Another newbie here...

KJemt

Forum Ride Along
Hello all! I thought I'd introduce myself, y'all seem so friendly. I have been in the EMT-B class since August through my Highschool (I am a senior). I love it so far and I can't wait until I get out into the field. I'm a little worried because I really want to become a paramedic and work for the city I live in. The only problem is you have to be a certified firefighter and I just don't know if I can do that because of the physical tests. I guess it just all depends, but thats me! :D

~*Kayla*~

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to our group of strange and sometimes deranged! Okay not just sometimes.....most of the time! :p

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the group Kayla. Have you looked into what the fire department actually requires?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Welcome, I definately understand the FF/EMS issue, I am never going to be a FF, not for the physical issue, but I just don't "get it." I prefer to leave the burning of my corpse until after I am dead, rather than while I'm still in it. Of course I do things that my FF friends think are absolutely insane. But I wax eloquent, but welcome to the group.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Dec 7 2004, 03:06 PM
I prefer to leave the burning of my corpse until after I am dead, rather than while I'm still in it. Of course I do things that my FF friends think are absolutely insane.
What's so insane about putting the wet stuff on the red stuff? :p

Personally, I don't think I could do just EMS without having the fire side thrown into it once in a while. After all, what other profession allows you to go into someone's home, break all of their things, and then they thank you for it? :D

Kayla, I would also like to welcome you to the group. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the physical part. If this is really what you want to do and you've got the time before the test, start a work out program that will bring you above the minimum standards for passing.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Luno@Dec 7 2004, 03:06 PM
I prefer to leave the burning of my corpse until after I am dead, rather than while I'm still in it.  Of course I do things that my FF friends think are absolutely insane.

Proper training, equipment, and teamwork help prevent crispy fried firefighters. Of course, there is a lot of danger involved... but if you can't handle that and you don't feel silly knowing that a little blond girl from NY is braver than you....

(Just kidding of course, it's definitely NOT for everyone, but Kayla, you can do it if you want to - you have plenty of sisters out there who came before you and plenty more who will follow. :) )

Luno

OG
Premium Member
but if you can't handle that and you don't feel silly knowing that a little blond girl from NY is braver than you....
Oh, little blond girl is throwing down the gauntlet, hehehe, I just prefer "firefights" with things that I can neutralize immediately. Somehow, I just don't see you in tac armor, with a long arm, side arm, ringers, TQs, QuikClot, etc... B) But I just want my body well done when I've gotten done with it. I'm just playing with ya, girl, but seriously, I just pick different fights, I'm more confident in dealing with a "human" threat vs. an environmental. BTW, I am no longer riding rigs.... well, at least not the class I/II/III anymore.

luke :ph34r:

oh, and kayla, not to second the little blond girl, but everything is mental, it all comes down to how much you want something, and how much you're willing to sacrifice for it. You can get it if you want it bad enough.