Ambulances - Best and Worst

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by dlkelleytn@Apr 12 2005, 07:52 AM
I would like to get some feedback from agencies who have experience with Marque Ambulances - good, bad, or otherwise.

We are considering adding them to our product line but would like to hear some comments from the field.

Feel free to email me privately if you don't want your comments posted.

Thanks!!!
Our company exclusively uses Marque III ambulances.

We use their Type II for BLS, and the larger mods for ALS.

Our oldest rig is from 2001, and it barely gets used anymore.

I can't really comment on how they perform compared to other vehicles, but I think generally they're average, maybe a bit above average.

I know you're probably looking for a lot more, but because I've only driven Marque, I really have nothing to compare them to.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
We have two fords and an 01 international. I'll take the fords anytime. The interanational has more room in the back but is a rough ride and too big for certain areas we cover. We used to have two huge "bumps" right before you get to the hospital if you hit those going over 30 and werent holding onto anything you went flying. They have since been fixed thank god.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Phridae@Apr 10 2005, 11:51 PM
No love for "Wheeled Roach." As far as I'm concerned, they're cheap.

Med-techs. Now those stand the test of time.
Road Rescue is not so bad either.
Wheeled Roach makes nice workhorse TRANSPORT rigs... they have huge vaccum potential when used in a pre-hospital / emergent setting...

They also are VERY pretty when new, but due to inexpensive construction and parts, they show wear more readily then "better" rigs (like HORTON :D ).

Never worked in a road rescue - cant say anything.

AEV - My Squad JUST got a re-chassis F350 back from AEV, and we've been AEV only for 5 or 10 years now. Inexpesive "wal-mart" style rigs - off the shelf availible and pretty durable. Not the best, and NO WHERE CLOSE TO WORST. I really want the horton-style electronics control panels, as opposed to the big switches for everything.

Anyway...

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Worst: MedTech.. That damn red logo flashing on the console pisses me off when I'm trying to concentrate.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 12 2005, 09:04 PM
Worst: MedTech.. That damn red logo flashing on the console pisses me off when I'm trying to concentrate.
Myself and PaRescue had a medtec as "our" truck. The Medtec logo seemed to throw PVC's :lol: Once it went asystolic. :eek: :lol:

I didn't know what setting to defib the truck at, so I just did CPR on the console and we got a rythym going :rolleyes: :D

Jon

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Apr 13 2005, 09:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Apr 13 2005, 09:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Apr 12 2005, 09:04 PM
Myself and PaRescue had a medtec as "our" truck. The Medtec logo seemed to throw PVC's :lol: Once it went asystolic. :eek: :lol:

I didn't know what setting to defib the truck at, so I just did CPR on the console and we got a rythym going :rolleyes: :D

Jon [/b][/quote]
Thats great.
Reminds me when another amublance provider around here had one of their rigs die in the garage. They had another amublance from another provider try and jump start it. "Clear!" they all shouted before attempting to start the dead truck. The messed around with a few other things to try and get it started. Then "started an IV", or pluged it in. After a little while, the doc in the ER came out to see what was going on. Then he called it. :lol:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Phridae+Apr 13 2005, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Phridae @ Apr 13 2005, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Apr 13 2005, 09:01 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Apr 12 2005, 09:04 PM

Jon
Thats great.
Reminds me when another amublance provider around here had one of their rigs die in the garage. They had another amublance from another provider try and jump start it. "Clear!" they all shouted before attempting to start the dead truck. The messed around with a few other things to try and get it started. Then "started an IV", or pluged it in. After a little while, the doc in the ER came out to see what was going on. Then he called it. :lol: [/b][/quote]
I unscrewed the panel over the console, and cut the wires. Little did I know that also affected the lights behind the switch labels. But after a while you memorize the imporant stuff so it doesn't matter. They fixed it twice, I said "Those damn mice"... They installed locks on the panel... so I just started to pull the fuse before my shift, and lose it during the course. Eventually they switched us to the rig w/ out power steering so I stopped doing it. :angry:

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
We run all type III PL Custom / Ford E-450's where I'm at

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtd29@May 7 2005, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the group. Now tell us who you are and "where you're at". :D

ECC

Forum Captain
Ambulance # 47 (35W from 1991 to 1994) 1991 Chevy C30/Southern with a HO 454, 14 Bolt Posi rear with 4.11:1 gears. Grabbed air on Eastern Parkway and Utica Avenue in front of a Deputy Chief. ;) She was the fastest and most comfortable ride I ever had.

Diesel wise: Ambulance #259 a Ford F350/Wheeled Coach with a 7.3 ltr TD. Kinda a dog off the line, build quality was OK, but not as nice as Southern or Horton.

Worst ride ever was #441 a 1987 Chevy C30/Southern with the air ride suspension. The whole box would shift on every bump! :angry:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
aevs are great becasue their cheap, they last a long time and theyre put together well. downsides are theyre cookie cutter, just enough space for req stuff and nothing else. a great no frills truck, but nothing more

most agencies cant afford to spec out their own hortons, althoug we'd all like to

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Not sure where we got our Horton from... almost 10 years old now, and tiny - the stretcher release mechanism had to be altered to make it short enough so we could close the doors... lol.

I like our custom PL's at the Corps but after what happened to the one in Riverhead on 5/3/05, I dunno....

ECC

Forum Captain
Isnt 2-12-5 a '93 Horton?!?!?

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC@May 17 2005, 02:00 PM
I think it's a 97. I've been begging for a new one, or ANOTHER one, what with our long round trips to HH, and the fact that they ignore you once you get there and end up spending forever transferring care, but noooooo.... you know the mentality out there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 17 2005, 03:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 17 2005, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ECC@May 17 2005, 02:00 PM
I think it's a 97. I've been begging for a new one, or ANOTHER one, what with our long round trips to HH, and the fact that they ignore you once you get there and end up spending forever transferring care, but noooooo.... you know the mentality out there. [/b][/quote]
but it's a horton... that's what is important....

Jon

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 17 2005, 03:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 17 2005, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ECC@May 17 2005, 02:00 PM
I think it's a 97. I've been begging for a new one, or ANOTHER one, what with our long round trips to HH, and the fact that they ignore you once you get there and end up spending forever transferring care, but noooooo.... you know the mentality out there. [/b][/quote]
I was out of there by '95...mebbe a little earlier so 5 cant be older than that.

I do not miss NYC or Long Island much...Centereach a GREAT deal...but the rest of the Island was not my thing.

When I went HH, I would find a stretcher, transfer the patient and start to walk out...thats when I got attention. USB is worse. JT Mather had a nurse who asked me why we brought a patient to her hospital @ 3:30am who suffered from pancreatic cancer that was affecting his insulin production. He presented AMS but that was remidied by 25G of D50....I told her we liked to kidnap patients out of a sound sleep and drop them off out of our catchment to liven everyone's evening. :rolleyes: ...nope do not miss Metro NYC EMS at all.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC+May 17 2005, 06:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 17 2005, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 03:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ECC
@May 17 2005, 02:00 PM

I think it's a 97. I've been begging for a new one, or ANOTHER one, what with our long round trips to HH, and the fact that they ignore you once you get there and end up spending forever transferring care, but noooooo.... you know the mentality out there.
I was out of there by '95...mebbe a little earlier so 5 cant be older than that.

I do not miss NYC or Long Island much...Centereach a GREAT deal...but the rest of the Island was not my thing.

When I went HH, I would find a stretcher, transfer the patient and start to walk out...thats when I got attention. USB is worse. JT Mather had a nurse who asked me why we brought a patient to her hospital @ 3:30am who suffered from pancreatic cancer that was affecting his insulin production. He presented AMS but that was remidied by 25G of D50....I told her we liked to kidnap patients out of a sound sleep and drop them off out of our catchment to liven everyone's evening. :rolleyes: ...nope do not miss Metro NYC EMS at all. [/b][/quote]
So ECC is yet another one of RescueCpt's cronies????

Along with alex and Medic03

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 08:11 PM

ECC is the older brother of someone I grew up with - he just stumbled upon our little haven here by coinkydink. :)

Alex and Medic03 are here because I told them to. :p

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 08:11 PM

I am the crony of NO ONE! :blink:

Posted that gem in the wrong thread... :p So I corrected myself and shared the love here too.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Chimpie+May 7 2005, 11:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ May 7 2005, 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-emtd29@May 7 2005, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the group. Now tell us who you are and "where you're at". :D

[/b][/quote]
I'm me. LOL :p

I'm currently in Nassau County, NY, ( yup, Lawn Guyland )
and run with a volly FD based EMS company that does approx 2500 calls a year
( bet you can't guess which one...)
(and NO, it ain't Long Beach )