Apparatus Maintenance

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
I was just curious what your station's policies are regarding washing and maintaining a clean ambulance. We are getting our first out ambulance ready for a parade this friday and we have been spending a long long long long long long time for preparing.

It's funny....I forget how big the ambulance really is until I am washing it and towel drying it. I wish we were taking our chase buggy instead! :lol:

What do you guys do for cleaning the apparatus? How often do you do it? What products do you like to use?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a pretty detailed infection control policy which required everything that touched a patient to be disinfected after each call. We wash down the patient compartment, the steering wheel, door handles (inside and out)

It's amazing how many things we touch with dirty gloves on. For an adventure sometime, have your local microbiology department run some cultures on surfaces inside your rig. It's a huge eye opener, you will never put another pen in your mouth as long as you live!

As far as the rest of the rig, we do equipment checks every week and clean it all out then. There are always a few new vollies who are happy to come wash the equipment just for fun, by the time they get tired of it, there's usually a new crop. We encourage it because it increases familiarity with the rig and what's on it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We wash our trucks routinely everyday or every other day dependent on weather. Inside is prn and every Saturday a detailed clean out. Each station has wash brushes and car soap. Usually, we attempt to meet at HQ and have a "group wash" to make it go faster and chew the fat....

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Every truck is washed with a brush and soapy water at the end of a shift. We have long brushes and a regular hose.

The insides are rarely cleaned. It's disgusting really.

OP
OP
K

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
The end of each shift?! aka twice a day? that's crazy!

I just ended day 3 of detailing this ambulance... I am NOT a fan of water stained diamond plating.

Anyone have any tricks for routine maintenance of diamond plating? :) I'd love some advice as I have spent the evening polishing the diamond plating on the back bumper with a toothbrush along with 2 other people and mother's brand metal polisher...

Thanks for your replies! :)

OP
OP
K

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yea, on a side note.... I finally got rid of the sterile generic ambulance disinfectant foam smell today! Our chief normally staffs the ambulance and has spent years in it....she went in it today and the first thing she said was "Wow, it smells really good in here!"

I always hated the smell in there, I switched to name brand Lysol disinfectant. HUGE difference! I was almost going to put a cheap pine tree air freshener inside there today for the parade/public walk-through coming up. Glad I did not have to do that...only place to really hang one would be on the IV bag holder on the stretcher...would look odd if I forgot to take it off before we ran a call :)

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
Cleaning

Keith,

I guess I would wonder why your ambulance is not parade ready at any time. Impress your patient and the family with your vehicle each and every day - day in and day out. Attitude about pristine ambulances is taught at the organizational level - if your are spending a great deal of time cleaning - everyone should re-evaluate the cleaning routine regardless of what it is. The clean ambulance is one of the first things people notice about a service. A daily easy routine or the once over after each and every call is the way to go. I always tell my partners and staff that they should treat their ambulances like their underwear - wash and change daily or especially when they get soiled. A week or a month is just to long for smelly underwear.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Every truck is washed with a brush and soapy water at the end of a shift. We have long brushes and a regular hose.

The insides are rarely cleaned. It's disgusting really.

We wash the outside of our trucks with brush and soapy water at the end of every shift as well. Windows and chrome are towel dried.

Inside is sweeped out with damp towels. All our trucks are very, very clean and well maintained.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
My biggest pet peeve (other than sheer incompetence), is an unsanitary truck. There is absolutely no excuse pulling up on a scene with a filthy truck, especially on the inside. Would you want your loved one being treated and transported inside a petri dish?????? The interior should be disinfected and sterilized after EVERY call and the exterior washed every day. Granted we can't control the outside elements, but to not wash the truck for days on end or even weeks is in my mind a disregard of policy and sheer laziness. In other words, you would not work for me for very long...............

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
We don't wash them. Our service has little fairies that come in at night and was and stock the trucks for us. AHHHHH the luxuries of life!

cw15321

Forum Crew Member
I worked for a service that was very busy, but on the inside the trucks had to always look like the begining of the shift. Some of the hospitals would have a bucket of cleaning fluid and a mop to help us out. But there was always the case such as flying someone where we had worked a pt but never went to the ER, so we carried some wipes and stole a lot of towels from the ER to clean the back. The outside had to be washed with soap on the outside no matter what they looked like at the end of each shift. As for being ready for a parade we never did that.:)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our local hospital infection control supervisor will come out and culture the back of the ambulance for us. It's a real eye opener and seems to improve the cleanliness for about the next 6 months or so. As soon as we see the level start to drop, we call for another culture.

Make friends with your local microbiologist. It's a sure way to guarantee new cleaning protocols.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
When it comes to washing the ambulance it gets done after every call,unless its raining out,which then it would just get put back in the bay. The ambulance and fire department work together well so they split the cost of a power washer that was bought to be used to wash the ambulance,fire apparatus, the bay doors,and also the hoses when they pull them off the trucks. Some guys used it to even wash their POVs.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I haven't seen any cultures done, but my private company keeps a box of alcohol/disinfectant wipes in the back of every truck, and they're used after every call. They're convenient and effective. I found myself wiping the ceiling off at one point, actually.

The outside of the ambulance gets attention whenever our fleet maintenance guy yells at us. That occurs a lot more often than you might think.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
We have a pretty detailed infection control policy which required everything that touched a patient to be disinfected after each call. We wash down the patient compartment, the steering wheel, door handles (inside and out)

It's amazing how many things we touch with dirty gloves on. F
Ya on my last ride along they had me wipe down all of the surfaces that are touched by gloves and it was icky! And they do it everyday!!

I know that for my station each ambulance is done all of the time...at least twice a week (only because they aren't out ALL of the time) and if there is a really dirty call (like a unpaved road) they get washed sooner. The thing that aren't used often (like the firetrucks are washed probably once a week or so (they are used even more less than the ambulances))

We don't wash them. Our service has little fairies that come in at night and was and stock the trucks for us. AHHHHH the luxuries of life!

Holy cow...where do you work???? Thats AWESOME!

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
washing goes down every weekend... the wonders of community service people

inside we keep clean by mopping the floor after every call and wiping down the stretcher with germicidal wipes.

Parade prep goes on and takes the ambulance to clean to the enth degree. We put armor all an every surface (yes that includes the bench seat... no radio comments Jon) and so far, we have come in as the 2nd best appearing apparatus in the STATE (and that includes the fire trucks) we are trying for 1st place this year with 3 weeks to parade. The truck is last out and cleaning started today. Look out Monroe Township EMS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I like that idea even better....leave the back doors open and put the pedal to the metal. Leave em on the pavement behind you.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We clean the exterior of our bus just about every other day. The fire trucks somehow get extremely dirty extremely fast and we end up cleaning them fairly often. When we have the hose and brushes out we inevitably grab at least two of the cop-cars (usually the chief's) and the ambulance.

In terms of interior, after every call where blood/guts are exposed (that includes those where we get a line) we clean the cot with germacidal wipes and mop the floor. About once a week, we give all door knobs and bars a good cleaning and all cabinet doors. About every six months, everything is taken out of the ambulance, all cabinets cleaned and everything replaced.

We have a new ambulance on order and it is expected in Mid-November. With that said, we are only patching the ambulance up long enough to make it to the new one.