Anxiously Waiting...

Andy1991

Forum Ride Along
I called and asked why i didnt get the job last time, itll serve as a learning cursor :p

Any idea what skills your tested on?

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I'd hire one that also knows how to follow orders, procedures, protocol, and has attention to those small details. Noticing it, then not doing anything about it would be laziness. If he's going to do that pre-hire, he's definitely going to do that post-hire or after a few months or years on the job. And it's not just medical procedures I'm worried about...day to day stuff around the station like station duties.

Truth

Being an EMT-B is about following procedures and protocols. Your main job is going to mainly be holding a gurney and having proper paperwork. Lawyers love to nitpick at people's paperwork.

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
i worked as an emt for 6 months, i think i got an idea about paperwork/protocols/procedures

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
^^^ relax guys there is a big difference between a printout from the dmv and medical skills and paperwork, i was going to get a new printout no matter what, i just was wandering if they wouldnt care. I mean its only over by 3 days.... im not being lazy about it, i just wanted to know since i cant make an appointment with right off the bat. Why is it 30 days or less anyhow? insurance reasons or something?

Uh, no, there's not a big difference. It speaks about your character. Are you the type of person who follows directions or do you decide on your own whether the instruction is important enough to follow if it's an inconvenience.

Remember, it's not just medical procedures they're worried about. A lot of people are great EMTs, but crappy employees. The example I gave was doing station chores...taking out the trash is less important than your H6...so if you're skimping out on that, you might skimp out on things like chores...or making sure you fill up on gas before end of shift.

I know you stated that you have 6 months experience as an argument for why you know about procedures...but that statement actually gives less credibility. If that had been GOOD experience, you'd have learned that lesson already. Just being honest.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Well at least you didn't automatically get shut down and slapped in the face, lol.

I applied and literally 1 hour later they emailed me back saying they are going with other candidates. Sigh.

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
your making an argument comparing an easy simple question I asked to doing job duties and now your pretty much insulting me. Your trying to lecture me on character!? look at the way your replying to my posts, get a life dude. Do you like to just log on and start arguments or are you actually going to act like a person with decent morals and character and awnser my question..... about a h6 printout!!! not about knowing your duties on th job. I feel bad for whoever gets stuck with you on the rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting EMTLIFE drama is interesting.

Wiggle

Forum Crew Member
your making an argument comparing an easy simple question I asked to doing job duties and now your pretty much insulting me. Your trying to lecture me on character!? look at the way your replying to my posts, get a life dude. Do you like to just log on and start arguments or are you actually going to act like a person with decent morals and character and awnser my question..... about a h6 printout!!! not about knowing your duties on th job. I feel bad for whoever gets stuck with you on the rig.

Anthony was trying to give you some good, honest advice. I think you missed the point... If you're freaking out this much about something someone over the internet said to you, I really do wonder how you handle real situations (even with your co-workers). Would you flip out at them too for trying to give you some good, honest advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
hahaha internet drama is the best duhh hahaha but i agree with what he was telling me, but it just was in a way that i feel like he was trying to make me feel stupid or something. I dont like that at all. So i appologize if i started anything with anybody, time to move on.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief

The question about the H6 was already addressed...that we don't know. But a side discussion did arise about attention to detail/procedure. You replied to it, so it's totally normal for people to reply back and that creates a discussion. Also, you said "are you actually going to act like a person with decent morals and character and awnser my question". Really? If someone doesn't know your answer, but wants to discuss attention to procedure, it's bad morals and character?

And remember, I never said you had bad character. You told us "relax guys there is a big difference between a printout from the dmv and medical skills and paperwork".

As someone who has done interviewing and new hire training both in different settings, including the ambulance field, that was really far off. So, I decided to follow-up on that with another comment. With applicants, it's generally assumed that the little things are signs of big things later. Under the assumption that when applying, you're giving us your very very best behavior. We're seeing you at 100%.

We also look at how you handle conflict. Your reply was aggressive, rather than a learning opportunity from those in the field you're trying to get into.

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
theres also a big difference in typing words to someone and saying it to them in real life. Soo i took it in in a way that maybe you didnt mean to say it. Soo for that im sorry. You made really good points and advise, but i just felt like you were trying to make me feel stupid with the long paragraphs and effort in the typing. Thats how i read it. I believe in solving things right off the bat in a conflicting situation. Thats why im ending this.:rolleyes:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I would remind everyone that the first rule is "be polite".