Any 'younger' medics?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I was a medic at 18, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Now I am saddled with a very young partner and I realize the folly of youth.

No wonder I used to get complaints. People skills grow with age and wisdom, but they are needed from the beginning.

I wasn't a medic at that age, but I can say that I sure as hell wasn't really ready to be one and be the kind of person to make it happen is a good way.

I've mellowed out at 33 ;-)

To the OP, and this is from experience, but if someone accuses you of acting like a kid...you may very well be acting like a kid. It's a hard pill to swallow, and the hubris of youth makes it difficult to perceive it because we think we have it handled at that age.

Also, there are lots of young medics that do an amazing job, but regardless of how well they do, they will always be judged on their appearance. It sucks, but keep at it.

On a slightly related note, I work with A lOT of different cultures at my full time gig, and some of them place little or no value on the words and opinions of women. It sucks, but I've stood there and watched women partners tell one of these (not always men) patients something and get completely ignored. I then say the same thing verbatim with results...sigh. It makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
Paramedic about to test registry in a month. Turned 19 a week ago.

HI YOUNG PEOPLE. I haven't seen you guys in action at all. All the old people judge me for my age haha.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm younger than dead. Although I have a few more sore muscles and aches and pains than I used to, I still feel like I'm in my 20's, just with a more mature view!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
On age...I make no apologies for being only 24. Sure, I may not have "life experience" or "time served", but I am ambitious, know what I want and am quite intelligent and capable of outperforming the standard. Age is nothing but a number. "Veterans" may have a wealth of information and experience...or 1 year of experience repeated xx times.

In general though, I trust the younger, smarter provider over the old traditionalist.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
On age...I make no apologies for being only 24. Sure, I may not have "life experience" or "time served", but I am ambitious, know what I want and am quite intelligent and capable of outperforming the standard. Age is nothing but a number. "Veterans" may have a wealth of information and experience...or 1 year of experience repeated xx times.

In general though, I trust the younger, smarter provider over the old traditionalist.

I can see where you would think that, but it's really important to be able to tell the difference. Those are the ones that have something to teach you.

I'm sure you aren't one of those like that, I'm just being a little preemptive for all the ones who might take your comment and run.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

With only those options, I'd also take the smarter provider, regardless of age. Fortunately, there are also smart veterans out there. They may not be as plentiful as we'd hope, but they do exist. In my opinion, that's the best possible combination. Someone who has seen enough to know how things go wrong yet is still adaptable enough to recognize that past experience doesn't always repeat itself? Yes please!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm younger than Firetender!

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I'm 19, been an EMT since January and my station is putting me through AEMT here in about a month! Really can't wait! Plan on getting ff certified next spring and eventually going paramedic.

I do have a question though.. How many of you guys went to college for a paramedic degree? I'm debating between doing my two years of general studies and then getting a bachelor degree in paramedicine or just going for the certification. Is the degree really worth it?

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
I'm in that category. started medic school at 19, certified at 20. Know enough to know that I don't know anything, though.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I am 21 and a AEMT, hope to be in paramedic training in about a year or so. Started off on a fire department when I was 15 which really helped me realize my passion for EMS.