Appendectomy for Paramedics

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have come to the conclusion that paramedics should have as standard practice the ability to perform appendectomy. This can be taught in just a matter of a few hours. It is a simple skill that does not require any real education behind it. What say you?

That's a bls skill in NYC

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Yes, 417, I can picture your joy in getting to do appendectomies lasting until you realize that after every call, the back of your rig is going to have to be surgically sterile to OR standards and YOU will have to do it!

I trust your hallucination has passed. ;)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Quick! Preemptive heart transplant go!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
sure, if you like.

http://voices.yahoo.com/15-year-old-boy-performs-surgery-410268.html

But the patient may get a little upset without anesthesia, which might complicate things.

Not to mention the unit is going to be out of service and the "big one" might happen and you will not be available to drive somebody more needing, critical, or deserving to the hospital.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
OR that 30-40% of appendicitis can be treated with IV antibiotics alone, and you can't determine that line without CBC with diff, CRP, d-dimer/fibrinogen for DIC, imaging studies, or the trip to the hospital being over before you can even prep them--- but I digress. I think there's a troll in our midst...

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
OR that 30-40% of appendicitis can be treated with IV antibiotics alone, and you can't determine that line without CBC with diff, CRP, d-dimer/fibrinogen for DIC, imaging studies, or the trip to the hospital being over before you can even prep them--- but I digress. I think there's a troll in our midst...

I think he's throwing a rock at some recent threads, doc ;)

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
I have to find it, but I vaguely recall reading a story about a Russian surgeon who was the doc stationed with an Antarctic several month expedition who developed appendicitis and he recalls performing an appy on himself.

Pretty hardcore. Makes me want to re-read it.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I did 10 of these when I was in Texas, working at the most rural and progressive EMS system EVER!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Lap bands, $10K a pop.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes, 417, I can picture your joy in getting to do appendectomies lasting until you realize that after every call, the back of your rig is going to have to be surgically sterile to OR standards and YOU will have to do it!

I trust your hallucination has passed. ;)

No sterile is overrated. We would just mass dose them with antibiotics. :rofl:

See how stupid it sounds to add skills that yes anyone can learn without the real education behind them. Sorry I am tired of lets add this or that yet not the science behind it. Yes I know this is EMS the land of tradition trumps science but come on people get the education if you want the toys.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
I digress even further. Lol

Sorry doc I finally had all I could take I could take no more. Do you guys offer a special padded room that comes with that comfy long sleeved jacket?;)

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
i-see-what-you-did-there.png

mycrofft

medic417, if we ever meet, I owe you a beer or soft drink.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider

mycrofft

If we're at the right venue. I don't drink, though.

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
NO MORE CPR....... Now we start with a chest crack and a cardiac massage! And instead of C-collars we will begin to apply our own prophalatic halo's on to pts, complete with screws and all. There will be an adapted made available in the near future for the EZ-io gun that will allow you to put these screws in place.

mycrofft

Halos, along with nitrous oxide, in the field were being expounded around 1980.
We had someone here a couple years ago say his service would allow them to open the chest in the field. Booed off.