AMR - Bay Area

Bruin945

Forum Ride Along
I am trying to decide between two jobs right now, one is an ER tech position and one is with AMR in the bay area. I was wondering how long I will have to do IFT's before I can jump onto a 911 rig, and what my schedule will most likely look like for the first 6 months given I will have no seniority?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Are both jobs mutually exclusive? The reason I ask is because you can learn LOTS from doing IFT's and working as an ER Tech. IFT's may seem boring, but they're an excellent way to get used to actually doing assessments and such. Don't shy away from them. ER Tech will expose you to things that happen after patients are dropped off at the ER and you can learn from the staff what some of the more rare stuff "looks like". As to AMR scheduling and such, I can't comment. I've never worked for them.

Amazingly enough, I envy your conundrum.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I doubt AMR in the bay area is hiring EMTs. You can apply, but it will take a while to hear from them.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The area is heavily populated with EMTs. One would have better luck as a Paramedic if you want to do 911. AMR only covers a few areas that do 911 and the rest is done by the FDs. For ER Tech, most of the hospitals in the Bay area will require you to have the Phlebotomy cert. That is also a highly competitive position.

OP
OP
B

Bruin945

Forum Ride Along
Im actually on the wait list for an EMT position in the bay area and have been told I will most likely start in October. It is in one of the 911-contract counties but I would rather not say which one. Unfortunately they are mutually exclusive as the ER tech position is in Southern California. I suppose Im a little concerned that I will keep getting strung along with AMR, but assuming I actually do start in October the AMR job is a little more appealing. I have heard that it will be a lot harder to get onto a 911 rig since the economy sucks and nobody is leaving there job, thus EMT's at the bottom will have to do IFT's more indefinitely.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You might also get a CCT truck wth an RN. For either IFT routine or CCT, take advantage of the learning experience. Ask questions and read everything you can in the patient chart. The medical issues and diseases processes are the weakest for EMTs. First-aid is the easy part of the job. Don't look at IFT as a second rate job especially at the EMT level.

lazeeyemt

Forum Ride Along
You will have to do IFT's and BLS transfers for approximately six months with AMR. It may be a bit longer than six months, but it will most likely be around that time frame.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Have you thought about doing both? Most hospitals that use techs have very flexible scheduling. They know most people in the tech role are only there until they finish their education and are willing to work around your other commitments. Once you have your foot in the door you will most likely move up the list at a rapid pace. I would if offered take the tech job, it is a very competitive position and says alot about you if you are offered the job. You will see alot of patients and depending on the facility do things you would never get to do in the field as a basic. I would really look at this from all sides and try to find some middle ground. I did catch that the jobs are at different ends of the state but they need EMT's in So Cal to. Just some thoughts.

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
AMR is different everywhere you go. Some counties will let you go on ALS right away if your skills are there. Some make you do 6 months of BLS before you can bid for ALS. I recommend applying for AMR. ER tech might be cool, but i doubt it would be as fun as working on the streets. Plus you probably get to exercise your scope a lot more on a rig.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Plus you probably get to exercise your scope a lot more on a rig.

Scope of practice as an EMT?

Actually, if that EMT in CA was to work in an ED, they would have to get a phlebotomy cert. How many EMTs draw blood on ambulances in CA?

Then, they would have to be proficient in many different lead placements of many differ cardiac monitors as well as doing 12 - leads.

They would see more patients in one shift than most EMTs on an ambulance will see in a month or even two months.

They may assist with more "codes" in one shift than many EMTs will see in a year.

They will learn to take vitals of various types using several methods on many different patients.

They will learn to transport and move patients with many different accessories attached to places with limited space or that which require special consideration such as MRI and HBO.

They may be cross trained as an ortho-tech. How many EMTs get to assist a physician in casting or modifying splints?

They will learn about infection control.

They will have access to look at lab values, X-Rays and be able to discuss patient care with many different health care professionals.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
I learned so much as a ER Tech than I did on the truck and in basic class. You have many doctors and nurses to share their knowledge and to teach you many things. Plus, like Vent said, you are exposed to so much more than on a "911 rig"

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Scope of practice as an EMT?

Actually, if that EMT in CA was to work in an ED, they would have to get a phlebotomy cert. How many EMTs draw blood on ambulances in CA?

Then, they would have to be proficient in many different lead placements of many differ cardiac monitors as well as doing 12 - leads.

They would see more patients in one shift than most EMTs on an ambulance will see in a month or even two months.

They may assist with more "codes" in one shift than many EMTs will see in a year.

They will learn to take vitals of various types using several methods on many different patients.

They will learn to transport and move patients with many different accessories attached to places with limited space or that which require special consideration such as MRI and HBO.

They may be cross trained as an ortho-tech. How many EMTs get to assist a physician in casting or modifying splints?

They will learn about infection control.

They will have access to look at lab values, X-Rays and be able to discuss patient care with many different health care professionals.

I could not have said it better myself,thanks vent!