AMR will continue to hold the contract in Riverside, Ca

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
got one

Physical challenge:

Someone find a real world example of any Envision (AMR or subsidiary) ambulance service getting completely booted out of an EOA and was replaced by a government transporting entity.

Ready? Set. GO!

Newport Beach, CA.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Newport Beach, CA.

actually, Newport Beach has always been the paramedic provider since 1975. as stated in CA HSC 1979.201 they have the exclusive authority to administer the EMS service under the policies and protocols of the LEMSA.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
:)
Anybody else...

Medic496

AMR Booted Out

I do believe I answered the question correctly. Having 201 does not give the city the right to kick out AMR and declare exclusivity. AMR or a predecessor was covering Newport until 1990's. Newport then wrote an RFP but cancelled the process and awarded themselves the anointed transport providers. AMR got booted, and Newport created a big fat monopoly just waiting for some rambunctious private company to come along and put their hat in the ring for transport. It'll be just like San Francisco, non-exclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Mostly heard from Murrieta fire

Hilarious to me, seeing as he was the chief of Hemet Fire prior, and you never heard whining about Hemet becoming a transport agency. Granted they aren't even an ALS dept, but when he moves to Murrieta, all of the sudden AMR sucks? I'm not surprised AMR kept this contract, Riverside division has its problems, but Desert and Hemet have some of the highest collection rates nationwide for AMR and it is their biggest contract in the US now, Ever since talk of RFP began, they have been pushing really hard out here,

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I Having 201 does not give the city the right to kick out AMR and declare exclusivity.

Actually that is exactly what it does. The fire Agency having jurisdiction can handle the EMS service how it sees fit, including providing the service themselves.

in September of 2010 the County of Orange declared that Newport Beach does in fact have 201 rights, link here, as such they have the sole authority to contract for or terminate a contract for ambulance services. thank you for participating.

Medic496

Sniveling City

Simply because a whiny city writes a letter to EMSA and submits comments pleading that the Ch. 13 regulations reflect their cause, doesn't mean they have exclusivity. Maybe you missed the latest submission of 2014 OCEMS EMS plan, Newport is non-exclusive to ambulance transport. Oh yeah also, the EMSA document provided below will take you to EMSA's documented proof that Newport Beach is non-exclusive. Has been since they kicked out AMR.

http://emsa.ca.gov/Media/Default/PDF/Ambulance_Zones_2013.pdf

BTW, we are talking about 1797.224. In your earlier post you listed 1979.201 as your HSC reference. The actual HSC reference that deals with obligations to continue service provided prior to June 1, 1980 until an agreement is reached is known as 1797.201. Some lesser informed individuals regard it as "201 rights".

Thanks for playing

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hilarious to me, seeing as he was the chief of Hemet Fire prior, and you never heard whining about Hemet becoming a transport agency. Granted they aren't even an ALS dept, but when he moves to Murrieta, all of the sudden AMR sucks? I'm not surprised AMR kept this contract, Riverside division has its problems, but Desert and Hemet have some of the highest collection rates nationwide for AMR and it is their biggest contract in the US now, Ever since talk of RFP began, they have been pushing really hard out here,

Do you know the status of Hemet going over to CalFire? I know they're trying to come in and take over which would be so much better than what we have now, aka all BLS.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Are there response time issues in Hemet for ALS to get on scene? Where I work, it is BLS fire and the private ambulance is ALS and it works just fine. I don't get this mentality that is so pervasive in CA that every vehicle with flashing lights that isn't a cop car HAS to have a medic on it?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are there response time issues in Hemet for ALS to get on scene? Where I work, it is BLS fire and the private ambulance is ALS and it works just fine. I don't get this mentality that is so pervasive in CA that every vehicle with flashing lights that isn't a cop car HAS to have a medic on it?

It can take a while for AMR to arrive on scene (all depends on the call volume). Hemet fire is the only fire department in RivCo (that I know of) who does not have ALS.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you know the status of Hemet going over to CalFire? I know they're trying to come in and take over which would be so much better than what we have now, aka all BLS.

"so much better"???

ummm, from the people that I know that work Hemet/pass area all I hear is how much they love working in that area.

But haven't you herd fire medics are wayyy better than private medics. They have way more medical training. Lol jk

But yes I love kerns ems system its honestly the most efficient system I have worked in.

terrible one

Always wandering

+ 1

I do not understand this mentality either. Unless time is an issue (i.e. Rural areas) there shouldn't be a need to staff every single piece of equipment ALS. Imagine how much money FDs could save (staffing, training, equipment) if they only had medics in areas without a nearby hospital or medic ambulance that is on scene in 8:59 90% of the time. LAFD could probably reduce half of it's medics and save millions of dollars. I doubt you'd even see an increase in 911 mortality.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
"so much better"???

ummm, from the people that I know that work Hemet/pass area all I hear is how much they love working in that area.

But haven't you herd fire medics are wayyy better than private medics. They have way more medical training. Lol jk

But yes I love kerns ems system its honestly the most efficient system I have worked in.

Having worked Kern and Hemet, they are IMO, both good places to work. I will say, there would be no benefit from CDF taking over Hemet. There are times when ambo levels get low, as Hemet, is per capita, the busiest area in the county. However, we often beat HFD on scene, and our working relationship, a few people excepted is amazing. No pissing contests over patient care, and it definitely helps our medics keep skills up. There are county areas with one medic, and with them, there are not issues either, but I fail to see how CDF moving in helps anyone.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
+ 1

I do not understand this mentality either. Unless time is an issue (i.e. Rural areas) there shouldn't be a need to staff every single piece of equipment ALS. Imagine how much money FDs could save (staffing, training, equipment) if they only had medics in areas without a nearby hospital or medic ambulance that is on scene in 8:59 90% of the time. LAFD could probably reduce half of it's medics and save millions of dollars. I doubt you'd even see an increase in 911 mortality.

Its been brought to the table. LAFD might give up half of transports. Only time will tell. But if your not in yellow pants your not real ems.lol