AMR Bay Area Hiring Process

BayAreaEMT4

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I just applied for AMR in the bay area and was wondering what the process entailed. Ive been an IFT EMT for a year and trying to move to 911. From basic research it looks as though there is some sort of a test (anyone know if it is written/oral/skills testing?) and then an interview. Any help on what to expect would be much appreciated!

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
Written test is your standard National Registry based type stuff. Pretty straight forward. Skills? Different areas may be different but when I went through my county's process there was no skills testing. The adjacent county does them (or used to in the past). Either way, again, straight forward and NR-based. You'd probably see airway/O2 (nasal cannula, NRB, OPA/NPA, suction), c-spine and a fairly simple assessment. If there's anything else, it may be traction splinting. Written and skills may be done on separate days or the same.

The interview is a panel of 2-4 people, usually 3. The questions are scripted and pretty basic. Not really any curve balls. Have answers planned and practiced. "Tell us about yourself" is always first and I guarantee few people are ready for this one. "Why do you want to work here?" (or some variation of that) will be another. Do some research on the company. Just poke around the AMR main site enough and you'll find plenty of factoids to use to say why you think they're so great. (I believe you can even find links to individual locations/operations which are useful). Again, I'd guarantee few people are ready for this and it'll set you apart. Also, have questions ready to ask them and make them company/job related. It shows you're prepared and interested.

Beyond that... dress up. Some people do the full suit, some don't. Really, the only difference is jacket or no jacket. Try to not show nervousness too much, speak clearly and avoid "um"s or awkward pauses, don't fidget, make eye contact with every person, shake hands before and after. Honestly, the process is pretty standard without any real surprises versus most other places. Don't let the AMR logo on the building freak you out.

**PS: This is just my personal view. Dress appropriately on the written/skills day(s). You don't need clean up like you would for an interview but close. Shoes, slacks, nice shirt (or nice polo at the least) and appropriate grooming. It's a competitive market (and industry as a whole) in terms of numbers so every little positive step to set yourself apart should be taken into account.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I would follow his advice, Trust me :eek:)

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
I'm a medic in Bay Area.
Definitely wear a suit. Show your confidence, show your desire to be an EMT or medic, not your desire for a stepping stone to fire dept. Be professional, be polite, and don't appear entitled. The biggest complaint I hear about new hires is hiring of young guys who think they're entitled, and start talking crap about AMR and their job right off the bat, not cool. The interview is standard. "Tell us about a time when you made a quick decision, what what it? Tell us about yourself? Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in future?" etc etc. Usually two FTOs on the board. Then you do basic EMT skills. The written I've heard is somewhat difficult, but easy for
Some especially those in medic school. Show your prior experience in the county you're applying for, tell them you know the hospitals and the streets etc.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
AMR here does do a written test, skills exam and interview panel. The written is pretty straightforward, as are the skills, usually includes a full patient assessment. As Girevik and k9Dog said, do some prep for the interview. DEFINITELY dress up, preferably in a suit, every time you are there, even if it's for the testing. The application process is all online, but it doesn't hurt to also go in with a professionally written and printed resume in person as well. Make sure you look nice and are polite to the office staff, if you're lucky you'll get to meet someone from management and allow them to put a face to the name and make a solid impression.

Be highly aware that attitude is a lot of what this job is about, particularly on the 911 side. It's not a "cool kids" club, but if you give off an immature or whacker vibe, or (this is particularly relevant for new EMTs or medics or anyone coming from an IFT or limited 911 background) you tell a lot of stories about all those "crazy calls" you've had (because if you're new you haven't earned the right to tell stories) that'll be a black mark against you. I cannot tell you how much of a turn off it is to hear newbies try and impress people with tales that are really actually pretty mundane or straightforward calls, but it's still exciting to them because they haven't actually seen what a truly critical patient looks like yet. Trust me, that "really bad" avulsion you saw once on a ride along isn't impressing anyone.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
There is a company that comes out periodically for people to do their physicals and DL51 stuff, and they are present during the new-hire training. If I recall correctly they are the ones that conduct the lift testing as well.

Knightinwhitesatin

Forum Probie
Lol yea Frost that's what I ment. Does other AMRs send people all the way to the bay area or does AMR ever do in house lift test? Like AMR San Joaquin or Sacramento?

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
It's done at AMR operations but it's put on by FROST, their doctor makes the determination if u pass

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Operations in Norcal will vary slightly in that some Operations are performing their own PAT by internal staff trained in the application o the PAT. Test should be uniform regardless