An Issue of Safety

Hal9000

Forum Captain
When I'm not in college or working career EMS, I sometimes volunteer for an ambulance service in a small, rural town. The service area has one QRU/S, two ambulances, and two fire departments, one a rural and one a city.

I am interested in addressing safety issues diplomatically. When I log on to Facebook and see things like the following, I am split between dismay and anger; the anger stems from knowing that irresponsible behavior is celebrated, even though it could kill innocent people.

What is an appropriate way to approach an individual who has done the following? Thanks for any help.

picture.php

I am inclined to say that such matters are hard to solve in a volunteer world insulated from outside practices and, to be truthful, the fact that volunteers aren't indestructible by virtue of their "job." See this thread for an example: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13098&highlight=wreck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
As a flaw of that organization, there is no safety officer. However, it may be best if I contact both the medical director and fire chief, as it involves them both to a degree.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
As there is no safety officer, printing out an unedited screen shot would probably be the most appropriate thing to do. I'm not sure how your medical director comes into it since it doesn't involve medical care?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
As there is no safety officer, printing out an unedited screen shot would probably be the most appropriate thing to do. I'm not sure how your medical director comes into it since it doesn't involve medical care?

He could say he doesn't want someone who behaves like that acting on his license and not let him practice.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless you witnessed it, I don't advice blowing the whistle on this. Although it is extremely immature, it is facebook and he is a guy. Guys brag and make up things to seem cool on facebook. Or maybe It's just me

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've been defriended for it, but I report unprofessionalism on facebook to whoever's in authority over the person.

I hate, hate, HATE being guilty by association with EMS providers like that. People in the community really and truly desire to receive the best possible care by their medics, and believe that they will arrive at the hospital safely if they need a ride in an ambulance.

People can not believe this if you are portraying yourself as a reckless adolescent on FB.

I'm truly sorry if that's what you think being a guy is. There is SO much more to life.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Thanks.

Firstly, this volunteer work is not my life, nor even a significant part of it. I'm irritated that I even care enough to post it here, or to give it any further thought. However, my family, should they ever need it, will receive care from these people, so I have an interest in seeing some improvement.

The medical director, in this case, has dealt with a similar problem on the service before, and he is active enough per the bylaws to set standards; in this case, response standards. What adam notes is correct. I am indeed going to be printing off a screen shot, keeping in mind that two people lost their lives. I've included an updated screenshot below. (The last one I'll post.)

He could say he doesn't want someone who behaves like that acting on his license and not let him practice.

Yes, desk duty.

Unless you witnessed it, I don't advice blowing the whistle on this. Although it is extremely immature, it is facebook and he is a guy. Guys brag and make up things to seem cool on facebook. Or maybe It's just me

See the updated FB status. Also, multiple accounts corroborated the story, and a similar event happened previously. I am disgusted that these "professionals" would act so callously in public when lives were lost. It seems that it was nothing other than "one hell of a call" for them.

I've been defriended for it, but I report unprofessionalism on facebook to whoever's in authority over the person.

I hate, hate, HATE being guilty by association with EMS providers like that. People in the community really and truly desire to receive the best possible care by their medics, and believe that they will arrive at the hospital safely if they need a ride in an ambulance.

People can not believe this if you are portraying yourself as a reckless adolescent on FB.

I'm truly sorry if that's what you think being a guy is. There is SO much more to life.

Very true. I am willing to be associated with a terrible service only because I wish to see it bettered for the sake of my loved ones. I receive no other benefit from association.

Updated shot:

picture.php

Aidey

True, I guess I see it as a chain of command thing. If one of my coworkers screws up, I don't go straight to the medical director, I go to my supervisor, and they forward it on. If the higher ups decide the medical director needs to be involved, they will contact him.

People have and will continue to get reprimanded and fired for stuff they post on facebook and other social networking sites. Not only is it a matter of safety, but also professionalism and public relations. Even if the person isn't punished for unsafe driving, he should be for unprofessional behavior. Actions have consequences and all that.

The medical director, in this case, has dealt with a similar problem on the service before, and he is active enough per the bylaws to set standards; in this case, response standards. What adam notes is correct. I am indeed going to be printing off a screen shot, keeping in mind that two people lost their lives. I've included an updated screenshot below. (The last one I'll post.)

See the updated FB status. Also, multiple accounts corroborated the story, and a similar event happened previously. I am disgusted that these "professionals" would act so callously in public when lives were lost. It seems that it was nothing other than "one hell of a call" for them.

See my chain of command comment above re the Medical director.

Maybe it is because I don't live in the area, but from the FB comments I had no idea 1. What kind of incident it was (Fire, EMS, SAR) or 2. That someone died. I completely agree that there is a safety and professionalism issue with what was said, but I can't really see where they were "callous" since there is no context for the comments. It could be anything from a medical call to a wildfire to someone lost up a trail.

halliganbar

Forum Ride Along
I agree with Aidey on both counts: if there's no safety officer, take it to the appropriate supervisor. Preferably anonymously, so you don't look like you're snitching to curry favor. Taking it up the chain of command makes the most sense--don't skip straight to the medical director unless you are directly supervised by him.

And it's definitely not a "guys will be guys" issue to ignore. Those posts are visible to people who don't need to hear this kind of unprofessionalism from our profession, especially since we have a reputation for recklessness.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Aidey,

Hey, no worries at all! My first post assumed that my audiences knew too much, but I forgot that most people on here will not be "acclimated" to my situation.

Unfortunately, this system has a ton of problems, from lack of medical understanding to chain of command issues. To familiarize you a bit, there is no real "chain of command." I'd go in to it further, but I don't think that there is any need.

In any case, your advice was spot on, for the information you had, so there is no fault here—you were correct, and posted something helpful. Hope I didn't come across as overly stupid.

In any case, I'm sorry if I didn't mention the setting. I told one person, but forgot to post it on here. :]

2-vehicle MVC less than 1000 feet from a QRU station staffed with EMT and RN; 15 miles from nearest EMS & Fire stations. Car driver was distracted and missed a turn, hitting an SUV head on. The car then went off the road, hit a bunch of rocks, and burst in to flames. On scene within 1 minute, the RN and EMT said the patients were already deceased. HEMS arrived on scene within 20 minutes. EMS and Fire arrived around 17 minutes and 30 minutes after page, all sans ALS. SUV patients were 2+2, serious and minor injuries.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I laugh when I see city people responses. In small volunteer and even small paid departments often you have the EMS supervisor and the medical director and that is it. You do not have captains, chiefs, etc. So when a problem happens it is reported to the top as that is all there is.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I agree with Aidey on both counts: if there's no safety officer, take it to the appropriate supervisor. Preferably anonymously, so you don't look like you're snitching to curry favor. Taking it up the chain of command makes the most sense--don't skip straight to the medical director unless you are directly supervised by him.

And it's definitely not a "guys will be guys" issue to ignore. Those posts are visible to people who don't need to hear this kind of unprofessionalism from our profession, especially since we have a reputation for recklessness.

Posted around the same time.

Thanks, HB. The service is small enough, and stagnant enough, that there is no chain of command, other than the medical director.

Unfortunately, I've had to be blunt with some of the members before when they were doing odd things.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I laugh when I see city people responses. In small volunteer and even small paid departments often you have the EMS supervisor and the medical director and that is it. You do not have captains, chiefs, etc. So when a problem happens it is reported to the top as that is all there is.

Having worked in several different systems, it's easy to see the disconnect. RidRyder once said something to the effect of some of these underperforming systems being "hardly ambulance services at all, but unsupervised QRUs." In many ways, with some of the worst of them, this is true.

Luckily, most people don't have to—and wouldn't, anyway—deal with such happenings. I feel bad about burdening the boards with such deadweight, but I figure that people can just skip the thread when they see my screen name. ;)

Aidey

I started out at a department that typifies small and rural, so I understand not really having a "chain" to report up. In this case, since it wasn't a matter of medical care, I personally still wouldn't take it to the MD myself.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I started out at a department that typifies small and rural, so I understand not really having a "chain" to report up. In this case, since it wasn't a matter of medical care, I personally still wouldn't take it to the MD myself.

In many cases they are the only ones with any true authority in many small services.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
In many cases they are the only ones with any true authority in many small services.

And to clarify, they'll both be hearing about this.

I could let it go, but this sort of behavior is the type that gets people killed. And I don't want that happening, to the responder or to an innocent person.

Aidey

Right, and I'm not disagreeing with that. What I am saying is that if there is anyone between Hal and the MD, that is the person who should bring it to the MD.

OP
OP
Hal9000

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Right, and I'm not disagreeing with that. What I am saying is that if there is anyone between Hal and the MD, that is the person who should bring it to the MD.

I agree; chain of command is important. Unfortunately, there is only a general assembly of EMTs, a board (finances), and medical direction. I notified the person already and told him that it had to be addressed.

You've all placed forth valuable suggestions.