Ambo Companies to Avoid in Socal

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
hey guys, i know ive been posting alot of post regarding jobs, i currently am actively applying. i wanna know of some companies to avoid in Southern CA/Orange County

Ive heard horror stories about Lifeline and Priority one.
are there any other companies i should avoid?

im considering applying to the following companies:
Shoreline
Americare
CRA (county Rescue Ambulance)
Medlife
PRN
medcoast
Ambuserve
schafer
Can anyone give me some insight on these companies

Ive already applied to the major companies; Lynch, Doctors, Care and Pacific.
I have an interview with Pacific on Monday

any idea how long i should wait for a company to contact me?

thanks for all your help guys

terrible one

Always wandering
Do you want to do transfers or 911?
If only 911 AMR, Schaefer, Westmed, and Care run 911 in LA county.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Do you want to do transfers or 911?
If only 911 AMR, Schaefer, Westmed, and Care run 911 in LA county.

Id prefer 911, how bout OC? isnt it Emergency, Americare, Doctors and Care?

i have an interview with Gerber on friday, and Pacific on Monday

JPINFV

Gadfly
Looking at Americare's website, according to one page (Emergency/911 page) it looks like their only primary 911 in Compton and Downey with numerous backup contracts, which only one is in OC. According to a separate page (OC services page), it looks like they are primary in a lot of the more rural areas of OC. Medix is also a 911 company in OC, however it's highly unlikely that they're hiring and the rumor is that they run a very good chance of losing their last 911 contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Looking at Americare's website, it looks like their only primary 911 in Compton and Downey with numerous backup contracts, which only one is in OC. Medix is also a 911 company in OC, however it's highly unlikely that they're hiring and the rumor is that they run a very good chance of losing their last 911 contract.

yeah i heard about that

but anyways, unless i hear back from the other companies, ill probably end up with eaither Gerber or Pacific

JPINFV

Gadfly
No primary 911 contracts that I know of. When I worked at Lynch we had a handful of backup contracts, of which the only one where we had any serious call volume from was Costa Mesa back when it was run by Shaffer. However, you will probably end up averaging at least one emergency call from a nursing home a shift at Lynch. Severity of those calls can vary drastically.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
For the love of God stay away from the following:

*Lifeline
*Priority One
*Aegis
*Lynch
*Nova

I wouldn't even set foot in these place's offices, for all you know they're under some sort of government surveillance...there are probably others to steer clear of too.

In LA County there are 5 primary 911 companies to check out: AMR, Cole-Schaefer, McCormick, Care, and Gerber. I would start with those.

As far as IFT companies that I've heard somewhat decent things about in LA would be Bowers, PRN, and AmeriCare.

In OC you have Care & Medix that have most of the 911 contracts and are the only 2 OC companies I know much about. I used to work for Care in both LA and OC and had an overall positive experience there.

Riverside County is sort of close to OC, and AMR runs the 911 first-in ALS out there. There is also a company called Mission Ambulance which does IFT's and appears to be legitimate.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In OC you have Care & Medix that have most of the 911 contracts and are the only 2 OC companies I know much about.

Your information about Medix is out of date. Doctors Ambulance took over all of their South County 911 contracts except for Mission Viejo.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Your information about Medix is out of date. Doctors Ambulance took over all of their South County 911 contracts except for Mission Viejo.
Well, shows you how long I've been out of OC. When did this happen?

JPINFV said:
Waiting on the promised community reforms is like waiting for Godot.
I see what you did there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, shows you how long I've been out of OC. When did this happen?

The contract changes occurred late last year following a messy lawsuit from Medix over how the request for proposals were handled. Long story short, Medix wanted to treat their continuous contract cities as one area instead of dedicating units on a city by city basis (you know, like how OCFA positions units...), OCFA said "no," Medix sued, and OCFA picked up their toys and went elsewhere.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Never Bite(or Sue) the hand that feeds you..

I had the plesure of doing a few Ride Alongs with Medix back in December, the guys are great, just the management is poor.
i heard alot of people jumped ship from the company to Care and Doctors..

but anyways thanks for the tips guys

anyone have experince with eaither Gerber or Pacific?

i have an interview for Gerber on Friday and Pacific on Monday
Apparently Gerber is starting an IFT division in the OC so they need people

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Pacific is a good company. They have good equipment and good people working for them. Management seems to run things pretty well. They do a lot of IFT work but rumor has it that they now have some kind of 911 contract with Newport Beach and/or Huntington Beach.

If hired by them, try to work one of the night cars. Nights get into more interesting stuff than the day cars.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Would those be backup contracts for HB and Newport? Both of those cities provide their own transport instead of contracting out transport to private companies.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Thanks for the tips!!
if they aquire those contracts that would be fantastic!!!

But dosnt HB have their own Fire-Medic Ambulances? i keep on seeing them around when im down there

yeah i really would love to work for Pacific since i live right across the street from their main station

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Would those be backup contracts for HB and Newport? Both of those cities provide their own transport instead of contracting out transport to private companies.

yeah thats what i thought too, im guessing they would be backup contracts

Santa Ana has their own transports too: probably one of the nicest ambo rigs, they all look like they just rolled off the assembly line

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's the ironic thing about OC fire departments. Companies in the lower class citieis (HB and Santa Ana) have been riding in nice, new medium duty ambulances for a long time while Newport has been using Wheeled Coach type 3s.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain

Some have said it is back up. Others have said it's first in. Units ran back to back 911 calls on Christmas eve. Then spent all night posted at Triangle Square.

Another crew ran a 911 call in HB last week and the medic just jumped aboard their rig.

No one has gotten a straight answer on what Pacific is doing down their.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Another crew ran a 911 call in HB last week and the medic just jumped aboard their rig.

That's how 911 primary, 911 backup, or IFT intercepts work when a private company is involved. Regardless of the company, if an IFT unit requests a paramedic response, the paramedics are supposed to transport on the requesting crew's ambulance.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Some have said it is back up. Others have said it's first in. Units ran back to back 911 calls on Christmas eve. Then spent all night posted at Triangle Square.

No one has gotten a straight answer on what Pacific is doing down their.

well if pacific starts running 911 calls, then thats all the more reason id LOVE to work for them

i hope i get them another reason is i live literally 1 block away from the station, i can walk there if i wanted to