Ambulance Accidents 2009

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
EMS network maintains an ambulance crash log. If you have never seen it, you should take a few moments to scroll through the pages to see how many injuries and deaths occur due to ambulance accidents. I will try to keep some running totals for 2009 on this thread, it should be interesting to see what the totals will be for 2009.

Be safe out there !

Here are the statistics from 1/1/09 to 1/10/09:

Ambulance Crashes: 12

EMS Personnel Injured: 20

Ems Personnel Killed: 0

Patient Injured: 0

Patient Killed: 0

Other Vehicle Injured: 7

Other Vehicle Killed: 1

http://www.emsnetwork.org/cgi-bin/a...rticleLists/defaultambo.html&categoryNums=13& includeSubcats=1

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well so far so good I'm not on that list. Guess I should drive faster and turn siren up louder.

motownems

Forum Probie
Defiantly a sobering topic but it is one we need to be aware of. One question though medic1980, what do you mean by "other vehicle injured/killed"? Everyone else stay safe out there.

OP
OP
C

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
That means the vehicle that struck the ambulance or was struck by the ambulance.

If you think thats sobering here are the numbers from 11/08 & 12/08:

December Numbers Updated:

Ambulance crashes: 26
Ambulance personnel injured: 27
Ambulance pers. deaths: 0
Patient Injuries: 7
Patient Deaths: 1
Other vehicle injured: 11
Other vehicle deaths: 5

NOVEMBER STATISTICS:

Ambulance crashes: 21
Ambulance personnel injured: 21
Ambulance pers. deaths: 0
Patient Injuries: 5
Patient Deaths: 0
Other vehicle injured: 25
Other vehicle deaths: 1

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
well i almost wrecked my ambulance a couple weeks ago in a the bad ice storm that hit our area. it was pretty scary, we were leaving our station on a call, heading up the hill by our station got half way up the hill and started sliding backwards. i had the choice of putting it in the ditch or hitting the bridge at the bottom of it, and going off the bridge. luckly i was able to catch the ditch line and stop us from sliding and we were able to cont. on to the call going a different route.

a week later i found out that each of the surrounding services each wrecked atleast one of there ambulance's due to that ice storm, thankfully no injuries.

OP
OP
C

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
That is the scariest thing in the world, i had the same experience. Ice all over the secondary roads, the main roads were fairly clear. We pulled into a subdivision off of a busy road to turn around. It was up a hill, half way up, we started sliding back down the hill towards 4 lanes of traffic. Like you, we were lucky enough to be able to steer it into a yard.