AMR Testing

StarsGoDim

Forum Probie
I have been reading the other threads for a bit now, all the information is helpful. I have a quick question. Could anyone possibly give me a run down of the testing for AMR (I'm in the Southern California region)? How do they do the Physical Agility test? What does it involve? What other tests do they do? Additionally how is the interview process? Sorry for all the questions (and if this is repeated), I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have been reading the other threads for a bit now, all the information is helpful. I have a quick question. Could anyone possibly give me a run down of the testing for AMR (I'm in the Southern California region)? How do they do the Physical Agility test? What does it involve? What other tests do they do? Additionally how is the interview process? Sorry for all the questions (and if this is repeated), I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

You have to walk up and down a set of stairs 3 times carrying 145 pounds on a fake gurney. Lift up weights to different heights.

There is a written test for AMR. It's kind of like that national test. The interview process changes division by division. Some divisions will have you do skills testing and some won't. Some will make you do several interviews and some won't.

OP
OP
S

StarsGoDim

Forum Probie
Thank you. I've heard so many different weight amounts that I wasn't sure what to be prepared for. I heard up to 170lbs. Is the fake gurney with another person or just by yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thank you. I've heard so many different weight amounts that I wasn't sure what to be prepared for. I heard up to 170lbs.

It was 145 pounds for my testing and for everyone else that I know. Honestly the test sucks. The fake gurney doesn't replicate a real gurney at all.

OP
OP
S

StarsGoDim

Forum Probie
Alright. Should be interesting. One more question (sorry). Some companies put you through an ambulance course others you have to obtain the license first. How does AMR work for that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Alright. Should be interesting. One more question (sorry). Some companies put you through an ambulance course others you have to obtain the license first. How does AMR work for that?

You have to take the test and pay for the ambulance driver certificate. AMR will put you through their Emergency Vehicle Operators Course.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No problem. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
Hey I dont want to hijack this post but I have an interview with amr riverside, what does the initial interview consist of for the riverside division.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hey I dont want to hijack this post but I have an interview with amr riverside, what does the initial interview consist of for the riverside division.

Normally it's just what would you do in this situation and tell me about yourself questions.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How does their hiring process work?
How much do they start for emt's with experience?
Do you work for the riverside div.

I work for another division but two of my close friends work there.
They had to do 2 interviews. 1 solo interview and then 1 group interview. Then if you get hired you have to do a 2 week orientation followed up by Field Training time.
I honestly don't know if they pay EMTs with experience more then brand new EMTs but I doubt it. Starting pay for a brand new EMT is roughly $12.30/hr with no daily overtime and no double time.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just talked to janell in HR at AMR and she said they are not currently hiring any EMT's in Hemet, riverside, Redlands, or Palm Springs. The apps online just go to a waiting list of sorts. Gr. I need a Job in RivCo... I can't keep commuting to San Diego.

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
I work for another division but two of my close friends work there.
They had to do 2 interviews. 1 solo interview and then 1 group interview. Then if you get hired you have to do a 2 week orientation followed up by Field Training time.
I honestly don't know if they pay EMTs with experience more then brand new EMTs but I doubt it. Starting pay for a brand new EMT is roughly $12.30/hr with no daily overtime and no double time.

Do you know if they had to do a skills test, as well as physical test?
What did the group interview consist of?
Wow they don't pay overtime?
How do you like working there?
Also thanks for all of the info!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Do you know if they had to do a skills test, as well as physical test?
What did the group interview consist of?
Wow they don't pay overtime?
How do you like working there?
Also thanks for all of the info!

Riverside does not have to do a skills test (at least when my friends went through). But you do have to do the physical test.
Since they are union anything over 12 hours in the same day is overtime and anything over 40 hours a week is overtime. With non union it's 8 hours of normal pay. 4 hours of overtime and anything over 12 hours in the same day is double time.
I love my division. There are some problems but every division has some. Riverside is a huge division with I believe over 500 field employees.

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
Riverside does not have to do a skills test (at least when my friends went through). But you do have to do the physical test.
Since they are union anything over 12 hours in the same day is overtime and anything over 40 hours a week is overtime. With non union it's 8 hours of normal pay. 4 hours of overtime and anything over 12 hours in the same day is double time.
I love my division. There are some problems but every division has some. Riverside is a huge division with I believe over 500 field employees.

Do you know what the group interview consists of?
Oh ok, I didn't know riverside was union but it comes out to basically the same amount of money, so what's the benefit of having a union?
Haha trust me I know about having problems in a division, wow that would be crazy I believe my company only employs 160 and 147 are active emt's.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Do you know what the group interview consists of?
Oh ok, I didn't know riverside was union but it comes out to basically the same amount of money, so what's the benefit of having a union?
Haha trust me I know about having problems in a division, wow that would be crazy I believe my company only employs 160 and 147 are active emt's.

I'm not really sure. My guess is it would be kind of like talking yourself up as to why they should hire you. And yes they pay comes out to around the same. The union is there to protect your job and interests. Personally I'm not a fan of unions and my division probably won't be going union for a long long time.

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
I'm not really sure. My guess is it would be kind of like talking yourself up as to why they should hire you. And yes they pay comes out to around the same. The union is there to protect your job and interests. Personally I'm not a fan of unions and my division probably won't be going union for a long long time.

Oh ok I never heard about that part. Alright well thanks for the help I just want to go prepared for the interview, well see how it goes! Any, recommendations of anything I should do before the interview, or things I need to find out and know prior to interviewing?