Ambulance use of audio recording for documentation

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
I have a feeling I'm going to get my hand slapped for asking this, but could not find anything definitive regarding the issue.

It seems to me that carrying a personal audio recording device on an ambulance would be a benefit in a couple ways.

-keep better documentation for PCRs, no guesswork on remembering changes in patient condition after difficult calls
-allow the ems provider more ability to focus on patient treatment/assessment

I have read that some ambulances carry video and even have data uploads from monitoring equipment for cqi and legal protection. As I understand it, the ems providers on board normally have no access to this data. Does anyone carry a pocket audio recorder or something similar on their rigs? Did you have to get department/company permission to do so? Do you erase the data after use, or keep an archive for protection vs. litigation/prosecution?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
There are tangible benefits that have been discussed previously on the forum. Unless your company has a system in place to use, manage, and maintain the information, trying to keep personal recordings isn't worth it. It's not as simple as keeping it on a hard drive "just in case" and making promises.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a HIPAA issue with having an audio recorder in use. There is a ton of hassles with having to store the recording and encryption of the recording. Most companies will not allow it and those that would I still would recommend not doing it. The violations of HIPAA are expensive and ignorance is no defense. The company would not pay your fine for you if you received one for having audio recordings of your calls.

OP
OP
T

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
trying to keep personal recordings isn't worth it. It's not as simple as keeping it on a hard drive "just in case" and making promises.

It's a HIPAA issue with having an audio recorder in use. The company would not pay your fine for you if you received one for having audio recordings of your calls.

I assumed this was the case. It is unfortunate that valuable tools go un-utilized to maintain privacy, but I don't disagree that it is wrong. I read that some ems systems include uploaded video data in the patient compartment, but disable audio as a means of preserving privacy.

It would be interesting to see the legality of carrying smart phones and tablets in the rigs as well, considering the use of operating systems and social networking apps that utilize microphones to monitor for input (Facebook, Google, Bing)and anonymous data gathering.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I assumed this was the case. It is unfortunate that valuable tools go un-utilized to maintain privacy, but I don't disagree that it is wrong. I read that some ems systems include uploaded video data in the patient compartment, but disable audio as a means of preserving privacy.

It would be interesting to see the legality of carrying smart phones and tablets in the rigs as well, considering the use of operating systems and social networking apps that utilize microphones to monitor for input (Facebook, Google, Bing)and anonymous data gathering.
If you don't gather the data it doesn't matter what is carried in the ambulance

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
In general, you should not need it. Even on the most complex call, I find a simple code summary (printout) of events can help me get the times close enough; I can generally remember which interventions I did and which drugs I pushed before/during/after a BP cycle or 12-lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Here's a decent overview on data breeches in health care. Worth looking at if your system is trying to roll their own data management system. I know several that use a simple fillable form on an iPad, with no encryption. It's not worth the headache.

Buying a secure data solution with robust encryption and remote wipe protects you from some of the issues, as does not allowing users to access the enterprise with their own devices, such as a provider completing a PCR on their personal iPad or allowing remote access of the database outside the domain.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/...oks/healthcare_data_breaches.authcheckdam.pdf

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For EMS use, I would be pretty reluctant to use a personal recorder while on calls. One reason is that unless you're very good at reciting times when you do an intervention, it won't help you accurately document event times. It also looks/sounds a little odd when you state a time and event to yourself so that can clue others into the fact that you're using a personal recorder. Once you do start using a recording device, you may then be required to safeguard the recorded data for up to 25 years (patient age 18 + 7 years) without it "leaking" anywhere due to HIPAA. You may also inadvertently violate HIPAA if you listen to the recording while writing reports while in the presence of people NOT involved in the care of that patient.

I use a 2" piece of tape on my thigh. When something happens, I just look at my watch, write the time on that piece of tape and perhaps a word to remind me of the event. Later, after I've transcribed everything into my official report, I then take the tape off and toss it into a shred box.

You really don't want to violate HIPAA and you don't want to have the appearance of violating HIPAA (even if it's covered by "incidental" release clause) because that brings a microscope onto you.

MRE

Forum Captain
In addition to the HIPAA issues that have already been discussed, you would also need to check the laws in your state relating to audio recording. It may be illegal to record someone without their knowledge, necessitating posting signs and informing people verbally.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
in my state: http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article250.htm ... In all honesty more harm then good. Secure storage... people in EMS that volunteer at municipal centers and hospitals now have to be screened for "super top secret data" that will end up on google 40 minutes later anyway... but i digress. Every state will have some kind of law against eavesdropping, only solution i can think of is have scribes ride on ambulances, but thats money, which nobody has.

OP
OP
T

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
in my state: http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article250.htm ... In all honesty more harm then good. Secure storage... people in EMS that volunteer at municipal centers and hospitals now have to be screened for "super top secret data" that will end up on google 40 minutes later anyway... but i digress. Every state will have some kind of law against eavesdropping, only solution i can think of is have scribes ride on ambulances, but thats money, which nobody has.
Heh. Forget scribes. Let's have bards instead. They work for tips. [emoji1]