Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
SIGH.

*Gets called for a Interview with this company*
*Gets happy*
*Comes here and reads this thread*

oh.
:unsure:

Another Sigh.....I heard there are only 2 rigs dedicated to 911 in Santa Monica. So much for 911 experience......

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

tylerkd07

Forum Crew Member
while i was waiting for my oral interview, several employees came up to me and told me i shouldn't work there because that company was going down hill.

after here all this from this forum im glad i didnt take the job. i got offered somewhere else that im very thankful for.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
5-6 rigs dedicated to 911 in Santa Monica. All of which are 24 hour shifts. They are not completely dedicated as I have heard from guys and gals on the 911 cars that they get the occasional IFT.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Should I even go to the interview on June 6th? Is it really that bad? damn.

I have a friend who has an interview with Medlife ambulance that same day, I've heard nothing but good things about that place. Americare on the other hand........

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I applied to Med life at the beginning of this year and another time on 5/18.

Nothing :sad:

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I left a voice mail and emailed them. I guess I have to drive down there and speak to them in person.

That works.....I heard the guy to talk to over there is Jacob, he does all the hiring.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
while i was waiting for my oral interview, several employees came up to me and told me i shouldn't work there because that company was going down hill.

after here all this from this forum im glad i didnt take the job. i got offered somewhere else that im very thankful for.

Flight LP,
I think this is a sign that the original poster had a few more problems than the other ambulance companies in the local area have.

As far as mealtimes, for 911 shifts, it might be understandable to not get them, since the public is calling. For IFT shifts, it's not as acceptable to run 10-11 hours without time to eat, especially if many of your calls are ones the company voluntarily accepted (hospital to home discharges for example). A lot of the IFT companies run their crews worse than 911 companies. In 911, you might have 2-3 minutes of downtime to make a dash into a gas station to grab some snacks, cool water, use the restroom. On some IFT shifts (not talking about the company in question specifically), one runs back to back the entire shift. No 2-3 minute breaks for snacks, etc.

Some of the other issues he mentioned, I do seem unreasonable when compared to other companies in the area...He MIGHT just be a whiner...but a lot of times when EMTs talk about these work conditions, they're actually worse than they seem on paper here.

To original poster. If your company is running you without appropriate supplies, do know what contacting the local EMS Agency is an option. They're the ones who renew licenses to do business in the county, so do have some say...

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Additionally, the idea that one should just move on or take a different job because of poor conditions is unsatisfactory. The original poster mentioned things like Medicare fraud which is a very realistic (and serious) issue that EMTs have come to me about before. We have locally have several cases of ambulance company owners being put in federal prison. Other issues such as not allowing for proper patient care are legitimate concerns.

The answer is not to settle on those problems just being part of the nature of the beast. Hurried meals, occasional shifts without eating all day, having to ration your supplies, SURE...part of EMS. Being directly told to lie on paperwork, not getting to eat an actual meal shift after shift, being told transfer patients against local protocols, etc etc are NOT part of EMS. No one directly said they were, but it was implied by brushing off concerns about local EMS voiced in this thread...there are definitely real problems locally that are NOT acceptable.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain

You should always jump at the chance to interview. Worst thing that could happen is you decide to decline an offer. The experience will help you to learn what is right and what is wrong with your "presentation" and could prove valuable down the road. Keep an open mind before you go in and give the interview you would give if this was your dream agency.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Additionally, the idea that one should just move on or take a different job because of poor conditions is unsatisfactory. The original poster mentioned things like Medicare fraud which is a very realistic (and serious) issue that EMTs have come to me about before. We have locally have several cases of ambulance company owners being put in federal prison. Other issues such as not allowing for proper patient care are legitimate concerns.

The answer is not to settle on those problems just being part of the nature of the beast. Hurried meals, occasional shifts without eating all day, having to ration your supplies, SURE...part of EMS. Being directly told to lie on paperwork, not getting to eat an actual meal shift after shift, being told transfer patients against local protocols, etc etc are NOT part of EMS. No one directly said they were, but it was implied by brushing off concerns about local EMS voiced in this thread...there are definitely real problems locally that are NOT acceptable.

One of the things I have found most annoying about returning to CA is having to deal with the dreaded Cal meal card. Now I am a commercial driver and this may not apply to other occupations but I thought it was a state wide labor law.

The state of CA requires us to take two 30 min meal breaks,one within 5 hours of the start of the day and one within 5 hours of your first break. This is for a 14 hour day but like EMS and other non traditional occupations its sometimes a real pain to get that break in. The break has to be logged off duty while parked and your not supposed to be doing anything work related.

This came about after the UPS law suit where employees were not being given breaks at regular intervals.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Did a quick google search and came up with www.gotmealbreaks.com. This helps explain the law a little better and may give people a better understanding of how to address this issue with employers that are not giving required meal breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
If you google "public servants and cal meal breaks" the first link is to the CA department of industrial relations. My main focus was on possible retaliation by employers if an employee files a wage claim and how the law may be different for 911 workers.

Everyone talks about making things better for EMS workers,this seems like a good place to start. If your not getting your required meal breaks your employer is in violation and needs to be held accountable. Not everyone needs a break every 5 hours but you should not be working day in and day out with only short breaks during long shifts.

tylerkd07

Forum Crew Member
I was with a company once in so Cal that didn't give us meal breaks all the time. I handled with that by taking a sack lunch, but the real problem for me was they took an hour pay out of your paycheck without giving u a lunch. So essentially I worked for free an hour a shift. So I can see where the OP is coming from.

Sasha

Forum Chief

You can't get an EMT job?

And you're being picky at what company you work for?

Even if it SUCKS it's still experience to get you in the door somewhere else.