Amitriptyline OD

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay.. long rant..sorry, but I do believe we have some common beliefs.

I totally agree initial BLS is essential such as in volunteers as a first response unit. ALS can never or ever work if proper BLS is not already put in place.

What I am still trying to promote is conjunction of the two not separation.

So many BLS and Vollies attempt to justify their actions or existence of "would you rather".. No; actually I would rather have both and one can. BLS trained first responders should be able to assess and treat and stabilize patients for at least 20 minutes. This is usually time enough for an ALS unit to arrive and stabilize for transport or even a rendezvous if it is to far. Again, I am not against BLS or volunteer providers rather I believe it is the way we are using them.

What is going to occur is that we will see less and less volunteers as we will require more and more training, responsibilities and costs to those persons. I much rather see them utilized appropiately and to have them on a call, then not to have them at all.

If a first response unit and ALS unit were dispatched simultaneously, the BLS unit would take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to arrive at the scene. ALS would arrive approximately 5 to 10 minutes later. The BLS unit would have initially performed the assessment, placed oxygen on the patient and possibly packaged the patient (LSB/CID). The patient is basically ready for another quick assessment and initial ALS treatment and transport. A hand in hand operation and thus a successful system.

As well the BLS unit is ready for another call, and vollies can return to their normal life or if paid squad first response can be available again. This would be a benefit for all. Decreased response time, decreased scene time for vollies and the patient will have ALS if needed, also decreased costs for the communities. I would hope the professional ALS service would recognize the need and provide education and possibly supplies.

We have such system and the first response guys are great! I know the patient is being taken care of and I have a possible viable patient to work upon. We provide in-services and trade out disposable equipment, since we are able to bill for the patient services.

Each patient should at least have the availability to be examined by an ALS provider. BLS/ALS or two ALS should staff all EMS transport units. If the patient does not require ALS, the BLS provider can tech and gain the needed experience and exposure. It is too costly to have separation of the two transport vehicles, as well many times those BLS calls have turned into ALS calls while enroute.

For some reason, we (EMS) are mind set in the 60's and 70's and refuse to go forward. Compare ourselves to EMS systems in Canada, Africa and Australia. We might had invented progressive EMS, but we have stopped and dropped the ball. It is a shame a person in the outback in Australia can receive ALS care faster than someone in metro U.S.... or even compare that to a pizza delivered. It is embarrassing, we only keep telling ourselves our courses are long and difficult, that communities cannot afford ALS. When other countries have succeeded.

The only reason EMT's think of "running back to the hospital" is for two reasons. You do not what to do or cannot be done. I call it running scared. In actuality "Running back" does not decrease time very much, maybe 3-4 minutes at the most, (that is if one is actually driving safe). But in reality, what it will do; will increase the sympathetic response, therefore increasing heart rate, increasing blood pressure..etc.. The heart has to work harder and faster... thus potentially increasing the heart attack. Personally, I believe it would had been much safer and more comfortable to transport them in their Ford from home.

The point of the authors on some of the posts (albeit, it was not done nicely) is we have to justify what we do. Saying it is the way we always done it, will not cut it anymore. Every IV needs a reason to be started. Every time oxygen is placed on a patient, there needs to be some justification (albeit may be for prophylactic reasons)

Such as oxygen at 15 lpm.. who idea was this? There has never been no research to show or demonstrate it actually increases oxygenation to an AMI patient (once the Hgb is full, no other 02 can bind). All AHA ever stated was high flow > 10 per mask could be beneficial for ischemia. Now for some reason we felt EMT's could not figure that out and started preaching and requiring 15 lpm per NRBM. Therefore everyone is covered (in case someone screwed up).

Side note:(**Actually, now some researchers have discovered it might actually cause harm, that it might actually cause constriction (similar to arterial receptors in the brain). Wow, if they are right, think of all the changes!...(and people gripe now, about simple CPR changes )

We have to stop training our providers to follow step-lists and check lists. Patient verily rarely falls into a check list category. Each one should be treated accordingly. But this is for another rant...

We in EMS (volly, paid, BLS or ALS) have one important reason to be there... for the patients sake. Promote changes as they occur and evaluate the problems we have and correct those. EMS has never been a stagnant business... like patient care, it continuously changes.

R/r 911

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that is a position that I can agree with. The BLS + ALS as needed system is, in my opinion, the most efficient and effective one.

R/Rid: I hope you can see why I felt that you were putting EMT-Bs down. Apologies for flying off the handle. :wacko:

Peace,
Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
The point of the authors on some of the posts (albeit, it was not done nicely) is we have to justify what we do. Saying it is the way we always done it, will not cut it anymore. Every IV needs a reason to be started. Every time oxygen is placed on a patient, there needs to be some justification (albeit may be for prophylactic reasons)

Such as oxygen at 15 lpm.. who idea was this? There has never been no research to show or demonstrate it actually increases oxygenation to an AMI patient (once the Hgb is full, no other 02 can bind). All AHA ever stated was high flow > 10 per mask could be beneficial for ischemia. Now for some reason we felt EMT's could not figure that out and started preaching and requiring 15 lpm per NRBM. Therefore everyone is covered (in case someone screwed up).

Side note:(**Actually, now some researchers have discovered it might actually cause harm, that it might actually cause constriction (similar to arterial receptors in the brain). Wow, if they are right, think of all the changes!...(and people gripe now, about simple CPR changes )

My head hurts.....;) I'd love to see the research about 15L O2 causing more harm than good. I regard O2 as a handy little tool in my toolkit that can (among other things) help a patient relax, reduce pain, and improve O2 sats. I'd be shocked if O2 could harm a patient in the way you mention, but if it could, we need to change the protocols stat.

We have to stop training our providers to follow step-lists and check lists. Patient verily rarely falls into a check list category. Each one should be treated accordingly. But this is for another rant...

We in EMS (volly, paid, BLS or ALS) have one important reason to be there... for the patients sake. Promote changes as they occur and evaluate the problems we have and correct those. EMS has never been a stagnant business... like patient care, it continuously changes.

Amen.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief

Do you have a link?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember although oxygen is a gas, it is a medication when applied into a higher dose than 21 % level. Like any other medication it too has side effects even harmful to fatal.

Hopefully, you were taught not to hyperventilate (again not to refer of not applying oxygen, but hyperventilating) head injury patients due to physiology of what occurs with high levels of oxygenation concentration. Cerebral arteries are not like peripheral arteries and have oxygen receptor sites that are susceptible to high oxygen levels and low carbon dioxide levels. These sites recognize high levels of the oxygen and cause vasoconstriction, thus decreasing bleeding (which can be good) but this also causes decreased blood supply distal to the artery. Therefore impaired to no circulation may occur to the distal side of the artery. This could include causes of cerebral ischemia, necrosis. (copy of revised national standard protocols for brain injuries
http://www2.braintrauma.org/guidelines/downloads/btf_guidelines_prehospital.pdf )

Now, they are discovering that coronary arteries might have the same characteristics. This is again the possible findings.

Again, it is still under research.. but don't be surprised if it does not change with the next CPR and ACLS changes in a few years.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I to would like to see the studys. Not that I don't think this is true but just to read it. As you very well know things in ems changes every day.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting, I always heard no hyperventilation due to decrease in CO2 but never heard or knew that the amount of O2 had anything to do with it. In fact, I don't remember reading anything about O2 sensitivity or receptors in PHTLS or ITLS either.

oh man, 80 pages, you're killing me.

mace85

Forum Probie
Was helpful.

I am an EMT student, hoping to pursue my Medic, and I currently work in a hospital.

I was actually finding this conversation educational and intresting. I particularly enjoy Rid's posts. I can understand much of it, and what I do not yet understand I look up or ask the doc's around here. Seeing the advanced information drives me to learn as much as I can (we have an awesome medical library.)

But let me say this. I want to further my education in every way possible. Hence why I am here. However everytime this forum turns into a pissing match between the EMT-B's, I's, P's, RN, CCRN, etc. it only drives me further away. I see this as a diservice to a providers who are trying to "be recognized as a profession."

Please grow up, if you have an issue with a level of training, work to change it. It's easy to be a keyboard commando, it's harder to become an EMT-B instructor, or develop programs for your agency and improve upon the problem. If you feel EMT-B's are useless, then do something about it. But above all, do not insult the provider. For every one that is happy at their education level, there is another who wants to improve. All this *****ing is doing is removing peoples desire to work in the field, and destroying your "professional image."

You may notice this is my first post. I was forum lurker, but derailing this educational conversation to whip it out and play "whose is bigger" really bothered me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Welcome to the forum. I am glad these topics have peeked your interest. As you mature into the profession, you will see that this is a common problem among profesionals.

If you are addressing me, I can assure you I have worked upon various ad-hoc committees at both state and national levels for the improvement of EMS.As well as a full time research and consultant to various states for betterment of EMS, and a EMS professor at various programs. Meanwhile still performed in the field and hospital setting. If you are not in the trenches, it is hard to identify the problems.

I agree this appears to be some problems within our profession, however; you might find this is common in many professions especially health care. Increase debate leads to researching and discussing changes and improvement of oneself. Apathy is one of major problems, other are of course lack of education, dispensing inaccurate or poor information about EMS systems and medical care. Many assume if it is not performed or like it is in their area it is wrong. This is the greatness of forums, allow one to see outside local policies and protocols. As viewing the good and the bad, and the need of improved research.

I do agree, it may appear to be harsh at times. I can reassure you it is the norm of health care professionals. I hear it and read it on med student forums, physician forums of ... surgeons versus family practitioners.. etc. It actually sometimes entices one to research, read and hopefully learn something, if not at least recognize a different view. I know personally I have learned a lot from EMS forums, at least different approaches on the same problems.

Again, good luck in your studies and career!

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I am an EMT student, hoping to pursue my Medic, and I currently work in a hospital.

I was actually finding this conversation educational and interesting. I particularly enjoy Rid's posts. I can understand much of it, and what I do not yet understand I look up or ask the doc's around here. Seeing the advanced information drives me to learn as much as I can (we have an awesome medical library.)

But let me say this. I want to further my education in every way possible. Hence why I am here. However everytime this forum turns into a pissing match between the EMT-B's, I's, P's, RN, CCRN, etc. it only drives me further away. I see this as a diservice to a providers who are trying to "be recognized as a profession."

Please grow up, if you have an issue with a level of training, work to change it. It's easy to be a keyboard commando, it's harder to become an EMT-B instructor, or develop programs for your agency and improve upon the problem. If you feel EMT-B's are useless, then do something about it. But above all, do not insult the provider. For every one that is happy at their education level, there is another who wants to improve. All this *****ing is doing is removing peoples desire to work in the field, and destroying your "professional image."

You may notice this is my first post. I was forum lurker, but derailing this educational conversation to whip it out and play "whose is bigger" really bothered me.

Ok everybody, you heard mace85, lets not discuss anymore hot topics that might be a little controversial. Lets make this website one dimensional and stick with harmless educational topics. Lets avoid the big issues that may threaten our careers in the years to come.

I agree that too much of one thing is bad and so I try to limit myself but stop altogether...hmm...no thanks.

mace85

Forum Probie
Rid...I have read enough of your posts to know you are very active in those areas. Believe me I am not calling you out. I would like to eventually be able to look at things as you are able to. However, Guardian I am not implying that this forum should bland and 1 dimensional. You shared your opinion, and I shared mine. However when people imply that EMT-Bs have no buisness in the field that is out of line. Just because your a higher tier provider does not mean that the providers under you are useless. If a paramedic believes that basics are without purpose, then maybe they should take an active role in educating them. Attempt to bring them up to the level YOU see fit. Formally or informally. Fix the problem. Do not make a blanket statement.

My original point is this: a thread that was started to discuss a medical issue was converted into a pissing match. That helps no one.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Rid...I have read enough of your posts to know you are very active in those areas. Believe me I am not calling you out. I would like to eventually be able to look at things as you are able to. However, Guardian I am not implying that this forum should bland and 1 dimensional. You shared your opinion, and I shared mine. However when people imply that EMT-Bs have no buisness in the field that is out of line. Just because your a higher tier provider does not mean that the providers under you are useless. If a paramedic believes that basics are without purpose, then maybe they should take an active role in educating them. Attempt to bring them up to the level YOU see fit. Formally or informally. Fix the problem. Do not make a blanket statement.

My original point is this: a thread that was started to discuss a medical issue was converted into a pissing match. That helps no one.

Congrats, you're now in your first pissing match with me. lol

"However when people imply that EMT-Bs have no buisness in the field that is out of line" Says you, there are plenty of people who would rather have 2 critical care paramedics taking care of their family. I don't want to get into this debate, just wanted to point out that you are now arguing the very same point you discouraged us from arguing in your first post.

"If a paramedic believes that basics are without purpose, then maybe they should take an active role in educating them"...that's what I'm doing right now.

"My original point is this: a thread that was started to discuss a medical issue was converted into a pissing match. That helps no one"...well, you know the old saying, one man's pissing match is another man's...

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
You know, the interesting thing is I'm currently an EMT-B student yet I find myself agreeing that EMTs are poorly trained. Why? Well, every topic we cover in class such as respiratory problems, soft tissue injuries, etc. take up a whole whopping 30-page chapter. I'm sure some training is better than nothing but seriously, that's just nothing. My friend in medic school has about ten textbooks compared to my one. I don't think it'd be too outlandish for EMT-Bs to at least have a few textbooks worth of information to read if people want them to have more training. Hell, for that matter, it'd probably go a long way to start producing EMTs with associate degrees and paramedics with bachelor degrees in paramedicine.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lets keep this thread on topic please. Keep personal issues/comments to PMs.