Paramedic. These circumstances have resulted in the following problems:
1. Many State emergency medical services (EMS) agencies regulate the practice of registered
nurses in the prehospital environment.
2. Registered nurses who practice in the prehospital environment are required by law in some states
to function under a prehospital provider credential rather than under a nursing license.
3. States differ regarding whether prehospital practice by RNs is regulated by the Board of Nursing,
the state EMS office, or both.
4. In some states emergency and flight nurses are not permitted to teach in training programs for
prehospital care providers without certification as an Emergency Medical Technician or EMTParamedic.

MyLoveIsMyBaby

Forum Ride Along
Future EMT?

I became a EMT to start my life in a career. I once said to myself, that if I didn't have a son I'd volunteer all the time. It took me some time to realize it's not what you always expect it to be. I thought I could complete school and become a paid member in a squad. Realized I'd be stuck with Transport/Emergancy places first. It's great feeling to save someone's life and have people look @ you so confidently and admire you for what you do. After awhile the lights and sirens fades out of your life. I realized nobody really cares. Sad feeling. I put my back out, ended up paying for it. Came back to work, and got stuck with most of the obese patients. I get surrounded by MRSA and all types of illnesses, half the time because nobody else wants the calls. And than I come home to my 2 year old, whom loves me so, hugs me and wants to play. Doesn't want his own cup of juice but mommy's cup of juice even though it's the same thing. I live in NJ, and even with volunteer and transport/emergancy experience I get paid $13.50 an hr. I drop my son off @ his grandmom's house, where there are 1 younger child and 1 older child she watches. I come home to risk my son, other children's, grandparent's, mom's, and dad's, and so forth's people's health, for this. If I was to catch something, who would pay for this, and on top of that it would be exposed to my 2 yr old and his grandparents, and other children.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I became a EMT to start my life in a career. I once said to myself, that if I didn't have a son I'd volunteer all the time. It took me some time to realize it's not what you always expect it to be. I thought I could complete school and become a paid member in a squad. Realized I'd be stuck with Transport/Emergancy places first. It's great feeling to save someone's life and have people look @ you so confidently and admire you for what you do. After awhile the lights and sirens fades out of your life. I realized nobody really cares. Sad feeling. I put my back out, ended up paying for it. Came back to work, and got stuck with most of the obese patients. I get surrounded by MRSA and all types of illnesses, half the time because nobody else wants the calls. And than I come home to my 2 year old, whom loves me so, hugs me and wants to play. Doesn't want his own cup of juice but mommy's cup of juice even though it's the same thing. I live in NJ, and even with volunteer and transport/emergancy experience I get paid $13.50 an hr. I drop my son off @ his grandmom's house, where there are 1 younger child and 1 older child she watches. I come home to risk my son, other children's, grandparent's, mom's, and dad's, and so forth's people's health, for this. If I was to catch something, who would pay for this, and on top of that it would be exposed to my 2 yr old and his grandparents, and other children.

How about getting a job that does not involve patient care or even contact with people? The pay might even be better and the hours might allow you more time for your baby.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I've never heard of a Paramedic RN either. I've heard of RN's becoming paramedics but never a combination of both.

Me neither .... :p

*** and NO they don't usually get paid any more for being a Paramedic. Sorry most nursing divisions do not consider Paramedic as being a health care worker. If they do, it would be in similar pay for any other certification alike CCRN, CEN, etc...

R/r 911

Code 3

Forum Captain
But I've heard of a paramedic-RN and this is my ultimate goal. They're supposed to get paid $3-5 more an hour than RNs. Has anyone else heard of a paramedic-RN. Thanks for all the help and future advice :)

Are you thinking CCT/RN where you ride in an ambulance and do critical care transports? The only other thing I could think of would be a flight nurse like VentMedic mentioned. A CCT/RN makes around $300.00 a call down here.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Are you thinking CCT/RN where you ride in an ambulance and do critical care transports? The only other thing I could think of would be a flight nurse like VentMedic mentioned. A CCT/RN makes around $300.00 a call down here.

For either Flight or CCT RN, you will need at least 5 years of full time ED/ICU/CCU experience as an RN. If you are an experienced Paramedic that gets an RN degree, you may still need at least 3 - 5 more years as an RN in an ED/ICU/CCU to work Flight or CCT.

There are some states, like PA and CA, that have PreHospital RN certifications (PHRN, MICN) which require a short education program and you may need all the necessary certs (ACLS, PALS, CEN, TNCC etc) and experience. Usually that is no big deal since many progressive EDs require their RNs to be up to date on the necessary certs.

OP
OP
J

jerellem

Forum Crew Member
well, my teacher's husband and an employee of hers both said once you become a EMT-P you can take a 6 month bridge course and 3 day clinicals and you're qualified as a Paramedic-RN. And my teacher's husband whom is a doctor said that the only difference is you can stay with the PT even after the ambulance trip.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There are some states, like PA and CA, that have PreHospital RN certifications (PHRN, MICN) which require a short education program and you may need all the necessary certs (ACLS, PALS, CEN, TNCC etc) and experience. Usually that is no big deal since many progressive EDs require their RNs to be up to date on the necessary certs.

Vent, isn't the MICN cert in California more towards RNs providing online medical control than providing prehospital medical care?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
well, my teacher's husband and an employee of hers both said once you become a EMT-P you can take a 6 month bridge course and 3 day clinicals and you're qualified as a Paramedic-RN. And my teacher's husband whom is a doctor said that the only difference is you can stay with the PT even after the ambulance trip.

At the minimum, some require more, these COLLEGE courses will have to be completed prior to applying for a Paramedic to RN bridge program:
Anatomy & Physiology I
Anatomy & Physiology II
Principles of Chemistry
English Composition I
General Psychology
Human Growth & Development
Nutrition

The above classes are about 2 semesters worth of work. Also, there will definitely be more than 3 days of clinicals. A typical RN degree will have over 1200 - 2000 hours of clinicals along with the many classes that make up the degree. However, a Paramedic certificate can be obtained in as little as 3 months in some places with 6 months being the average.

If the Paramedic has completed a college degree with all of the above classes, then the bridge may be 2 - 3 semesters or about 1 year.

Once the ambulance trip is over, the patient's care is done by the HOSPITAL staff RN. Even for hospital based Flight and CCT programs, the RNs (whether or not they also have EMT-P at the end of their name), may assist in the ICUs or EDs but must remain available for emergency transports.

PreHospital credentials like EMT or Paramedic may also not be recognized inside the walls of a hospital in some states due to the EMS statutes SPECIFICALLY stating PreHospital Only.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Vent, isn't the MICN cert in California more towards RNs providing online medical control than providing prehospital medical care?

Some of the CCT RNs that work for the ambulance services have the credential. It seems to been another individual county thing. Flight RNs that have their CFRN are exempt in the counties (Northern CA) that I am familiar with.