AmeriCare Interview

OP
OP
C

CaptainKidd

Forum Crew Member
It's a small company who had all their higher ups that were growing the company all just quit and left - now the company is losing all their IFT contracts and there few 911 contracts. You'll understand after you work there a few months.

Can you provide proof of this? I've not heard this from others. No offense, but many people love to put down the company they "used to work for". I'm not saying that's the case with you, but I'm sure you know that many people have different feelings about different companies. For example.. I know you were recently excited to work for Care. I know a few former employees who would speak of Care in the same way you speak of Americare. I'm just saying... not that I don't believe you. I just choose to know the facts before I pass judgement. :beerchug:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Chan, not offense.. But you haven't worked there and you have not seen the corruptness first hand. Yes, it's a job. But let it be a stepping stone, continue to try to get on with a more reputable service with more job security.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
And I didn't ask you to believe me, I was offering you some advice. No offense but your probably some brand new EMT that doesn't understand the inner workings of private EMS and is just excited to get hired anywhere - which I respect. My advice is to mind your P's and Q's - always document everything. Theyre quick to terminate for the smallest infractions - some great co-workers there however. God do I miss some of my partners there - but just be aware and always CYA. I do wish you well though, for a first ems job it will get your feet wet and you'll gain some experience, but if given a better opportunity - I urge you to take it. If you can try to get put on 24's in orange county - the quality of co-workers is much higher. The OC manager is pretty relaxed and you'll enjoy the job more + they get the majority of what little 911 experience AmeriCare offers.

OP
OP
C

CaptainKidd

Forum Crew Member
Chan, not offense.. But you haven't worked there and you have not seen the corruptness first hand. Yes, it's a job. But let it be a stepping stone, continue to try to get on with a more reputable service with more job security.

I think what Chan means is that you find that "corruptness" all over. I agree, no company is perfect and I'm sure we can all find the good, the bad, and the ugly with just about every company. The way I see it is... There's always 2 sides to every story. Then there's the truth. The company I work for now probably makes most other companies look like the "Best Company Ever!"

To each his own. At the end of the day, if I can support my family, pay the bills, and hopefully learn something... it's a win.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, and yea sadly the vice president and CFO left. They vp is the one that got them the Santa Monica contract being she used to be a major player at doctors but she left, not quite sure why. And the CFO was a good friend of the owner but something happened and be left. Then the operations director/manager became pregnant so the dispatch manager took the position - he does an okay job but from what I understand not as well as his wife. Like I said - congrats, it's a job. A lot of great EMT's there - especially in orange county. It's just not on the same level as other companies out there is all I'm suggesting.

OP
OP
C

CaptainKidd

Forum Crew Member
And I didn't ask you to believe me, I was offering you some advice. No offense but your probably some brand new EMT that doesn't understand the inner workings of private EMS and is just excited to get hired anywhere - which I respect. My advice is to mind your P's and Q's - always document everything. Theyre quick to terminate for the smallest infractions - some great co-workers there however. God do I miss some of my partners there - but just be aware and always CYA. I do wish you well though, for a first ems job it will get your feet wet and you'll gain some experience, but if given a better opportunity - I urge you to take it. If you can try to get put on 24's in orange county - the quality of co-workers is much higher. The OC manager is pretty relaxed and you'll enjoy the job more + they get the majority of what little 911 experience AmeriCare offers.

See, this is what I mean. You seem to harbor some ill feelings toward the company which makes me wonder if your opinion is a truly valid one. In essence, can you be unbiased in your advice? Where I work now, I work with a guy who spends all day bad-mouthing Schaefer. He has nothing but bad things to say, and loves to tell everyone how the company sucks and is falling apart. The dude has a bad attitude and walks around like he invented EMS. It was no surprise to hear that he was fired form Schaefer... hmm... I wonder why? Again, you can throw around insults all you want... you have that right. Hell, you can even try insulting me, as you did in your post above. Just know that the more you bad-mouth a company with absolutely nothing to back it up... the more suspect you seem. FYI.

Cheers!

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
I wasn't fired lol and my feeling are a result of things that I've see happen to my old coworkers since I left. Btw I didnt try to insult you, (am I sensing a little hypersensitivity?) So, essentially what you're saying is that you refuse to accept anything negative said in regards to the company because you feel it's biased? Well, obviously something had to happen to create that bias, right? Kinda seems like a flawed thought process to me, I mean with all due respect don't take my word for it; I'm just offering some friendly advice - take it or leave - believe me or don't - but don't get upset/offended because I was trying to help out another emt.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I wasn't fired lol and my feeling are a result of things that I've see happen to my old coworkers since I left. Btw I didnt try to insult you, (am I sensing a little hypersensitivity?) So, essentially what you're saying is that you refuse to accept anything negative said in regards to the company because you feel it's biased? Well, obviously something had to happen to create that bias, right? Kinda seems like a flawed thought process to me, I mean with all due respect don't take my word for it; I'm just offering some friendly advice - take it or leave - believe me or don't - but don't get upset/offended because I was trying to help out another emt.

I actually get a feeling you're the one taking offense to most comments on here. All I implied was every job has its faults, but its still a job and it'll pay your bills. In this economy just having a job is a blessing. Do it to the standard of care to cover yourself (make sure you keep your own records of EVERYTHING) and look for another job that has "higher standards".

Searching for a job while having a job is easier than searching for a job without a job. The truth is that we're EMTs (any level), we can be easily replaced in a day or two.

OP
OP
C

CaptainKidd

Forum Crew Member

OK look, I realize this is going nowhere. I never said you were fired. I was making a point that everyone has a reason for their feelings about the company/companies they work for, or used to work for, and that there are 2 sides to every story. Clearly you didn't understand that.

You can try to put words in my mouth all you want. I'm guessing you're a young guy, and still have much to learn about life in general, which explains your overwhelming negative response to this company and conversation. It's funny to see your earlier posts where you talk differently about the company. Point is; I know what I said, and I believe others with on here understand where I'm coming from and would agree. I don't believe every company to be perfect nor to I believe that what you say is untrue. I however, look at all sides and decide for myself. To do otherwise would unfair to everyone.

I'm sure you have your reasons, and that's cool, but when you make the claims you have made, be prepared to back them up with some evidence so others, like me, have something more than your word to go on.

I wish you the best, and hope that you find happiness wherever you work.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Well please be realistic, I'm not going to bring my proof over the Internet and give up any anonymity I might have. I do have it, but I really don't feel this is the place for that.

donkeykong

Forum Ride Along
OK look, I realize this is going nowhere. I never said you were fired. I was making a point that everyone has a reason for their feelings about the company/companies they work for, or used to work for, and that there are 2 sides to every story. Clearly you didn't understand that.

You can try to put words in my mouth all you want. I'm guessing you're a young guy, and still have much to learn about life in general, which explains your overwhelming negative response to this company and conversation. It's funny to see your earlier posts where you talk differently about the company. Point is; I know what I said, and I believe others with on here understand where I'm coming from and would agree. I don't believe every company to be perfect nor to I believe that what you say is untrue. I however, look at all sides and decide for myself. To do otherwise would unfair to everyone.

I'm sure you have your reasons, and that's cool, but when you make the claims you have made, be prepared to back them up with some evidence so others, like me, have something more than your word to go on.

I wish you the best, and hope that you find happiness wherever you work.

Cheers.

hey captainkidd I was wondering how you felt about americare after working there for a couple of months now? I have my interview this Friday, and I was wondering what americare is like (ratio of IFT:911, pay, management, etc)

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
hey captainkidd I was wondering how you felt about americare after working there for a couple of months now? I have my interview this Friday, and I was wondering what americare is like (ratio of IFT:911, pay, management, etc)

Can anyone provide an up to date response? Thanks!:D

LAemt

Forum Ride Along
Landed an interview/test last week and got hired.

The test wasn't too bad, but if you don't get at least an 80% you'll not be able to take the skills test/interview. Make sure you know your mnemonics.

The skills is simple, they give you the sheet you'll be graded on to study for a bit, so it's not that big of a deal.

Been looking for an ER Tech job for quite some time, but I'll take this job until I find one.

Awesome, good luck with the job! By any chance, were you a Medlife cast-off?

LAemt

Forum Ride Along
Nope, I've worked with Gerber in the past (that was pretty meh at the end). I just wanted to bump this thread since you guys gave me some pointers for my interview and test.

I applied to Gerber a while ago and never got a response....Americare called a week after my application.

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! I ended up not going to the interview last week cause I got a job offer from Pacific Ambulance