AMR cant staff, fire/ sheriff transport

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also- why did LACoFD not ask LAcityFD for mutual aid? they have their 800s they can send.
Considering AMR's EOA is the north part of the County (Lancaster/Palmdale area), even Santa Clarita the closest LA City units are already gonna be 15, 20+ minutes assuming they were all 100% available and on the initial dispatch

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
AO medic programs are a mixed bag. They tend to have high turnover rates, because a lot of depts expect you play the probie role without the pay or benefits of being a Probationary FF. If the position is directly promotable into suppression they tend to be slightly more successful, though force hires tend be much worse at the single role level.
Bingo, most of the ao programs I have seen they treat the medics like crap and pay them sub Amr rates…. And frankly **** that. Playing the firefighter game and being underpaid. Pass

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
I hear ya. It was a foot in the door with the basics back when multi-year hiring freeze was a thing. Obviously not a problem with Paramedics now- we get to pick where we work and dictate our schedules more or less.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Bingo, most of the ao programs I have seen they treat the medics like crap and pay them sub Amr rates…. And frankly **** that. Playing the firefighter game and being underpaid. Pass
Agreed. I'm not going to play the rookie nonsense. That mentality is so prevalent out here and I still have no idea why. Single role worked pretty darn good at my old place in Texas. California is strange.

Sac Metro started a single role program but of course the department changed it to suit them - you have to transition over to the fire side after 3 years or they let you go. *facepalm*

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed. I'm not going to play the rookie nonsense. That mentality is so prevalent out here and I still have no idea why. Single role worked pretty darn good at my old place in Texas. California is strange.

Sac Metro started a single role program but of course the department changed it to suit them - you have to transition over to the fire side after 3 years or they let you go. *facepalm*
It’s so idiotic to force those to play hose jockey if they don’t want to be, that just enforces being a **** medic to get a fire job and not giving a damn.

Hell I would do single role if it weren’t for that, I have no desire to fight fires anymore, I like medical. And a lifer medical is going to be better for the community as their doing what they actually want to do.