Ambulance cert. info please!

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I am working on getting my Ambulance cert. in CA. I picked up the CHP book, I was wondering if there was any additional information I would need for this exam/cert.?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Nope. All of the questions on the CHP Ambulance Driver Certification comes from that book. Be warned, though, that anything in the book, including the parts written in legalese, are fair game for the test.

OP
OP
VFFforpeople

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Nope. All of the questions on the CHP Ambulance Driver Certification comes from that book. Be warned, though, that anything in the book, including the parts written in legalese, are fair game for the test.

lol, should have taken the BAR exam before going into EMS lol!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup, read it, repeatedly..... Then, read it again. Just don't read it right before you test.

OP
OP
VFFforpeople

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
lol,ya I just got it today so, I figure a good week or two studying. Then make an apt for it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
lol,ya I just got it today so, I figure a good week or two studying. Then make an apt for it.

It's pointless making an apointment!

You can only miss 4 questions before you fail. Read over the codes in the back too, it's boring as hell, but they do have a few questions from it. BRING THE BOOK WITH YOU when you go to take the test and ALSO (which means on top of normal studying) read it for the 45 minutes or so before you take the test. Have you already got your livescan, and DMV physical done? If not you need to get both of those done before you go and take your test. MAKE SURE - all boxes are checked in, and all dates are dated and all signatures are filled in, or the DMV WILL (they sent me back because the dr forgot to put an expiration on the packet, and only on my green card) SEND YOU BACK.

If you do not pass the test the first time, don't act like you can't do it. They give you your test back and the right answers. STUDY THAT TEST for about 15 minutes and *memorize* the questions you missed and what the right answers are, and try to reason why the answers are correct so you do not forget them when you take the test again... If you do fail the second time. Give up for the day, go home and study some more, and take your last attempt in a day or two. If you fail the third time, you will just need to pay another 25 dollars.

OP
OP
VFFforpeople

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Ya, I was going to go in get live scan and form from DMV for the Dr. Ya, I hate penal codes and all that lol!! It doesnt seem hard just mostly common sense items. Just the wording will be tricky. Thank you for your input, I will start on live scan and Dr. stuff.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
It's pointless making an apointment!

You can only miss 4 questions before you fail. Read over the codes in the back too, it's boring as hell, but they do have a few questions from it. BRING THE BOOK WITH YOU when you go to take the test and ALSO (which means on top of normal studying) read it for the 45 minutes or so before you take the test. Have you already got your livescan, and DMV physical done? If not you need to get both of those done before you go and take your test. MAKE SURE - all boxes are checked in, and all dates are dated and all signatures are filled in, or the DMV WILL (they sent me back because the dr forgot to put an expiration on the packet, and only on my green card) SEND YOU BACK.

If you do not pass the test the first time, don't act like you can't do it. They give you your test back and the right answers. STUDY THAT TEST for about 15 minutes and *memorize* the questions you missed and what the right answers are, and try to reason why the answers are correct so you do not forget them when you take the test again... If you do fail the second time. Give up for the day, go home and study some more, and take your last attempt in a day or two. If you fail the third time, you will just need to pay another 25 dollars.

Follow this advice 100%. Out of all the EMT's and Paramedics I've worked with I know only 1 to ever pass on the first try. Read the book, take the test, fail, review teh test, go back to the counter immediately and take it again. 90% of the people I know passed it the second time. If you fail it that time, do it again. They give you three chances in a row for the $ you pay. BY FAR THE STUPIDEST TESTING IN ALL OF EMS!!!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Out of all the EMT's and Paramedics I've worked with I know only 1 to ever pass on the first try.

Hmmmm, I passed it first time, with 0 wrong.... Does that make me a nerd?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I know right, especially in the HAM thread!!!

RATS, outed again!!!! Ok, that's it, I'm no longer a closet nerd.

/me is seriously waiting for someone who actually knows her to jump in.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Probably, or it could just mean that you studied WAY TOO MUCH for a test that is really retarded. But hell, at least we now know how high (minimum) a rear warning lamp needs to be on a type 2 ambulance... comes in handly on a code. :p

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
*grabs the ice pack and throws it at sapphy*

Patrol42

Forum Ride Along
Is there any website that has a list of sample questions. Knowing the DMV, they will ask some weird stuff.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there any website that has a list of sample questions. Knowing the DMV, they will ask some weird stuff.

Not that I know of. But seriously, if you just read the manual first and review the 1st test that your are likely to fail, you shouldn't have a problem. Yes, there will be some wierd questions that have little bearing on your EMS job. This is the stupidest testing you will ever have in EMS!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

Yes, there is. Try using EVOC in your google string.....

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

If it makes you feel any better about being a nerd, I just realized that I've been on these forums for 6 days and have posted over 100 times. I am a nerd that has no life!