AMR Background Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I think its a bit of a reach to put a a 20 year old kid who was given a credit card and went willy nilly to how they will perform in a job they will be highly trained for. At least for my generation, credit was never talked about in high school, then the first day of school at college there were like 10 kiosks signing you up for a student credit card. No one to explain anything about credit.
Given or signed up without properly researching the risks and how to use one?

I'm 22 now, nobody taught me. Never mentioned in school. Parents had a cow when I got one, told me I didn't need one. I've been responsible with it. That's on me. Same if I had messed up with it.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
Given or signed up without properly researching the risks and how to use one?

I'm 22 now, nobody taught me. Never mentioned in school. Parents had a cow when I got one, told me I didn't need one. I've been responsible with it. That's on me. Same if I had messed up with it.
That’s awesome dude, but you are the exception, not the rule.

And yes they were signing people up right there and giving out frisbees if your were approved. This was pre 2008 though, so maybe why you don’t relate. Money was cheap

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
That’s awesome dude, but you are the exception, not the rule.

And yes they were signing people up right there and giving out frisbees if your were approved. This was pre 2008 though, so maybe why you don’t relate. Money was cheap

What, they forged your signature? I mean, you had to agree.

I'm not saying some of them aren't traps, but you have to be looking for traps.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
What, they forged your signature? I mean, you had to agree.

I'm not saying some of them aren't traps, but you have to be looking for traps.
You like arguing huh? I guess i have to be really specific with you. They were allowing 18 year olds to sign up for credit cards without any prior knowledge on credit.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You like arguing huh? I guess i have to be really specific with you. They were allowing 18 year olds to sign up for credit cards without any prior knowledge on credit.

I like a good debate, yeah. The other thread was me being wildly confused.

Here? You're 18, act like it. You have the power of "No", or "I should look into this". And real life has consequences if you ignore better judgment.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
I like a good debate, yeah. The other thread was me being wildly confused.

Here? You're 18, act like it. You have the power of "No", or "I should look into this". And real life has consequences if you ignore better judgment.
Exactly that’s what one should do, but most 18 year olds are thinking about those new pair of shoes they’re gonna go get

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
Exactly that’s what one should do, but most 18 year olds are thinking about those new pair of shoes they’re gonna go get
I agree with a good a debate but there’s certain things one can just assume if they are confused. Do you really believe everyone you graduated high school with would do great given a credit card and no counseling?

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
So you're wanting to go to bat for someone who didn't do what they should have?
I’m saying that it was wildly irresponsible to give these kids credit cards. That the blemishes it may or may not have left on their record should not hurt them 4-5 years later when job searching. And that high schools should do at least a semester of credit / keeping a household.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I agree with a good a debate but there’s certain things one can just assume if they are confused. Do you really believe everyone you graduated high school with would do great given a credit card and no counseling?

Should be given? I'm not a creditor. I think even if you didn't graduate, you may be free to apply. If you seek counseling, good on you.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I’m saying that it was wildly irresponsible to give these kids credit cards. That the blemishes it may or may not have left on their record should not hurt them 4-5 years later when job searching. And that high schools should do at least a semester of credit / keeping a household.

Why isn't it wildly irresponsible for them to have gotten one?

Nobody forces them to. Nobody forced me, I was told not to, actually. Maybe in a month or two, I'll have excellent credit. Thanks ME.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
Why isn't it wildly irresponsible for them to have gotten one?

Nobody forces them to. Nobody forced me, I was told not to, actually. Maybe in a month or two, I'll have excellent credit. Thanks ME.
Lol because if they don’t know what theyr’re doing when they go apply to emt school they’re not going to be allowed in. In a sense, setting them back a few years while they hopefully learn about and fix their credit.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Lol because if they don’t know what theyr’re doing when they go apply to emt school they’re not going to be allowed in. In a sense, setting them back a few years while they hopefully learn about and fix their credit.

And yeah, sometimes we need life to clothesline us so we look for things that can hurt us.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
And yeah, sometimes we need life to clothesline us so we look for things that can hurt us.
Huh? You mentioned you’re 22. Your generation is already graduating to the worst student debt problem and you want to add hurdles? I get that you’re gifted and can research. I graduated highs school a year early by taking the chspe, then got my ged almost like a double high school diploplma,. Went off to college at 16, had no idea what I wanted to do, got in a bunch of debt and wish someone would have just said slow down.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Huh? You mentioned you’re 22. Your generation is already graduating to the worst student debt problem and you want to add hurdles? I get that you’re gifted and can research. I graduated highs school a year early by taking the chspe, then got my ged almost like a double high school diploplma,. Went off to college at 16, had no idea what I wanted to do, got in a bunch of debt and wish someone would have just said slow down.

Yep and yep. I have no debt whatsoever. Did some college. Lucked out on a few things.

And I'm not against giving advice to young people or the greenhorns, but at the end of the day, it's not on the high interest loan companies or the credit card companies, etc.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
Yep and yep. I have no debt whatsoever. Did some college. Lucked out on a few things.

And I'm not against giving advice to young people or the greenhorns, but at the end of the day, it's not on the high interest loan companies or the credit card companies, etc.
Exactly, it’s on the uneducated. And back before the housing bubble burst, credit was so cheap it was being given out like candy. $3000 limit credit cards for 18 year olds with no history or co signer. Tell me you honestly think that’s a good a idea. I ask again, how do you think the people you graduated high school would do if handed a 3000 limit card.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Exactly, it’s on the uneducated. And back before the housing bubble burst, credit was so cheap it was being given out like candy. $3000 limit credit cards for 18 year olds with no history or co signer. Tell me you honestly think that’s a good a idea. I ask again, how do you think the people you graduated high school would do if handed a 3000 limit card.

It's not about being a wise decision, it's the freedom to make choices with your life, good or bad. It's a good idea to let people pave their own path.

Depends on where you handed it out and to who. That's very open ended.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member
It's not about being a wise decision, it's the freedom to make choices with your life, good or bad. It's a good idea to let people pave their own path.

What do you mean. For this debate, Discover signed me up for $3500 limit card, super high interest but I knew nothing about interest and nothing about the penalties of not paying.

guitarofozz

Forum Crew Member

Oh absolutely let people make their own choices and deal with them, BUT there used to be classes in high school dedicated to learning real life **** because not everyone ended up going to college. How to balance a check book, information about credit, he’ll back in the 50’s women learned how to cook roasts. Slowly but surely that went away, and I’m sure some law or another made it ok for Discover to throw up a kiosk and sign up 18yo for something they knew little to nothing about,

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
What do you mean. For this debate, Discover signed me up for $3500 limit card, super high interest but I knew nothing about interest and nothing about the penalties of not paying.

Discover can't (legally) sign you up without your permission. Did they put a gun to your head? If not, then why did you walk into the battlefield without a weapon or a plan? It's not their job to equip you if it's not in the contract you probably didn't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.