Ambulance chasis and brands

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lol. Yep.

Doesn't help the Chevy IFS is under sprung and bottoms out too easily on normal roads, off road would be even worse.

Sorry I just really don't like GMs :)

You should ride in our new units, you'll like them even less. Hit a bump on the freeway and you're bouncing like your riding in an El Camino with hydraulics for the next quarter mile. The first one is the worst because they put taller springs up front so we could hop curbs but didn't change the shocks :wacko:

Pretty sure out mechanics hate me for how hard I am on units. Well, I'm nice to mine. Spares are a different story :p

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You should ride in our new units, you'll like them even less. Hit a bump on the freeway and you're bouncing like your riding in an El Camino with hydraulics for the next quarter mile. The first one is the worst because they put taller springs up front so we could hop curbs but didn't change the shocks :wacko:

Pretty sure out mechanics hate me for how hard I am on units. Well, I'm nice to mine. Spares are a different story :p

That would annoy me along with being unsafe. We've got a couple type 2 Chevy vans and the fronts ride too soft too. It's a GM thing to set the suspensions up soft. Yeah they ride smooth but handling suffers.

The only exception is my unit that is a type 1 Chevy. It rides like a brick and is the only one we have like that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That would annoy me along with being unsafe. We've got a couple type 2 Chevy vans and the fronts ride too soft too. It's a GM thing to set the suspensions up soft. Yeah they ride smooth but handling suffers.

The only exception is my unit that is a type 1 Chevy. It rides like a brick and is the only one we have like that.

It's pretty frustrating. Hence why I like my 6.0 E450 I'm assigned to. Hauls the mail, rides nice, handles well and in the end I get to call her mine :)

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
It's pretty frustrating. Hence why I like my 6.0 E450 I'm assigned to. Hauls the mail, rides nice, handles well and in the end I get to call her mine :)

Every E450 I've used over the years I've liked. Bigger box meant more seat travel in the front. The ride and handling was better than the 350s. They all had 7.3s so power was just ok. We had one as a backup CCT unit and we fought hard to get it as our permanent unit but the bosses said no.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry if its blurry (I got it from across the street with my old *** 3GS), but I caught a pic of the elusive Sprinter mod. Every other Sprinter I've seen has been the van, I've only ever seen one box mod before. IMO opinion it looks a heck of a lot better than the vans lol (they're just so tall, narrow and long they just don't look quite right to me :/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369888889.512328.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Every E450 I've used over the years I've liked. Bigger box meant more seat travel in the front. The ride and handling was better than the 350s. They all had 7.3s so power was just ok. We had one as a backup CCT unit and we fought hard to get it as our permanent unit but the bosses said no.

Agreed. We have a few that have really small cabs and then others that you can get nearly horizontal in. Luckily my trusty Medic 38 is the latter ;)

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed. We have a few that have really small cabs and then others that you can get nearly horizontal in. Luckily my trusty Medic 38 is the latter ;)

Yeah thats how our 2 spares are. I loved being in those trucks.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry if its blurry (I got it from across the street with my old *** 3GS), but I caught a pic of the elusive Sprinter mod. Every other Sprinter I've seen has been the van, I've only ever seen one box mod before. IMO opinion it looks a heck of a lot better than the vans lol (they're just so tall, narrow and long they just don't look quite right to me :/

View attachment 1520

We have a couple floating around another state. IIRC the reason we didnt go beyond testing a few was that the limited payload limit of the chassis requires a smaller module. The limitations of the smaller module meant the van version had better storage and move around space. Having a module negated most of the improved fuel economy. In the end the our folks found the van version more functional. Once the few Sprinter type 3s we have hit mileage theyll be pulled and probably replaced with van versions or type 1 Frazer gennie trucks.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a couple floating around another state. IIRC the reason we didnt go beyond testing a few was that the limited payload limit of the chassis requires a smaller module. The limitations of the smaller module meant the van version had better storage and move around space. Having a module negated most of the improved fuel economy. In the end the our folks found the van version more functional. Once the few Sprinter type 3s we have hit mileage theyll be pulled and probably replaced with van versions or type 1 Frazer gennie trucks.

I guess that just goes to show that looks aren't everything lol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yeah thats how our 2 spares are. I loved being in those trucks.

Our bid changes Saturday and there's going to be a mutiny if they took my unit away from me.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess that just goes to show that looks aren't everything lol

Yep :)

I kinda wanted the Sprinter boxes to work out just to have a chance at working in one. The cabs are much more comfortable than a truck cab.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Our bid changes Saturday and there's going to be a mutiny if they took my unit away from me.

I love having a permanently assigned unit and shift. Only way I lose my shift is to have a change request on file and move to a different one of my choosing or quit.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love having a permanently assigned unit and shift. Only way I lose my shift is to have a change request on file and move to a different one of my choosing or quit.

Our bid changes every 4 months. Generally you keep your unit, before I didn't because I was on the bottom of the seniority list but now I'm not so I'm thinking ill get to keep my unit since I said I wanted it back and took good care of it.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
We just recently jinked our 5 year old ford diesel and for a Chevy gas with a life line box.
I have nothing but good things to say about lifeline. All the add oms they gave us for free are amazing. However, my only complaint with the Chevy is having no tenths of a mile. It makes it a pain if someone neglects the set the trip odometer back after a call. And having exact odometer readings is impossible. Patient loaded miles is most important so we always use the trip odometer. .
The ac is a problem, we thought there was a problem with it. We only have 20k miles on it and figured it was having a problem

The ford was a lemon.

Our oldest is a Chevy I believe and we call it old reliable. However, we will be purchasing another and putting it back as an extra, we won't give it up

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Full time place has two '01 F350s with Wheeled Coach boxes. Somehow the one at my station only has 160k on it, they were bought used from a very slow agency apparently. They have a significant lean to the left where all the cabinets are, management does not care enough to get it sprung properly. We also have a backup E350 with a teeny tiny McCoy Miller box on it. It's got single rear wheels and it drives and rides like crap.

Part time place has two 08-09' F450s with Lifeline boxes and air suspensions. Bouncy/cushy ride but handles pretty well all things consider and are more comfortable in back. We also have three 03' F350s with Wheeled Coach boxes. Two of them have been repowered with refurbished interiors and they run great. The third one is the truck I am currently in and it has not been refurbished or repowered, and it could certainly use it. All are properly sprung however so they drive pretty well for what they are. We also have the backup to the backups, a '97 4x4 converted Type II that I am afraid to drive, very top heavy looking.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Full time employer has excellance boxes that remounted on E or F350 chassis the modulars none older than 07. Has some type II spares with alot of miles on them. But otherwise good trucks

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
My service has Excellance remounts on Chevy E4500s, none older than 07-08. They all get remounted by the time they get to 300,000 miles.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
are you all ready for your mind to be blown?

2013 is the last year of the E-series.

I would like to introduce all the AMR employees to their new ambulance. in 2014 ford is releasing the full size transit as the replacement for the E-Series.

quick spec-

6'6" interior height
Sliding side doors
three engine options
-3.7 liter naturally aspirated V6
-3.5 Liter twin turbo
-3.2 Liter Diesel V6
all have a 6 speed gearbox

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

View attachment 1520

We have one of those here at my evil empire operation. I'm not a fan of it. Single rear axles so it still feels very top heavyweight. Not bad to work in though.