Arrythmia Identification

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I, as most of you know, am only an EMT-Basic. However, my job (yes! I got the job at the hospital!) requires me to go thru a self-study on arrythmia identification. Once I am off orientation, I will be monitering up to 28 EKG's, with my other duties. I must gain proficiency in arrythmia identification to get off orientation. Any, and all advice, especially pertaining to publications or training manuals from those of you that are I's or P's...would be tremendously helpful. Right now I am titled as a part-time unit secretary/monitor tech on the cardiac services floor, but will eventually move to full time. There is also discussion of putting me thru the hospital's OJT phlebotomy, so they can float me as a health tech in the future. For those of you that know arrythmia identification...is it hard to learn? Thanks all, I have found this EMT group to be supportive, informative.....an all-around good thing to be a part of. Have a great weekend!

--Maria

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Maria, I cant help you directly. I am only in the 4th week of medic school. The only thing I can think of to help is pick up an ACLS book. That should show you a lot of diffrent things, and even get you a step ahead on drugs to push, should you advance your cert.

Sorry, its the best I got.

Russ

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And don't forget to ask the floor nurse's what each rythym is.

Most will be happy to explain it to you.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Don't try to memorize each rhythm. Learn what causes each deflection in the ecg tracing and you can figure out what it means. Bob
Paddle 'em all...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
It is very hard to learn totally on your own, and be careful, a lot of nurses only know what the see, but not why... If I were you I'd call my county or State and see if there's an EMT critical care or paramedic class that is having cardiology classes that you could sit in on. There might also be a continuing ed cardiology class. Also, call American Heart (someone mentioned ACLS), I'm sure they have other specialized classes as well.

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Maria, I'm taking a guess that you're working at Carle. If so, they are offering an ACLS class sometime in OCT, I dont remember the exact date. They should cover your fees for the class since its job related continuing ed.

I've been thinking about it myself, but with any luck I'll have a new job as an ER tech by then... just waiting on a call (fingers crossed)!!:)

Just an idea, and good luck with the new job!

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm actually at Provena...right now as a unit secretary/monitor tech for cardiac services.....I'm hoping in the future to get on as an EMT (basic, right now) on a PRN basis at least with the ambulance service affiliated with Provena (PRO Ambulance) in the future. Do I even qualify to take ACLS? I didn't know I could take ACLS. I know I can take BTLS which I do need to do. I'm going to buy an ACLS book though, anyway. The volunteer fire department I'm on only has one intermediate, and is not available to help me. The tech position you're going for...is that at Carle?

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
AH, well, I had a 50/50 chance(Provena or Carle) :) I've asked around about an ACLS class, and although I haven’t gotten a definite answer from anyone, the general consensus is that virtually anyone can take the class... I guess the only way to find out for sure if we can take it as a basic is to try to enroll...

As for the Tech job, it’s at OSF St.Francis Medical Center in Peoria. It’s a huge facility that is constantly packed. I'm pretty excited!!

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
Recommendation:

Basic Arrythmias by Brady (Fifth Edition is the latest out.....though by now there might be a sixth).

It's a really good book that has all sorts of rhythms in it, and it's very good in regards to self-study.

shug

Forum Probie
I agree with Ray1129 on the Brady book. Basic dysrhythmias comes with a little pocket guide that really sums it up. Also you might chek out ACLS' website. just google "acls test" and you'll get articles that narrow thing down even further. Just know your cardiac cundictive system, what hapens when and what the deflection is supposed to look like on he paper. Once you know the normal lengths and widths of what stuff is supposed to be you can figure out what it going on and where in the heart. Not hard once you get it. Hang in there :D

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you all for the great advice, I will be checking out the ACLS guides mentioned and inquire about ACLS classes. You guys (and gals) are great!

EMS Maniac

Forum Probie
Originally posted by MariaCatEMT@Sep 17 2004, 03:44 PM
I, as most of you know, am only an EMT-Basic. However, my job (yes! I got the job at the hospital!) requires me to go thru a self-study on arrythmia identification. Once I am off orientation, I will be monitering up to 28 EKG's, with my other duties. I must gain proficiency in arrythmia identification to get off orientation. Any, and all advice, especially pertaining to publications or training manuals from those of you that are I's or P's...would be tremendously helpful.

Try the Brady "Basic Arrhythmias" book by Gail Walraven it has flash cards and simple easy to understand language. It is standard issue in the EMT-P courses here in Maryland.
Hope that helps you some - if not there is Mosby Lifeline ECGs MAde Easy.
Good luck with your new job!