Ambuserve

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I just got a job offer from them, anyone know anything about this company?

all i know is they are an IFT company, and are CAAS Accredited

and im gonna be getting a paycut compared to my last IFT job, but right now ill take any Job i can get

terrible one

Always wandering
There are pretty much like the other 100 IFT companies in LA county, huge on dialysis runs. They've got a lot bigger than when I was in LA a few years back, I could never deal with green ambulances and white shirts haha.
Rumor was they were one of the numerous IFT companies that are a front for the Russian Mob, of course that is just a rumor .....

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
There are pretty much like the other 100 IFT companies in LA county, huge on dialysis runs. They've got a lot bigger than when I was in LA a few years back, I could never deal with green ambulances and white shirts haha.
Rumor was they were one of the numerous IFT companies that are a front for the Russian Mob, of course that is just a rumor .....

Haha sweet, but there are only 13 companies in CA that are CAAS certified... and they show up in the LA County EMS Website

so they must be somewhat legit

im sure there are more shiesty companies in LA County
*Cough* Mauran, Enova *cough*

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Haha sweet, but there are only 13 companies in CA that are CAAS certified... and they show up in the LA County EMS Website

so they must be somewhat legit

im sure there are more shiesty companies in LA County
*Cough* Mauran, Enova *cough*

Most of the ambulance companys are IFT, there is only so much 911 calls to go around. Is there really a russian mob in LA County? Don't forget if major natural disaster hits or terorist attack happens all of the ambulance will be on 911 respond if it's bad enough.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Most of the ambulance companys are IFT, there is only so much 911 calls to go around. Is there really a russian mob in LA County? Don't forget if major natural disaster hits or terorist attack happens all of the ambulance will be on 911 respond if it's bad enough.

Well i dont know about the Russian Mob haha

but yeah there are only a small handful of 911 companies in LA County: Mccormick, Gerber, Schafer, AMR,CARE (all of them i belive are CAAS Certified)

there are a ton of IFT companies, but only a few notable ones. im hoping ambuserve is one of them :)

also ambuserve is part of the disaster response drills that happen in LA County/State of CA

Danson

Forum Crew Member
I have a few friends that work there and they say that it's pretty shady...but hey, a job's a job right?

I guess we can't get too choosy in this economy. Just count your hours and CYA!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a few friends that work there and they say that it's pretty shady...but hey, a job's a job right?

I guess we can't get too choosy in this economy. Just count your hours and CYA!

i am curious what they don't like about that company. Is it low pay long hours, bad management, bad equipment? It seems that most emt don't like a company unless they do 911 which as i have pointed out before can't be done by everyone

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
It seems the company does have low pay compared to other IFT's, but i cant say too much about the management and the equipment as i havnt started working there yet. but from what ive seen going to the HQ a few times, their rigs seem to be clean and in working order

so i have a question

Is it alot easier to go to a 911 Company after getting experience in a IFT or similar setting? (as compared to a EMT fresh out of school?)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It seems the company does have low pay compared to other IFT's, but i cant say too much about the management and the equipment as i havnt started working there yet. but from what ive seen going to the HQ a few times, their rigs seem to be clean and in working order

so i have a question

Is it alot easier to go to a 911 Company after getting experience in a IFT or similar setting? (as compared to a EMT fresh out of school?)

I know the companies I've applied for and know about (both here in CO and in ABQ) look for any experience. As we've said on here a bunch, EMTs are a dime a dozen, so anything to set yourself apart from competitors will help

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm amazed there are actually jobs for EMT basics in some places. Where I'm at if youre not a paramedic forget it. A few of the more urban areas in the state might hire basics, but they all require at least one year experience, more education beyond just an emt basic course, and youre competing against a hundred other basics. Even then it's probably some part time gig.

No one in my EMT class has found an EMS job, and we had pre med students, firefighters, first responders, CNA's, ER clerks, and none of them are deemed qualified.

I'm just doing the first responder thing and going to medic school, I gave up trying to find work as a basic.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief

so i have a question

Yes low pay does make people unhappy about their job, however in this economy companys can afford to pay below industry average and not worry about it. At the same time, finding good workers is hard.

In order to get a job at companys that currently have 911 contract, you do need to have prior experience. That is not to say that you can't get a job without it but it will be very difficult being how big the poll of emt's/paramedics is right now. At the end of day, it all comes down to what can you bring to the table.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I'm amazed there are actually jobs for EMT basics in some places. Where I'm at if youre not a paramedic forget it. A few of the more urban areas in the state might hire basics, but they all require at least one year experience, more education beyond just an emt basic course, and youre competing against a hundred other basics. Even then it's probably some part time gig.

No one in my EMT class has found an EMS job, and we had pre med students, firefighters, first responders, CNA's, ER clerks, and none of them are deemed qualified.

I'm just doing the first responder thing and going to medic school, I gave up trying to find work as a basic.

its the opposite here, there are a few EMT spots but no Medic spots, there are Medics working as EMT's in quite a few companies.

id go to medic school but in order to be accepted i need at least 6 months exp. on the field

TommyGavin

Forum Ride Along

what medic school are you or did you go to?

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
I was just hired by AmbuServe. Their HQ is absolutely gorgeous compared to the last company I worked for, and the few companies I interviewed at. I am very excited to start working for them.

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant

Depends on the area. I always advocate for Kern County (sure, there's a bias) as ALL the ambulance services do 911 and most don't require any experience. If you don't mind the commute, or are willing to move, it would be your best route.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on the area. I always advocate for Kern County (sure, there's a bias) as ALL the ambulance services do 911 and most don't require any experience. If you don't mind the commute, or are willing to move, it would be your best route.

Which companies are up there? And what kind of shifts do they do? 48 or 96's? If so... I may consider it and actually commute.... lol

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
Which companies are up there? And what kind of shifts do they do? 48 or 96's? If so... I may consider it and actually commute.... lol

Hall Ambulance covers about 87% of the county. They do 8's, 10's and 12's in Metro Bakersfield, 24's in Arvin / Lamont, and 48's everywhere else. They will most likely make you work Bakersfield until something opens up in another area. Plus all your field training is in Bakersfield, so just know that going in.

Kern Ambulance covers Wasco / Lost Hills. I believe they work 48's and 72's. They do have a ton of overtime shifts working at the race tracks that they service.

Delano Ambulance covers Delano and McFarland. They work 24's, 48's, etc. I'm not if it's a decent place anymore as it's under new management.

Care Ambulance covers Lake Isabella and Kernville. They work 24's, 48's, etc. They have a really cool service area, as I absolutely love Kernville.

Libery Ambulance covers Ridgecrest. They work 48's and 72's. They have a HUGE response area that covers a lot of desert and wilderness areas. Be prepared for LONG transport times.

All of the services mentioned work in a single-medic system. Which means the ONLY paramedic on every call is the ambulance paramedic. It's a nice environment, especially if you are used to being treated as a "stretcher fetcher" in LA County.

All of the services have a good reputation and have been around since rocks were soft.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I may try to move up there maybe.... I'm in hemet so that's a 4 hour drive. How much are 2bed rentals up there?

Edit: Or how's the basic pay?

If I could do a 72 every week, that would be freaking amazing and i probably would do the commute.... and it'd only coast like 120 a week to commute.... Hm.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
If you want to work for Hall (which would be your best bet for full-time employment), you would be better off to move. The cost of living here is pretty reasonable. I would check apartmentfinder.com and look for either southwest, northwest, and some parts of northeast. Anything east of the 99 freeway and north of California ave is BAD NEWS.

Once you get out of training, there is usually plenty of overtime, mostly in the form of standbys and whatnot. Don't quote me on this but I think basics start around $12.50/hr (at least that's what it was for me when I started).