Arizona Company

DetroitAmbo

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I'm planning a move to Phoenix area of AZ. I've been researching companies in that area and one particular one caught my eye. Maricopa Ambulance (owned by Priority Ambulance) they seem to be new to the area. Does anyone have any experience with either the AZ company or its owner, Priority?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I have had a few coworkers go over to work at maricopa ambulance and they seem to have no complaints. I believe their contract is restricted to urgent cares though as ABC ambulance has the contract for the behavioral center and AMR has the 911 primary and secondary contract for all of the cities and hospitals.

Mind if I ask what caught your eye about maricopa ambulance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DetroitAmbo

Forum Ride Along
Maricopa Ambulance resembles a company where I live currently. A small company with a corporate backing. I enjoy the family feeling those smaller companies have. They seem to be much more personal.

OP
OP
D

DetroitAmbo

Forum Ride Along
Okay thank you so much for the insight. I will be making this daunting move in just a few short months and having everyone here to assist me will be greatly appreciated. Have a great day and be safe!

FlightMedic303

Forum Ride Along
Ah, Then unfortunately AMR is going to be you one choice outside of a fire department/district.

@WildlandEMT89 @ViolynEMT

Question or two for you, I just moved to Phoenix a couple months ago and have been flying back and forth to Denver for work. I just interviewed with AMR today and was offered a Paramedic position contingent on XYZ....

Any way they explained to me that I will have the choice to work for either Southwest, PMT, or AMR Maricopa. I was told the AMR Maricopa will be the highest paying, then Southwest followed by PMT.

As most people, I really hope to work 911 but will bide my time doing IFT as necessary. Out of these three options, who would you recommend working for? I'm leaning towards selecting Southwest because I am told they have a higher probability of being able to work 911 and there is plenty of OT opportunity..

Thanks in advance for your input!

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
@WildlandEMT89 @ViolynEMT

Question or two for you, I just moved to Phoenix a couple months ago and have been flying back and forth to Denver for work. I just interviewed with AMR today and was offered a Paramedic position contingent on XYZ....

Any way they explained to me that I will have the choice to work for either Southwest, PMT, or AMR Maricopa. I was told the AMR Maricopa will be the highest paying, then Southwest followed by PMT.

As most people, I really hope to work 911 but will bide my time doing IFT as necessary. Out of these three options, who would you recommend working for? I'm leaning towards selecting Southwest because I am told they have a higher probability of being able to work 911 and there is plenty of OT opportunity..

Thanks in advance for your input!

I worked for southwest prior to being hired by AMR and they subsequently purchased SW and PMT.
Working at southwest you will have a greater chance of being placed into a 911 position quicker as they hold most of the contracts (don't expect this to change as amr won't take business away from one operation to benefit another) and place priority on staffing these rides. You may spend a long while being temp placed on rides as openings occur though.

If you don't mind working IFT I would go AMR maricopa as the wage is the highest by far for paramedics.

geoffhill51678

Forum Ride Along
Thinking of the move to Arizona also. I work for HVA out here n Ann Arbor mi. How is the pay and benefits at AMR? I'm at paramedic level. Glad I found this chat

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Thinking of the move to Arizona also. I work for HVA out here n Ann Arbor mi. How is the pay and benefits at AMR? I'm at paramedic level. Glad I found this chat

Medics are in the high teens-low twenties for pay and benefits are pricey (this can be true of everywhere though), my middle of the road health plan covering myself, my wife, and 3 kids cost $400 a paycheck.

FlightMedic303

Forum Ride Along

I'll let you know more once I start working haha...

These rates are for IFT but the 911/EMS rates equal the same annual salary for these:

AMR starts at $20
Southwest starts at $18
PMT (unknown at this time but told it pays the least)

Supposedly we get a .50 cent/hr raise for each year of experience at certification level up to 10 years...

geoffhill51678

Forum Ride Along
That's not too bad of a starting wage. I get decent benefits here at a little over a $100 a biweekly paycheck. So benefits that aren't as good make me a little nervous.

Sorry but What is an IFT?

geoffhill51678

Forum Ride Along
Ah got it. I work 24hr shifts here doing solely 911. Doing IFT is a soul sucker but it will pay the bills I guess lol

FlightMedic303

Forum Ride Along
Ah got it. I work 24hr shifts here doing solely 911. Doing IFT is a soul sucker but it will pay the bills I guess lol

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, even though AMR owns all those companies, you have to pick one to work for and stick with it.. AMR is primarily IFT while southwest sounds like more 911.

Their IFT schedule sounds like a rotating 36/48 hour weeks while 911 are 24hr shift Kelly schedule..

OP
OP
D

DetroitAmbo

Forum Ride Along

Geoff, how's HVA wages? Schooling benefits? I know the education program itself is known to be VERY well.

geoffhill51678

Forum Ride Along
Pay is good for private. I grossed $60,000 last year at step 5 senior medic. Benefits are good also! Blue cross and we pay a little over $200 a month for the family plan. Schooling is really good and they'll pay it if you give them a commitment to work there. I really like it here at HVA and they are fair. Really wish they have something comparable to HVA in Tucson?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Cypress Creek is hiring in Houston