Anyone work for Durham county EMS?

adwr070621

Forum Probie
I really don't want to clog up the site with a bunch of repetitive questions that seasoned folk get tired of seeing. I suppose I'm just nervous like the rest of the people out there just starting out or moving to a new state. Most people here seem to be pretty informative and helpful though.

medic4826

Forum Probie
In order to get reciprocity in NC you have to fill out the information on CIS first. The state will then send you a reciprocity packet. You either have to be hired by an agency or show proof you live in the state. Its really easy. If you are going the route of getting hired first you have to have that agency send a letter saying they are in the process of hiring you. I came down from NY, did the assessment center, then the hiring officer for EMS sent a letter saying they were going to hire me. Once that was done, I sent back the packet the state sent and I got my card in less than 2 weeks. NC accepts any state cards.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I really don't want to clog up the site with a bunch of repetitive questions that seasoned folk get tired of seeing. I suppose I'm just nervous like the rest of the people out there just starting out or moving to a new state. Most people here seem to be pretty informative and helpful though.

Eh, when you're asking about a specific agency, especially one that hasn't been talked about before you're not clogging anything up, that's what forums are for but that's just my opinion.

Alright sorry done hijacking.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In order to get reciprocity in NC you have to fill out the information on CIS first. The state will then send you a reciprocity packet. You either have to be hired by an agency or show proof you live in the state. Its really easy. If you are going the route of getting hired first you have to have that agency send a letter saying they are in the process of hiring you. I came down from NY, did the assessment center, then the hiring officer for EMS sent a letter saying they were going to hire me. Once that was done, I sent back the packet the state sent and I got my card in less than 2 weeks. NC accepts any state cards.

Gotcha. Looking at it it doesn't seem like that tough of a process especially since they accept any state and/or the NREMT. Just seems like a pain to get a NC DL just to apply for a job...and I have no doubt you have to show proof of residency to get a NC DL.

medic4826

Forum Probie
Well see thats the thing...you need a NC DL to work, not apply. I had a NY DL when I applied and got mine the day after I moved to NC. As long as your driving record is good, you won't have issues on that end. You can't get a NC DL without living here.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
Medic,

I've got the packet completed and it is sent out. I'm wondering how AEMT will transfer here given that it seems everyone is looking for Intermediates, and how the Advanced will translate into one of the Intermediates because I know there is a difference. Also if I will be granted EMT-B along with the AEMT or the EMT-I since I have sent both certs to the state.

medic4826

Forum Probie
I transferred P to P. NC EMT-I cert is special to the state so you would have to talk to the OEMS (office of EMS) to determine that one.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
Can you define a "good" driving record? I have a speeding ticket and another improper left hand turn. Stupid. No DUIs or anything serious, just those 2 violations.

medic4826

Forum Probie
Durham County is self insured...so risk management is very very particular on your driving record. Depending on what occurred and the outcome, you may have to explain that to the Risk Manager...I know a few ppl who had 2 or 3 tickets and didn't get hired.

OP
OP
B

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Damn what a bummer about the state drivers license and state medic card . I would love to be part of an organization like durham county EMS.

medic4826

Forum Probie
Keep an eye open...we will be hiring again soon. Like I said if you got a valid state DL and medic card you can apply. You have to come here to do the assessment center but you can easily get them moved over to NC.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
Damn what a bummer about the state drivers license and state medic card . I would love to be part of an organization like durham county EMS.

Once you establish here it's easy, but you're out of state right? I had to wait till I moved here as well. I had my reciprocity packet months ago. I know if you have a promise to hire from someone, the NC DL thing is waived. Try it out dude. NC is a great place to live, I'm very happy to have moved back here.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
Medic,

When Durham is hiring again, will it be posted on the Durham County EMS website? And is this the kind of place that acknowledges connections from applicants to employees? (As in friends, nepotism...anything like that?) Because I have zero connections to anybody in EMS here.

medic4826

Forum Probie
Yeah its the only way to get reciprocity unless you live here. And technically you can drive in any state with any state issued license so. Most counties down here hire multiple times a year.

medic4826

Forum Probie
I would guess we be hiring in the next 3 months. I know there are plan for more trucks and its EMS, ppl always come and go. It would be posted on the Durham County website but most of the time it gets put on the NCEMS website too! I know they do like recommendations but its all about the assessment center. If you ace that, your set.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
I'm assuming the assessment for EMTs will be fairly simple? Patient assessments, airway, bleeding, cardiac (codes?), etc... just proving you can execute the motions of patient care? Plus the physical things like lifting, moving of course. The website makes it seem pretty easy to pass.

medic4826

Forum Probie
standard stuff like you said...be able to assess a patient, treat properly, manage a scene. Standard agility test, written test and standard interview. We wanna make sure you have basics down.