AMR info

sage267

Forum Crew Member
Just ha d a quick question about AMR riverside or San Bernardino county, I've searched the forums but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My question is as follows, if hired by either county and you're on a bls rig will you ever respond code 3 to any call and if so will a fire medic jump on your rig to transport if necessary like in Orange County or as a bls unit will you be stuck doing ift all day?

Any info greatly appreciated

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For riverside county it will be extremely if a BLS unit ever responds to a 911 call.

If for some reason it does happen and the fire department is on scene then the fire medic will be in charge of patient care.

If the fire department is not on scene and you can get to the hospital in less amount of time than it takes for fire to get on scene (hospital 5 minutes away and fire is 10) then transport BLS.

I've transported via BLS a patient who was in SVT before (hospital was 2 minutes away and fire was 5+ minutes away).

OP
OP
S

sage267

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the reply.

How long do you usually have to work a bls unit before you can bid on a Als unit

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Each division is different. Some divisions you can start working on an ALS unit right after you finish your Field Training time. For these divisions when you do shift bidding you have to find a medic to bid with to get an ALS shift.

For other divisions you start off on BLS full time. As spots open up on ALS then it is based off of seniority. Could be 1 month could be 2+ years. You can only bid on BLS rigs until you get moved up to ALS (you can turn down ALS offers). Once you get on ALS you can only bid on ALS units. You can bid on a BLS unit but you lose your ALS position so you have to wait until another ALS position opens up.

OP
OP
S

sage267

Forum Crew Member
In your opinion which division is better if I wanna get a lot of exposure to ALS 911 for experience prior to medic school

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
ALS is ALS. I only have personnel experience at one of the divisions. But keep in mind that AMR has a lot of people applying so if you only select one division it may take a long long time to get hired.

Each division has ups and downs. But as I stated ALS is ALS. You will get pretty much the same calls no matter where you are.

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I had my second group interview with AMR Riverside a month ago and haven't heard anything. The EMSC website says I'm still in the process. Is anyone else in the same boat?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I had my second group interview with AMR Riverside a month ago and haven't heard anything. The EMSC website says I'm still in the process. Is anyone else in the same boat?

You should have heard a response from HR within a week or 2. I would definatly call riverside and see what is up.

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
The Ops manager said it'd be 3-4 weeks because there was a large group that went a week before us (they had 17, my group had 6). Called the secretary today and she said they don't give any information over the phone.