Anyone heard of the drug "spices"

jeremy83

Forum Ride Along
I had a patient who initially was unconscious and vomiting. He came to a bit and was able to say that he smoked marijuana and took "spices". Anyone had experience with that? Normal BP, tachycardic at around 145.

Thanks

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Spice is synthetic marijuana. Often called K2 as well. I've seen tachycardia and seizures associated with it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep. It's supposed to not show up in regular drug tests so people can get high and test clean. There have been some really bad side effects from spice though.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
yes. it is stupid stuff stupid people use to do stupid things. pretty common thing in Phoenix, AZ - at least while I was there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
dune_cat_spice_must_flow-475x267.jpg

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I've seen it a handful of times, all of them younger guys. They said that it doesn't show up on drug tests and usually gets you high like marijuana. One was a seizure and the rest were just general paranoia freakouts. One guy was convinced he was having a heart attack and was demanding "those little pills" which I assume were NTG...?

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't seen it in a while. I have most commonly seen anxiety as a result but have seen seizures. I've transported a few patients to a psych facility with a new Dx of Schizophrenia after using K2. I have seen a few articles linking the two but not really anything scientific.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I haven't seen it in a while. I have most commonly seen anxiety as a result but have seen seizures. I've transported a few patients to a psych facility with a new Dx of Schizophrenia after using K2. I have seen a few articles linking the two but not really anything scientific.

Very scary stuff.

These designer drugs are bad news. They almost make meth look completely safe. Totally different ballgame than the "traditional" intoxicants that were common when I was a street medic.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
It's dying off from what I've seen. Used to see/ hear about it every day. Haven't heard anything about in a good 5 or 6 months, at least at my hs.
Its nasty, though. Some girl I know lost her kid, because she smoked it during pregnancy, because "it's not a drug, it doesn't show up on tests". One local kid, 12 years old, also died from seizures and his friends dipped on him and left him there seizing.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I remember hearing a while back that the DEA was placing a 6 month ban on stores carrying it. can't find the article thou.....anyone remember hearing about this?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I remember hearing a while back that the DEA was placing a 6 month ban on stores carrying it. can't find the article thou.....anyone remember hearing about this?
Problem with that is that, since its synthetic, they can jutlst change one compound and it's no longer classified as a banned version of spice. As has banned tons and they always end up back on shelves with a different formula.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I used to see it nearly every shift 1-2 years ago. Now I very rarely see it. Seems to be losing popularity down here.

socoemt

Forum Probie
I've seen it a handful of times, all of them younger guys. They said that it doesn't show up on drug tests and usually gets you high like marijuana. One was a seizure and the rest were just general paranoia freakouts. One guy was convinced he was having a heart attack and was demanding "those little pills" which I assume were NTG...?

Just fyi, there are tests that can register spice or k2 now. I work part time at a clinic that does testing and we have had them for about 4 months now.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a kid recently seizing to the point of almost being status. He had smoked K2. Nasty stuff

sinus

Forum Probie
It's dying off from what I've seen. Used to see/ hear about it every day. Haven't heard anything about in a good 5 or 6 months, at least at my hs.
Its nasty, though. Some girl I know lost her kid, because she smoked it during pregnancy, because "it's not a drug, it doesn't show up on tests". One local kid, 12 years old, also died from seizures and his friends dipped on him and left him there seizing.

That's good to hear that its use is dwindling in your area. "Spice" is a generic term for any kind of synthetic cannabinoid chemical (it's constantly changing to stay ahead of the law, but the pharmacology of most of them is very similar)

I always thought that stuff was garbage. Status? Psychosis resembling schizophrenia? And its perception as not being a drug (complete BS, it's as strong as they come) and therefore ok to use during pregnancy? A *death* from its causing a seizure? From a marijuana substitute? Completely insane.

What's worse is that it's only used because marijuana is tested for and illegal to possess. I don't think marijuana is harmless or some kind of wonder drug, and I don't personally like it, but if spice and other synthetic cannabinoids are the alternative...

Last edited by a moderator: