Anyone with AMR?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
AMR is a 911 provider for the county just south of me in metro-Atlanta. I dropped an application off on Friday in person, I interviewed on the spot. I keep a notebook with me that has all of the paperwork they would possibly need. I was able to give them everything they wanted on the spot. Within 1 hour they had made an appointment for my drug and agility test and notified me of the date.. which I did this morning. I think that is a great turn around, time wise.

I don't know much about the company but I do know they are willing to give me a shot when not many people are willing to take someone with no experience, fresh out of school. They pay better than most of the services around here (unless I go somewhere like Grady who won't even begin to look at me for a year or 2) and it seems that the insurance plan is awesome which is very important to me.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
AMR Varies greatly from area to area, Here in Northern California its very hard to get a job with them (most of the people I know that work for them were on their waiting list for about a year). Right now there are a ton of EMTs in the area hunting for jobs so things are a bit competative.

santaclaraco

Forum Ride Along
I agree with Monk - my feeling is that AMR varies from county to county - not just within N. CA. As an employee of AMR for over 8 years I can tell you that money is a factor with this ambulance provider - the folks on the thread are correct - we are for-profit. However, this profit goes towards your salary (the best in the business), new ambulances, better equipment, your healthcare, and your safety - as well as keeping AMR alive and running.

Money or no money - revenue or no revenue - that AMR employee broke a policy. There are plenty of EMT's waiting in line to take that employees job; who will follow the rules.

The loss of profit for that transport is not the reason for the policy not to move patients in their own personal wheelchairs...across a parking lot, in a crosswalk across the street, or whatever the case was in that other users reply. I can tell you for a fact that management in the Santa Clara County Operations has written off thousands of dollars for patients in hardships who call for assistance - this is a workplace that cares for it's patients and it's community. Wildfire? Chip? Shoulder...?

If you are the type of individual that is going to break the rules or policies, don't bother to apply with AMR. With the hiring process now in place at each individual Operation, AMR is severing ties with new employees who they feel are not a fit with their mission statement in their first week of orientation. You are correct - there are maaannny people waiting to work for AMR and AMR is now using that to their advantage.

Every company is going to have it's negatives. And the negatives go both ways - how many employees don't get insurance information, document poorly, or NEVER turn in their paperwork so AMR can bill? There is a whole other side to an ambulance "business" than providing patient care.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can tell you for a fact that management in the Santa Clara County Operations has written off thousands of dollars for patients in hardships who call for assistance - this is a workplace that cares for it's patients and it's community.
I wouldn't doubt otherwise, but the decision for pro bono or reduced cost service should lie with management and billing, not the provider.
Every company is going to have it's negatives. And the negatives go both ways - how many employees don't get insurance information, document poorly, or NEVER turn in their paperwork so AMR can bill? There is a whole other side to an ambulance "business" than providing patient care.

icon14.gif