Ambulance blocked in dispute over driveway...patient dies

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I used to work I believe it was a Class A Misdemeanor to interfere with an ambulance/ambulance personnel or to fail to obey their instructions when you are interfering with a emergency scene.

As it should be.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Great idea for those that live/work in urban areas but not so great for rural areas.

Some of our driveways around here are a 1/4 to 1/2 mile long...I'm not parking out in the street just so I can walk that far with a patient on a stretcher across sand and gravel.

Laziness may be a factor where you are, but it is by no means the same everywhere.

yeah i've never worked in a rural area and didn't even think about the long driveway issue.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
thats not patient privacy. if it was' we,d transport all patients with sheets over their head, incase someone caught a glance as you were loading.
That's absolutely a pt privacy issue. It's not common, least where I work, but it's happened to me before that the pt has asked to be covered with a sheet before going outside. Much more likely if the pt is a public figure. We don't release personal info to the public, this isn't that much different. Granted, it's only going to happen if the pt requests it, but parking the ambulance close to the house if possible in a way that will aid egress and loading is a good habit to have.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Throw her in jail and let her rot. If at any point she has a medical emergency, make her wait the same amount of time this gentleman had to wait before she gets any help. Make HER see what it feels like. Leave in cell without food or light until medical emergency occurs. If she survives, throw her back in jail as soon as she's stabilized. Repeat as necessary.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Throw her in jail and let her rot. If at any point she has a medical emergency, make her wait the same amount of time this gentleman had to wait before she gets any help. Make HER see what it feels like. Leave in cell without food or light until medical emergency occurs. If she survives, throw her back in jail as soon as she's stabilized. Repeat as necessary.

dude. get psychological help. she deserves a fine. perhaps a short stay in jail. it was clearly stated in the article that she did not cause his death. sure what she did was heartless but goodness people.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
This is how that happened.

actually they weren't parked in her part of the driveway, as me and sasha have already established. if you go look at the picture in the article, the driveway splits and they were parked in their patients driveway. she must of just pulled in and stopped immediately,blocking the split, instead of pulling forward into her actual driveway.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
actually they weren't parked in her part of the driveway, as me and sasha have already established. if you go look at the picture in the article, the driveway splits and they were parked in their patients driveway. she must of just pulled in and stopped immediately,blocking the split, instead of pulling forward into her actual driveway.

We don't know for sure that is how it happened, because nobody has seen photos of where the vehicles were actually parked. It's possible it happened that way, but without proof it is just conjecture.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
We don't know for sure that is how it happened, because nobody has seen photos of where the vehicles were actually parked. It's possible it happened that way, but without proof it is just conjecture.

i agree, i'm just going off what the article says, which we all know can be completely false.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
LOL...and some people say there is no place for fire in EMS. Trees in the way? No problem, let me get the chainsaw. Vehicle blocking you in? No problem, big ol' front bumper will take care of that. Violent/agitated bystanders? No worries...150 psi straight stream from a deck gun works wonders. :p
yep, that also works well for LEO in a riot too.