Ambulance blocked in dispute over driveway...patient dies

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
10 minutes? Did she go take a shower before moving the car? Either way manslaughter seems like a more fitting charge if the article is accurate.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wow.... just... wow.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I am also at a loss for words.

Sasha

Forum Chief
10 minutes? Did she go take a shower before moving the car? Either way manslaughter seems like a more fitting charge if the article is accurate.

You would have to prove that the man would not have died had he gotten to the hospital 10 minutes earlier.

In the article, she states she did not know the ambulance was an emergency vehicle. And I've got to wonder why the ambulance was parked infront of her house, and not their patient's house.

8jimi8

CFRN
i'm not quite understanding what medicine they couldn't get; however this is utterly appalling.

maybe they should have called for police to come and arrest her on the scene.

I believe she's now trying to claim she didn't know it was a real ambulance.

DavethetrainWreck

Forum Probie
Wow! what a B***H!? Lock her up and throw away the key. I'm pushing for a life sentence without parole for this one. Let her sit in a cell and think about what she did until she croaks. And let that sentence be an example to any other dirtbag who thinks about pulling the same stunt.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wow! what a B***H!? Lock her up and throw away the key. I'm pushing for a life sentence without parole for this one. Let her sit in a cell and think about what she did until she croaks. And let that sentence be an example to any other dirtbag who thinks about pulling the same stunt.

Uh... a little harsh.

The women parked on HER property, you can hardly fault her for that.

She is told to move, but said she did not recognize the vehicle as an emergency vehicle.

I'd be more than peeved if I parked in MY parking spot and told to move without an explanation to why.

And do you have evidence that she caused this man's death?

8jimi8

CFRN
the paramedic repeatedly told her that they needed to get the man to the hospital emergently. Her neighbor witnessed her sarcasticly yelling at the paramedic "did anyone die?!" and its not like she said it only once.

i'm all for benefit of the doubt, but there were witnesses. Not to mention the emergency workers who experienced her tirade.

8jimi8

CFRN
and would you ever park BEHIND an ambulance?

would you ever NOT move your car when an a paramedic asked you to?

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Angry or not, her actions are unexcused. I say slap some cuffs on her and nail her with a charge of manslaughter.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Angry or not, her actions are unexcused. I say slap some cuffs on her and nail her with a charge of manslaughter.

She didn't kill anyone. Even the prosecuting lawyer says that.

She added: 'There was no suggestion the defendant's action were in anyway a contributory factor in Mr Burdett's death.'

medic417

The Truth Provider
This is why ambulances need solid bumpers front and back. Ask them to move once, then push them out of the way.

reaper

Working Bum
Exactly, I ask twice nicely, then take care of it myself.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
And I've got to wonder why the ambulance was parked infront of her house, and not their patient's house.

this was taken from the quote right under the picture in the article.
Gillian Birdsall's house on the left. The ambulance was parked in the drive to the Burdett's house on the right when she blocked it in

Sasha

Forum Chief
this was taken from the quote right under the picture in the article.

Whoops. It was late, and the names are similar.

I'm interested to know exactly how that worked then. The driveways are long enough that if she pulled up in her driveway then it shouldn't have blocked them. Unless they were parked in such a way that it prevented her from getting into her own drive way.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Whoops. It was late, and the names are similar.

I'm interested to know exactly how that worked then. The driveways are long enough that if she pulled up in her driveway then it shouldn't have blocked them. Unless they were parked in such a way that it prevented her from getting into her own drive way.

yeah i wonder that too. they could have prevented her from getting in her drive way. it seems its a he said, she said type of situation. either way, once she was informed that she needed to move, she should have.

Sasha

Forum Chief
yeah i wonder that too. they could have prevented her from getting in her drive way. it seems its a he said, she said type of situation. either way, once she was informed that she needed to move, she should have.

The whole situation could have been avoided by them parking in the street.

The brief time I worked 911, we parked in the street. A little walking never hurt and no one's blocked in. Ten minutes over the 1 minute to walk down the driveway.

Last edited by a moderator:

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Gotta love 'I thought it was one of those ambulances they use to pick people up but did not think it was a real ambulance.'

Do they pick people up in fake ambulances?

They needed to make an example of this lady and the fine was no where near enough.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Uh... a little harsh.

The women parked on HER property, you can hardly fault her for that.

She is told to move, but said she did not recognize the vehicle as an emergency vehicle.

I'd be more than peeved if I parked in MY parking spot and told to move without an explanation to why.

And do you have evidence that she caused this man's death?

If we take the article at its word, the woman is giving the excuse that she did not recognize it as an emergency vehicle. It does not mean she didn't really recognize it and chose not to move.