And they want to take over EMS!

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Over a 12 year period? Are they serious? How on earth can something like that be hidden for so long? Holy crap that is nuts. Glad I dont live in OK.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Believe it or not, this really does not bother me other than the dishonesty. Reregistration and CEU's are really a joke, one could teach how to bathe your dog as to prevent fleas and ringworm's thus preventing spread of diseases and viruses, hence public health(over exaggeration). Although it is supposed to be r/t the NHTSA, this would really limit CEU's and technically one would be just performing a refresher.... Which in itself is also a joke.

I am sure that they as most larger FD have really met the requirements of CEU's. Even a simple academy will meet most requirements and again having only two CEU's a month or for a Paramedic one CEU a month.

Amazing most states do not require RN's to have CEU's or a refresher course. The reason is simple they received a real education and as such should realize as a professional to maintain that level. I have yet ever heard a nurse complain of having to take an educational course r/t their working environment. They expect it. Also, hospitals naturally know and are required to have such to meet accreditation requirements.

So which is better require CEU's or require a real education in the profession to begin with. Yes, I am all for continuing one's education but it should be expanding upon the base of an well founded education.

R/r 911

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Believe it or not, this really does not bother me other than the dishonesty. Reregistration and CEU's are really a joke, one could teach how to bathe your dog as to prevent fleas and ringworm's thus preventing spread of diseases and viruses, hence public health(over exaggeration). Although it is supposed to be r/t the NHTSA, this would really limit CEU's and technically one would be just performing a refresher.... Which in itself is also a joke.

I am sure that they as most larger FD have really met the requirements of CEU's. Even a simple academy will meet most requirements and again having only two CEU's a month or for a Paramedic one CEU a month.

Amazing most states do not require RN's to have CEU's or a refresher course. The reason is simple they received a real education and as such should realize as a professional to maintain that level. I have yet ever heard a nurse complain of having to take an educational course r/t their working environment. They expect it. Also, hospitals naturally know and are required to have such to meet accreditation requirements.

So which is better require CEU's or require a real education in the profession to begin with. Yes, I am all for continuing one's education but it should be expanding upon the base of an well founded education.

R/r 911

Ok I get that they are just refresher courses, and that being in the feild and learning as you go that is important. I understand, what I dont understand is if it is just a simple refresher why not just do it and get it over with and most importantly why lie about it.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And they want to take over EMS!

In all fairness, the FDs had EMS first if you don't count the Freedom House Ambulance service. Since the FDs wrote many of the EMS history books, Freedom House isn't counted.

This agency is not the first and only ones to ever do this.

http://www3.cw56.com/news/articles/local/BO98628/

Extra medical training or education, even if it is just a refresher, may not be a priority for some who are not medically inclined and just have it added on to their career job. But, it is also not exclusive to just FFs or LEOs.

Town frustrated with claim that police falsified EMT training

HAMILTON, Mass. -- Hamilton residents voiced their frustration Monday evening after learning some of the town's EMT were not properly trained.

A state investigation revealed that members of the Hamilton Police Department, including the chief, routinely falsified EMT training records by claiming to have taken classes that were never held.

The state Office of Emergency Medical Services suspended the EMT licenses of one former and eight current officers, including Chief Walter Cullen, saying the department's actions "endangered public health and safety."

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
In my neck of the woods FD is a serious lot of incompetent fools when it comes to EMS. Real real bad in most regards. There are a few souls that have it right, but taken as a whole they are a soup sandwich.

Denver Fire got nailed a few years ago due large in part to the fact that ALL (upwards of 1000) of their CPR cards expired on the same day. It's a large department and for all their cards to go off on the same day os a little odd. The city basically forbade them from managing their own training.

CE hours? That is a long and bad joke. There are those that take continuing education seriously and benefit from it. Most of the rest just go through the motions in order to "get the hours". Really a shame. Shocking that so many people still refer to us a ambulance drivers.

Egg

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Theory: Maybe if they left EMS to EMTs and paramedics and left fire to firefighters, this wouldn't be a problem. Firefighters don't want anything to do with EMS, so they lie about doing ConEd. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Another example of why fire-based EMS FAILS HARD. What if everybody who wanted to work at McDonald's had to be a Real Estate Agent.