Application

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I'm sorry if I had asked this before (still working on that first cup of coffee) but I didnt find anything on search, so maybe I'm ok.

Class starts in 2 days. I want to start work Aug/September-ish. We have a new company taking over the Ambulance Service in May. Should I wait until I get my license and NREMT before I apply? I have a feeling it will be pretty competitive against all of the current employees with the current service.

Ok, now I'm thinking I did ask this before. If I did- my apologies.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
For your EMT? Then yea, you need to wait to have your cert before you start applying.

Something about counting your chickens before they hatch.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Well, yeah, I'm starting classes on Wednesday. My question is, should I start seeking employment with the contingency that I pass my course (with a 93% pass rate and 100% NREMT pass rate). I guess I"ll just wait and cross my fingers.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Unless your area is in a dire need of EMT, it won't help. You have to try to make yourself stand out from the other people applying.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Especially of its as competitive as you're saying it is, they're never going to consider an application for a non-EMT.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I'm sorry if I had asked this before (still working on that first cup of coffee) but I didnt find anything on search, so maybe I'm ok.

Class starts in 2 days. I want to start work Aug/September-ish. We have a new company taking over the Ambulance Service in May. Should I wait until I get my license and NREMT before I apply? I have a feeling it will be pretty competitive against all of the current employees with the current service.

Ok, now I'm thinking I did ask this before. If I did- my apologies.
+1 on what Trauma Queen said. I tried to apply right after class and was told that I need my cert in hand.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thanks guys! Just excited.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
You could consider visiting agencies for "informational interviews", but not to apply. Getting your face out there may help when you do get your certificate and are ready to apply.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
EMS is typically extremely competitive. You will want to stand out, and will def want your certification (both national and state) prior to applying. After that, I would consider getting as many other certifications as you can. you want to be the best candidate in the employers eyes.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I tried to apply to places with only my certficate of class completion and that didn't work. One place let me submit an application and then told me to call back when I passed the state test. In that interim period they lost my application and totally forgot who I was (as expected).

Apply once the right way. If there is any way to not submit an online application, do that. Show up well-dressed with a packet including the application, resume, copies of relevant certifications/licenses (to include driver's), letters of recommendation, and a driving record. Even if you have to submit an online application, consider bringing a packet down in person to the company's HR person.

Do not piecemeal things though, that just annoys people.