AMR Riverside Physical/Agility

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Can anyone who knows about AMR Riverside tell me what the Physical/Agility test consists of?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm fairly confident AMR is the same all around the country, so a search should have guided you to the answer.

Here in DFW, we had to carry a weighted end of a stretcher up and down stairs a few times, then lift a stretcher up to knee height, then waist height, then down to knee, then all the way down again.

OP
OP
K

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
How can i judge how i will do? Is it pretty simple? I see some pretty small EMTs and medics

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm a 6'1" 160lb skinny guy. The weight is no problem, it's 125lbs. That's what, 80% of my weight?

The hard part is being tall, as you have to life the weight that much further to get it to the proper height, and long arms make it tough.

But honestly, you shouldn't have any trouble with it if you try.

OP
OP
K

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
I've heard of them doing the test with weights in a milk crate? This seems almost pointless if you ask me... when do we ever have to lift a milk crate :/

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The place I went to had an actually replica of stretcher handles, and put the weights in the middle.

Weight is weight though. If you have trouble lifting 125lbs, you'll have trouble lifting a lot of people we see.

OP
OP
K

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Do the handles make it easier... cause i put 120 pounds in a milk crate to practice and it was pretty hard... it seems like there has to be some way to make it doable cause its really tough just with a milk crate

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You have 120lbs and a milk crate just sitting around? :wacko:

Just grab on tight and lift with the legs. That's what I did, and that's what I do ^_^

Hal9000

Forum Captain
120? I did 140 in a weird weighted box. I'm small and light for a guy and had zero problems. I did have a 102 fever when I did it and the lady was concerned at the hospital. Didn't know I was THAT sick until she checked me out. She guessed when she saw me and my resting pulse was ~100.

Anyway, it was stretches, lift 20, lift 40, 90, 140. 140 to 43 inches. Then off to some stairs and I took the weights up and down. Then the heavy weights up and down. Then I was done and sent how with a bottle of water and an order to rest and get better.

At 135lbs it was NO problem.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a 6'1" 160lb skinny guy. The weight is no problem, it's 125lbs. That's what, 80% of my weight?

The hard part is being tall, as you have to life the weight that much further to get it to the proper height, and long arms make it tough.

But honestly, you shouldn't have any trouble with it if you try.

whatever that test is so much easier if you are tall..........the short people have the most problem when it comes to the 40in test. you have to lift the stretcher 40in off the ground, but you start with it about 15 in off the ground. of course its been so long since i had to take that test that they might not even do it anymore.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
120? I did 140 in a weird weighted box. I'm small and light for a guy and had zero problems. I did have a 102 fever when I did it and the lady was concerned at the hospital. Didn't know I was THAT sick until she checked me out. She guessed when she saw me and my resting pulse was ~100.

Anyway, it was stretches, lift 20, lift 40, 90, 140. 140 to 43 inches. Then off to some stairs and I took the weights up and down. Then the heavy weights up and down. Then I was done and sent how with a bottle of water and an order to rest and get better.

At 135lbs it was NO problem.

This is exactly the AMR lift agility I did after popping a jointout of socket warning up even! 3 minutes of stairs before the weights was in there too. Man o man it was painful but, this 5'3, 40 something senior managed to do fine. Think I still have the brusies :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This is exactly the AMR lift agility I did after popping a jointout of socket warning up even! 3 minutes of stairs before the weights was in there too. Man o man it was painful but, this 5'3, 40 something senior managed to do fine. Think I still have the brusies :)
Do you still have the job? Hopefully you're in Grand Rapids.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you still have the job? Hopefully you're in Grand Rapids.

Nope, not with the now defunct AMR SE (Detroit). I knew they were planning on closing but, I was good with that. Was working on other teaching projects at the time so it was all good. Spent about 18 months with them until the doors closed.

There are several companies in this area. Medical related jobs are not too dificult to find here.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
How can i judge how i will do? Is it pretty simple? I see some pretty small EMTs and medics

KC, it's pretty simple, really. I'm 5'0" and today 110 lbs, had a small amount of trouble when I was testing coming off a back injury, but, then, while I was out I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. If you haven't done it yet, don't worry, if I can, you can!

jeep4emtrn

Forum Probie
Did they say what is in detail? I have seen some big guys that work for EMT, so it must not be that hard?

OP
OP
K

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
KC, it's pretty simple, really. I'm 5'0" and today 110 lbs, had a small amount of trouble when I was testing coming off a back injury, but, then, while I was out I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. If you haven't done it yet, don't worry, if I can, you can!

Can i ask what you had to do for your test?

Currently I am about 5'10" and weigh 135 pounds

I can walk up and down the stairs with 50 pound weight in each hand and can lift a milk crate with 140 pounds to my waist. Am i in good shape to pass...honestly?