Ambulance Vouyerism?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
LOL. I was doing a routine IFT the other day, on the ferry from Seattle bringing a patient home. While the PT and I were in the back, a very curious "lookie loo" came up, cupped her hands around her face and tried to peer through the back window into the truck. I thought the gawker was going to pass out when I flung the door open and said, "May I help you?" The patient laughed and laughed... It was a fun trip.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Abode.

I live near one post. When I am off duty I can watch out my window as units go by responding to calls. I don't care for the sound of sirens at all hours of the day, although my summer place has much less of a problem with that. When they get Rumblers I'll be pretty much screwed. I also have trains to listen to, oh joy.

Sometimes I do watch the units go by and guess what the call might be. Most of the time I keep the doors and windows shut to cut down on the sound.

I've never had anyone rubbing at the windows. That's kind of Salem's-Lot-ish.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Ooooooh. I think the protocol here is to try to get the Pt to the ER to increase quality of care but I could be wrong, maybe we are "Those" people here lol.

Aha, SOP. That makes sense now.

ETA: Thanks Marti. I thought it was normal too...kinda thought most people did it... but I was doubting myself for a moment there.

Hmm well a paramedic can work a code really well so they try to get as much done in the field as possible. Because many ERs just aren't ready and time it takes time to get to work.

Never followed an ambulance, but I have with PD. It was interesting, because it turned out that the suspect was fleeing so the PD made a U-turn, so we did too but once they pulled them over we kept driving (not to sketch them out).

JustMarti

Forum Probie
I really can't wait to get started lol. I'm such a dork.[/QUOTE]

No, you aren't a dork. Perfectly normal.
Have a great time with your ride-a-longs. Just remember to back out
of the way when the patient pukes. :unsure:

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
Oh, I'm not supposed to try to catch it? :p

I can't IMAGINE just...peering into an ambulance. I was amazed by my own boldness at such a distance that I wouldn't have seen more than some figures moving around. What sort of person just has the nerve to stroll up to an ambulance and be like "Oh, hey, sup? No I don't have a cert or anything, just curious!"? ...actually, don't answer that. I suspect the number is higher than I want to know.

Buzz

Forum Captain
If I see another ambulance out on the road, I typically glance at it, more or less to see if it is from the service I work for, and if it is, who's working in it. Never really cared enough to see what was going on in back, though as it's usually nothing interesting.

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
Yes, curiosity is normal. You want to get a first hand look at what you'll be doing every day once you finish class. You'll have plenty of time to see everything first hand once you start your ride time.

As for the 'running hot' during a code or similar: It is preferable to pull over and work the code. If you work with a medic, for example, then you'd do compressions while intubation is done, epi and atropine are pushed, etc., and backup can be called for extra sets of hands so you or someone else can drive in nice and easy to the E/R while CPR is being done. If this is done right, this does increase pt. care quality.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
a little passion is nothing to get worked up about.
I admit to driving by an call on my way home, when I could have taken another street, a long time before I became an EMT.

Now, psh, I go out of my way to avoid seeing ambulances on my days off.

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
As time goes on, you are going to care less about "other" patients.
Rather you will care about your own.

To be honest...
I live minutes away from two major hospitals and I'll still watch the "buses" fly by. At this point in my (volunteer) career, I typically care more about identifying the service or if I know the crew members. I don't want to sound callous, but I really don't want to know what's happening in the back.

To address your "voyeurism" question....
I am mildly curious when one of my neighbors calls an ambulance. However, other neighbors will likely give my wife all the gossipy details with significantly more information that I would be able to gather by rubbernecking.

Hockey

Quackers
I flip off passing ambulances going code

Just kidding of course ;)

I look to see what company but I just keep going, one day I may find a new company

My give a damn has busted already

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
This will pass, but it may be prognostic for whackerism.

I admit, I do look up/out the window when sirens pass, mostly to see the company and how they're driving.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I live on the same block as a firehouse, so I often don't even notice sirens anymore. But if there's an ambulance or engine right in front of me, I'll glance up to see if I know anyone.

The only time I'll get curious is if there way more sirens than usual. If there's enough to make me seriously wonder, I just need to turn on the news to find out.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
MUST SEE!" and I swung into a nearby parking lot and tried to find a spot that let me see. There was a darn bush in my way so I couldn't -grumble- but darned if I didn't try.

You have all the makings for an EMS Paparazzi. See me for an application! :rolleyes:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a normal urge until you have a card and the slightest bit of street experience I'd say.

The curiosity part I mean. I never actually followed an ambulance, that seems a bit ridiculous.

I live in a town approx 2500 people and if a ambulance or fire truck goes by then people will follow it to the scene and watch. This has happened in the towns that lived in.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
if im on the free way at night and i come upon a rig with the lights on in back i'll have a short look... then pass them.

I do however love the sound and lights of an ambulance... but like everyone says... it passes in exhileration

MGary

Forum Probie
The whole "voyeurism" thing is completely normal. However, it does wear off.

I remember as a kid I was so interested in accidents that would happen on this intersection behind my house that I would get out binoculars to more accurately see what the victims looked like and what the FFs were doing.

When I enrolled in EMT-Basic, my parents got me a scanner for Christmas. I used to sleep with that thing on. I would wake up to the tone-out and listen to what was going on and where before I could go back to sleep. Other EMTs I've talked to have done this as well, but as you get more experience actually working the calls, you care less about the ones that you aren't on anymore. It is no longer worth interrupting my sleep just to be nosy and listen to what/where before dozing off again.

The scanner is now a nearly permanent fixture in my car. I do "Scanner chase" on occasion, but this isn't seen at all as a nuisance, as almost every Medic, Intermediate, and fellow Basic around here knows me personally and has ridden with me, and is more than happy to have another trained set of hands on-scene who is able to either work on the patient(s) or drive. I usually don't go in my POV unless I'm either closer to the scene than the ambulance or they have multiple patients and are stuck on scene and in obvious need of some help.

So yes, this curiosity is completely normal and a good sign as far as I'm concerned. Shows you have some passion for the science/art of EMS. I'd be more than happy to have you as a ride-along with me.

Welcome to EMS. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: