Ambulance Driver Certificate Very Confused please Help

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Hi everybody , so I just got hired for this one company of emt and my Ambulance Driving certificate just expired since it was my bday and i got it a year from now, My question is Do i have to retake the ambulance driving certificate test all over again? or do I just pay the fee to renew it? im very confused im in San Diego . Can somebody please help me out? I went to the Dmv and they wanted me to take it all over again but they seemed clueless at what they were telling me even the manager there didn't know what to say, I went to another Dmv here in san diego and they told me that I didnt have to test again, but im very confused because from where I just came they told me I did, so my question is , Do you have to retake it again one year from when you got the ambulance certificate again? thanks appreciate it. or did anybody go through this ?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You really can't wait more than seven minutes for an answer? Might as well leave the forum now.

If I were you I'd contact a DMV supervisor, or a local ambulance service to see what they have to say.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
OP, nobody can help you because the requirements for ambulance driver credentials differ in every locality.

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
You really can't wait more than seven minutes for an answer? Might as well leave the forum now.

If I were you I'd contact a DMV supervisor, or a local ambulance service to see what they have to say.

yeah Well sorry man its just im very desperate to find out I hope I didnt offend you

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah Well sorry man its just im very desperate to find out I hope I didnt offend you

It helps to post your location so people can try to give you answers.

However I would ask some locals at home as others have said.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why are you guys being rude to this desperate poster. Come on show some compassion. He may be out of a job. Why must you people always be attacking others?

Sorry I have no information on San Diego. Maybe someone will help.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
In all seriousness, your school should have guided you through some of the formalities of being an EMT in your county. Since CA is more unique than most states, you should contact your county EMS office and/or the DMV rather than taking the advice of someone on an anonymous forum who lives in NYC.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
In California, at least the last time I renewed:

If you renew it before it expires, you have to pay the cost and retake the test, but you do not have to undergo (and pay for) the LiveScan...

If you allow it to expire, you have to pay the cost for the test, take the test, and pay for another LiveScan...

That is why, even though I have not worked Ambo in several years... I DO NOT allow any certs to expire (even the ones I don't currently use)... maintaining them is a lot easier than getting them all over again from scratch...

THAT SAID... forget asking anyone in the DMV... as you have experienced, they tend to be clueless when it comes to the ADL (but what aspects of CA's Government isn't clueless, eh?)... but I would recommend checking with other local EMTs/Medic or Ambulance Services as to what is actually required...

Last edited by a moderator:

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
I know it's annoying when people who don't know the answer to your question come on and just create problems. This forum is an amazing tool if you can sift through all the crap :p

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Why are you guys being rude to this desperate poster. Come on show some compassion. He may be out of a job. Why must you people always be attacking others?

Sorry I have no information on San Diego. Maybe someone will help.

I was not rude, besides, if one is not able to find this information themselves it will be very difficult for them to work in medicine.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I was not rude, besides, if one is not able to find this information themselves it will be very difficult for them to work in medicine.

But we must be nice and do all we can to help all that ask. We must stop the attacks. We should not expect people to make this journey on their own.

Sasha

Forum Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have found a link that can help you answer virtually every question you have.

http://www.google.com/

Now Sashisha that is not helpful. Why are you so cruel? You should have found a link from his area and posted.

Why can't we all just get along?

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
I appreciate the honest answers from people i really do , and for the other so called "EMTS" I can see your not very professional at what you do and your attitude, Yes I am desperate because I have to be on the Ambulance and my Supervisor asked to get that certificate as soon as i can and I need to get it soon, I also dont expect direct criticism because I am confused on something like this, So im going to fail like the one poster said in medicine because I have gone to the Dmv and they haven't given me a reasonable answer? wow

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If only the states like California would see what a great model for EMS Florida is we would have not have such confusion. You only need two levels for certifications and one state EMS office to guide you through the process.

There wouldn't be a need for all of these questions:

How do I get a driver's license?
How do I get an Ambulance Driver's License?
How do I get my EMT card?
Do I need the NREMT?
Do I need to keep the NREMT updated?
How do I apply for a certification in the State?
How do I apply for a certification in my county?
What county am I in?
If I am in this county can I be in that county?
Do I need another Driver's License if I am in this county and that county?
If I'm in this county can I do what I do in that county?
If I am a criminal with a felony can I apply in that county?
What is an EMT-1?
What is an EMT-D?
Does Calfornia have EMT-Is?
Where can I work?
Do I have to work?
Are there any Paramedic schools in Calfornia?
Which school is the shortest?
Which school is the best?
Do I have to be a FF?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I appreciate the honest answers from people i really do , and for the other so called "EMTS" I can see your not very professional at what you do and your attitude, Yes I am desperate because I have to be on the Ambulance and my Supervisor asked to get that certificate as soon as i can and I need to get it soon, I also dont expect direct criticism because I am confused on something like this, So im going to fail like the one poster said in medicine because I have gone to the Dmv and they haven't given me a reasonable answer? wow

But you should expect criticism of your ability to write fluently and punctuate/capitalize correctly.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
**Quoted post removed**

A few tips:

If you are going to be responsible for the lives of patients, you need to be an independent thinker as well as have the ability to take some criticism.

Proper grammar is important for report writing and communication.

You should have been told some of the process in EMT school.

You also had the opportunity to ask your Supervisor for information.

You are asking questions which are pertinent to your employment on an anonymous forum. Go straight to the reliable sources in your county. Don't rely on hearsay from NYC or Florida when it affects your certification.

Last edited by a moderator: