Ambulance Design

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OH!!! Johnnie and Roy...

I guess I really should get that DVD set and watch it....Perhaps it will make me a better EMT....someday if I ever get the kohona's to take the test.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Oct 3 2005, 11:25 PM
UMMMM.....I guess I am really lost here.....Whats so special about Squad 51? Is it on the same level as Herbie the LoveBug only the emergency vehicle version? what TV show it is from?
:eek: Wha.... I... How.... umm.... faints.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Oct 4 2005, 02:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Oct 4 2005, 02:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess@Oct 3 2005, 09:25 PM
UMMMM.....I guess I am really lost here.....Whats so special about Squad 51? Is it on the same level as Herbie the LoveBug only the emergency vehicle version? what TV show it is from?
/Dives for cover :ph34r:

Seriously, Squad 51 was the station number in the TV show Emergency which gave a lot of publicity to EMS in its early years. As a matter of fact, the first couple of episodes dealt with the inception of modern EMS and how the doctors and nurses fought against EMS.

It also set the mindset in the American public that everytime they call an ambulance, they get a Johnny and Roy type paramedic. [/b][/quote]
They inspired hundreds, maybe even thousands of Americans to become EMT's and Paramedics in a time when nobody knew what an EMT was. They made it a household word, in an episode in which they were camping in the mountains. They talked to a sherriff who said "We could never afford to pay paramedics". Roy said, you can use what the call an "EMT" an Emergency Medical Technician, they can be volunteers. That was in 1973 when the NHTSA just created the EMT. If you ask people who got into EMS in the 70's why they did, most will say "Johnny & Roy".

They invented TV Resuscitation and Hollywood Hope. Hollywood Hope is a term we use to describe false hope, i.e. nobody ever dies.

They should have their faces carved into a mountain like the presidents... Possibly the two greatest characters of all time!

Great... Now I have an adrenaline rush.

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
All I have is a picture of the back of one of the rigs at work.

Photo_01.jpg

And our primary rig on volunteer:

323outside.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 4 2005, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 4 2005, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 4 2005, 02:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess
@Oct 3 2005, 09:25 PM
UMMMM.....I guess I am really lost here.....Whats so special about Squad 51?  Is it on the same level as Herbie the LoveBug only the emergency vehicle version? what TV show it is from?

Seriously, Squad 51 was the station number in the TV show Emergency which gave a lot of publicity to EMS in its early years. As a matter of fact, the first couple of episodes dealt with the inception of modern EMS and how the doctors and nurses fought against EMS.

It also set the mindset in the American public that everytime they call an ambulance, they get a Johnny and Roy type paramedic.
They inspired hundreds, maybe even thousands of Americans to become EMT's and Paramedics in a time when nobody knew what an EMT was. They made it a household word, in an episode in which they were camping in the mountains. They talked to a sherriff who said "We could never afford to pay paramedics". Roy said, you can use what the call an "EMT" an Emergency Medical Technician, they can be volunteers. That was in 1973 when the NHTSA just created the EMT. If you ask people who got into EMS in the 70's why they did, most will say "Johnny & Roy".

They invented TV Resuscitation and Hollywood Hope. Hollywood Hope is a term we use to describe false hope, i.e. nobody ever dies.

They should have their faces carved into a mountain like the presidents... Possibly the two greatest characters of all time!

Great... Now I have an adrenaline rush. [/b][/quote]
Well said, Alex.

Just to correct Scott.... It was Station 51, which ran Engine 51 and Squad 51.

Added trivia: The station's FCC callsign was "KMG 365." Use that callsign to end a conversation with Dispatch... espicially over a radio (so long as you communication policy isn't too strict), and most everyone will laugh, or at least roll their eyes :lol: :rolleyes: .

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
More Emergency! trivia.

- Watch the opening credits, in the scene where the engine and squad were pulling out of the station. The VW Bug in the parking lot was the POV of the one and only Jim Page, one of the fathers of the paramedic system and founder of JEMS.

- "Station 51" is actually Station 127 which is across the street from the BP Refinery in Carson. To this day, it has never actually had a paramedic squad assigned to it.

- The original Engine 51 (the Crown Firecoach) was actually LACoFD Engine 60, which was stationed on the Universal Studios property. The producers used it (with magnetic numbers) to portray Engine 51 until Ward LaFrance (which was beginning to supply many of LACoFD's engines) donated a County-spec rig for the show as a PR move.

- Station 60 was renumbered as Station 51 a few years ago in honor of the show (there never was a real Station 51 prior to that). They are contractually obligated to not leave the Universal Studios property, and are totally surrounded by LAFD's jurisdiction. There's an engine and squad stationed there.

- The WLF Engine 51 was used in several movies and TV shows after Emergency! ended, most notably in The China Syndrome.

- After ending its film career, the WLF was sent to Yosemite National Park. Universal at the time had a concessions management division which had the concession service for Yosemite. Its still in service as Engine 7, and will be donated to the LACoFD museum when its retired.

- The actor who portrayed Mike Stoker (the engineer)...was actually LAFD FF Mike Stoker. He retired from the department as a Captain well after the show was over.

- Julie London (who played Nurse Dixie McCall) and Bobby Troup (who portrayed Dr. Joe Early) were married. Julie had previously been married to Jack Webb, the series' executive producer (also of Dragnet and Adam 12 fame).

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Oct 4 2005, 07:55 PM
I know that....I just wanted to see how many whacker responses I'd get with that comment. :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 4 2005, 09:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 4 2005, 09:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 4 2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 4 2005, 02:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess
@Oct 3 2005, 09:25 PM
UMMMM.....I guess I am really lost here.....Whats so special about Squad 51?  Is it on the same level as Herbie the LoveBug only the emergency vehicle version? what TV show it is from?

It also set the mindset in the American public that everytime they call an ambulance, they get a Johnny and Roy type paramedic.

Great... Now I have an adrenaline rush.
Well said, Alex.

Added trivia: The station's FCC callsign was "KMG 365." Use that callsign to end a conversation with Dispatch... espicially over a radio (so long as you communication policy isn't too strict), and most everyone will laugh, or at least roll their eyes :lol: :rolleyes: .

Jon [/b][/quote]
According to the 1977 Police Call FCC Radio freq. Book KMG 365 was on Frequency 154.430

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Oct 4 2005, 11:55 PM
More Emergency! trivia.

- Watch the opening credits, in the scene where the engine and squad were pulling out of the station. The VW Bug in the parking lot was the POV of the one and only Jim Page, one of the fathers of the paramedic system and founder of JEMS.

- "Station 51" is actually Station 127 which is across the street from the BP Refinery in Carson. To this day, it has never actually had a paramedic squad assigned to it.

- The original Engine 51 (the Crown Firecoach) was actually LACoFD Engine 60, which was stationed on the Universal Studios property. The producers used it (with magnetic numbers) to portray Engine 51 until Ward LaFrance (which was beginning to supply many of LACoFD's engines) donated a County-spec rig for the show as a PR move.

- Station 60 was renumbered as Station 51 a few years ago in honor of the show (there never was a real Station 51 prior to that). They are contractually obligated to not leave the Universal Studios property, and are totally surrounded by LAFD's jurisdiction. There's an engine and squad stationed there.

- The WLF Engine 51 was used in several movies and TV shows after Emergency! ended, most notably in The China Syndrome.

- After ending its film career, the WLF was sent to Yosemite National Park. Universal at the time had a concessions management division which had the concession service for Yosemite. Its still in service as Engine 7, and will be donated to the LACoFD museum when its retired.

- The actor who portrayed Mike Stoker (the engineer)...was actually LAFD FF Mike Stoker. He retired from the department as a Captain well after the show was over.

- Julie London (who played Nurse Dixie McCall) and Bobby Troup (who portrayed Dr. Joe Early) were married. Julie had previously been married to Jack Webb, the series' executive producer (also of Dragnet and Adam 12 fame).
Wow...

Someone who is MORE of a whacker than me.

I didn't know it was Jim Page's car!

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
My humble South African input: :ph34r:

netcare_911.jpg

rugby1.jpg

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Vodacom?

Wait, you call 911 in South Africa and AT&T shows up? :p

I thought that Vodacom was a GSM provider down there. ;)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
It looks like the local fire truck. 1000.00 a year for a 1' x 6" Pepsi sticker on the truck.

Advertising space.......... It's a new world, firemen don't peddle for money, they sell ad spots on the fire truck. :rolleyes:

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, Netcare and ER24 has network partners, helps them with coms and stuff. Vodacom and CellC.

Netcare also has alliegences with ADT Security etc. Makes Netcare very powerfull.

We don't have advertising on provincial vehicles though, so Fire Trucks and state ambus are clean.

planedude86

Forum Ride Along
LaCoFD Station 127 is cool. I believe they have some Emergency! memorabilia in the station.

And it's funny that in Carson, the medic squad is at Station 36, a mere few blocks away. They could have put it at 127 and renamed the station to appease the fans.

Having the squad at 36 puts my house within 2-3 minutes of ALS...having it at 127 won't change response times that much, would it?

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
What I rode in during my EMT-student days. I feel I had it made considering I was riding with an ALS service that is well respected. B)

ambu04.jpg

-CP