Americare is Bad

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to steal Rescue One's wind, but come apply at Glendale Fire Department for Ambulance Operator! Apps are open through the 14th. 100% 911, station based, no street corner posting, brand new Dodge RAs, transport all BLS/ALS calls, City employees, 12.80/hour starting pay.

Still apply to Rescue One or whomever in the meantime as the downside is our hiring process is modeled after the FF process (i.e. you'll apply, have a qualifying written exam, then an oral interview board, pass that start backgrounds with a full field investigation and polygraph (not just a DMV/Livescan check) followed my a Chiefs Interview and then physical, pick up uniforms and then start a 2 week AO Academy ~8-9 months after applying).

But the GFD AO position is (in my slightly biased) opinion the best single role EMT position in the county, best paying, working conditions etc

Gerardo Vargas

Forum Ride Along
Not to steal Rescue One's wind, but come apply at Glendale Fire Department for Ambulance Operator! Apps are open through the 14th. 100% 911, station based, no street corner posting, brand new Dodge RAs, transport all BLS/ALS calls, City employees, 12.80/hour starting pay.

Still apply to Rescue One or whomever in the meantime as the downside is our hiring process is modeled after the FF process (i.e. you'll apply, have a qualifying written exam, then an oral interview board, pass that start backgrounds with a full field investigation and polygraph (not just a DMV/Livescan check) followed my a Chiefs Interview and then physical, pick up uniforms and then start a 2 week AO Academy ~8-9 months after applying).

But the GFD AO position is (in my slightly biased) opinion the best single role EMT position in the county, best paying, working conditions etc
Hey I work at AmeriCare Ambulance. Its my first EMT job, and ive been there for 2 months. I applied at San Bernardino County Fire for the AO Position there. Passed my written test, and just waiting for a interview now (Hopefully). What are my chances of getting hired? Im 19 years old, rather new to the EMS world, but I manage everything pretty well, and Ive done a few 911 back up calls just fine. Please let me know! THANKS

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey I work at AmeriCare Ambulance. Its my first EMT job, and ive been there for 2 months. I applied at San Bernardino County Fire for the AO Position there. Passed my written test, and just waiting for a interview now (Hopefully). What are my chances of getting hired? Im 19 years old, rather new to the EMS world, but I manage everything pretty well, and Ive done a few 911 back up calls just fine. Please let me know! THANKS
I can't tell you much about SBCoFD AO as it's a completely different department and all, but I can tell you here in Glendale we've hired people who this is their first EMT job. It's all in how you're able to sell yourself and your life experiences to the interview panel. Especially if you're looking to eventually get hired as a firefighter somewhere, spending a little bit of money on an interview prep service (preferably one where they coach you in person) will go a long ways.

Gerardo Vargas

Forum Ride Along
I can't tell you much about SBCoFD AO as it's a completely different department and all, but I can tell you here in Glendale we've hired people who this is their first EMT job. It's all in how you're able to sell yourself and your life experiences to the interview panel. Especially if you're looking to eventually get hired as a firefighter somewhere, spending a little bit of money on an interview prep service (preferably one where they coach you in person) will go a long ways.
What about if I want to be a Flight Medic? Would they hire me like that? I know I can sell myself pretty well. I just want to know what not to say