ANY CARRY-CHAIR USER OUT THERE?

melianeb

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a project for my master's in mechanical engineering, focusing on improving the carry-chair. Many EMS professionals seem dissatisfied with the current designs, and I'm particularly interested in hearing about your experiences and recommendations for enhancements. For your information, I am working on the Stryker model.

What are the main issues you encounter with the current carry-chair designs? Any specific features or improvements you would like to see? Your feedback will be invaluable in helping me create a better, more efficient product that meets the needs of EMS workers.

Thank you in advance for your insights!

téléchargement.jpg

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Moved to appropriate forum

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I started back in the day before we had treads... some chairs didn't even have wheels. When I say the tread design was a game changer and a back saver, I'm not exaggerating.

As for what I don't like about it, at least compared to other models:
1) it's heavy, at least compared to the older style. with a two person crew, carrying it, along with all of the other equipment, you run out of hands quickly. If you can cut the weight, while maintaining the strength, it would be awesome.
2) It's difficult to use on narrow landings with 45 & 90 degree turns, due to the lower arms. Or unstable / uneven steps.
3) the treads are great for going down, not so much going up (ie, moving someone out of a basement and to the first floor).

When I worked urban EMS full time, my truck ALWAYS had two chairs; the one with treads and the other style. for some of our houses, the smaller chairs maneuvered better, with the tradeoff being providers were carrying all of the weight. I can recall one particular house where we were in a backup truck, and had to call another unit to bring us the smaller chair to carry out the patient.

But overall, I wouldn't say anyone is dissatisfied with the chair, at least not any more than over worked and underpaid people are dissatisfied with things in general.