Ambulance Ignition Kill "Thingie?"

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
On our newest ambulances we got this little switch that lets us take the keys out and keep the engine running. If you attempt to press the brake, or put it in gear, the engine cuts off.

Anyone else have one of these? It really seems like a no-brainer for an ambulance feature.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
news to me, maybe it was made for sorts like the lady who used the PA ?

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a security device.. Lil toggle on the dash, green & red light..

So you can leave the heat/ac, lights, inverter, etc. on while away from the rig; but keep some skanky scum from stealing it.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:

So you can leave the heat/ac, lights, inverter, etc. on while away from the rig; but keep some skanky scum from stealing it.

That's it exactly! I was thinking more along the lines of Keeping some 12 year-old from driving away, but I'm sure it does just as well dealing with the "skanky scum" :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The remote start system I have for my car has the same feature. It is convienent, and I think it is a good idea for ambulances especially.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
TTLWHKR said:

hell, we try to get our older ambluance stolen.
We aim for deer.
put slow moving vehicle signs on the back.
cross the battery cables.
Damn thing won't die.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I have worked on ambulances that have had them. I think they shold be standard equipment. The ones I have used were a little red button you pushed, turned the ignition to the "Off" position and remove the keys.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
They definitely come in handy on extremely cold and extremely hot days.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
we have the same thing on our ambulances. it's just a switch labelled "anti-theft" and we turn that switch on, and then take the keys out of the unit. it's a lifesaver on those cold and hot days. up here in canada, i have yet to see an ambulance without the anti-theft.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
rescuecpt said:
They definitely come in handy on extremely cold and extremely hot days.
I remember the "heat wave" Third Watch episode....and them having to get the FD to come put out their ambulance.... I found it funny the first time, in re-runs, when I was working for a private Co. with POS rigs.... I found it hilarious...

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Well now I know how to appropriately 'steal' an ambulance now should I ever get the urge to. ;) :lol:

But serious the average Joe citizen probably would not even think about the "switch" on the button, just kick it gear then *ker-put cough cough, spoot* then theyd get mad and the crew would catch em hitting the steering wheel and cursing the engine.......

Good idea though, comes standard on most high-end civilian vehicles, it should be standard on ALL emergency vehicles.

-CP

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I love to turn it on, into alarm, when my partner isn't paying attention. As soon as they step on the brake, it cuts off, the horn starts, and they look like an idiot... ;)