Am I in the wrong field?

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
I see you trying to take the high road and all that. I do not agree with religions that challenge people to look or dress a certain way. That's my feelings on that. Yes I know he didn't come on to this forum to explain himself or what ever, but what did he expect to happen. This is the internetz, and people are free to ask what ever questions they want. I asked the questions because it honestly does not make sense to me. Why not grow a mustache and lose the beard? Why is one form of facial hair better or worse than another? Would I hire him? No I wouldn't, but not because of his religion, but because if I changed policy for one person I would have to change it for another and another and another. Policy is in place for a reason and if you can't comply then YES you are in the wrong profession, and you should make your life decisions appropriate to your values.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Probably because he is wise enough to "see" the tone of the first post challenging him and has refrained from answering any further to avoid the obvious path this thread will take.

He came with a very specific question, he did not come to explain his beliefs, defend them, persuade, convince, convert or anything else and he should not have to.

He got the answers to his specific question, everything else in this thread is irrelevant.

If you truly want to know the answers, Google is at your fingertips and libraries are in your town.

Exactly. If my faith were attacked like his was I would not respond either as this is not the place to discuss religion. I applaud him on choosing to be the more professional person.

As to a beard. It is service dependant. Some hire no matter how a person appears as we have even seen based on the discussions about exposed tattoos. As long as the OP understands that some places will not hire because of the beard and is ok with that I say go ahead and join EMS.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
just my opinion, but why not answer the questions and educate those who obviously don't understand your religion?

This thread is not about religion per se, but more about policies on beards.

Yes I know he didn't come on to this forum to explain himself or what ever, but what did he expect to happen. This is the internetz, and people are free to ask what ever questions they want.

You're free to ask questions here as long as they are on-topic. Asking about why a religion allows a beard but not a mustache is off topic for this thread.

If you wish to know the answers to your questions, I would suggest sending him a PM.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I support the Hatzolah, the Orthodox Jewish ambulance service. All them are required to have beards. If they can do it, I see no reason why we can not have Othodox Muslims doing the same.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
I support the Hatzolah, the Orthodox Jewish ambulance service. All them are required to have beards. If they can do it, I see no reason why we can not have Othodox Muslims doing the same.

First of all that beard is not professional looking. No way would I let an EMT or medic with an appearance like that go near me.

Second of all, if he wants to join the profession, he needs to play by the rules. Lose the beard. If your religion wont let you, then you have some soul searching to do about what your "god" wants vs what you want.

I have a feeling the orthodox jewish ambulance service serves primarily orthodox jews. I wouldnt expect that they would be taking 911 calls on me or my family.

You're free to ask questions here as long as they are on-topic. Asking about why a religion allows a beard but not a mustache is off topic for this thread.

I think it is a legitimate question. if his religion mandates he grow an unprofessional looking beard, then what else will his religion dictate he does while he is working?

If he's on his way to a 911 call and its time to pray, will he be mandated to pull over and pray for 2 hours ?

How far would he take it? What else would he "have" to do? or better yet, what if his religion conflicts with treating a particular type of patient?

Would he treat a homosexual patient? What about a female driver? or a female stripper? would he be allowed to directly speak to a female patient?

or what if his partner was a female? Would he allow her to drive?

I think these are legitimate questions. If he is willing to dig in his heels about something like a beard, how far will he take it in the name of religion?

medic417

The Truth Provider
FLEMTP there are many services that allow emt's to work with beards. Heck beards look more professional than many of the exposed tattoos so many on here have and seem to demand the right to wear.

You do pose some good questions though about would he be able to treat these individuals. But perhaps we can start a new discussion about what we do when we encounter patients that our faith, or feelings, or whatever condemn etc.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
I have no problem treating patients and I never stated anything about treating patients. If anyone is really interested in knowing about the beard in the Islamic religion then they how use google.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
I'm not that desperate and yes my religion IS more important than being an EMT. If I find something and I can be successful with it then fine and if not then fine. It's not like I'm unemployed or anything. Besides many people think being an EMT is a crappy job anyway because your on the front lines and you don't make anything worth mentioning. Sorry I had to go there and no offense intended to those dedicated to saving lives.

Peace

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
As far as a medic i dont see much of a problem. However I am also a firefighter. I can tell you that with a beard like you describe it will be hard to get a proper mask to mouth seal in an SCBA. Most places around here do not allow facial hair past the corners of your mouth. I can tell you also that with out a properly sized mask WITHOUT facial hair, its very easy to have an inproper seal. I ran a fire last Saturday morning and on my first bottle of air i was done. I did not have a proper seal and the mask was leaking. After i started feeling pretty horrible, i checked myself out of the actual fire fighting for the duration of the scene and went to running a tanker instead.

Thts just with from personal events, my advice is to log onto couple of Fire forums and see what they have to say about it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm not that desperate and yes my religion IS more important than being an EMT. If I find something and I can be successful with it then fine and if not then fine. It's not like I'm unemployed or anything. Besides many people think being an EMT is a crappy job anyway because your on the front lines and you don't make anything worth mentioning. Sorry I had to go there and no offense intended to those dedicated to saving lives.

Peace

Quite honestly I don't believe you had to go there, to MOST being an EMT is a noble profession, it's one where you really can make a difference, but to do that, you truly have to believe in what you're doing...

Just my opinion though.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Quite honestly I don't believe you had to go there, to MOST being an EMT is a noble profession, it's one where you really can make a difference, but to do that, you truly have to believe in what you're doing...

Just my opinion though.

Yeah being an EMT is cool and all but so is being a dental hygienist and making a livable wage for you and your family. It's nothing against the profession, it's reality.

clibb

Forum Captain
Yeah being an EMT is cool and all but so is being a dental hygienist and making a livable wage for you and your family. It's nothing against the profession, it's reality.

Well, while on the dental hygienist subject. I'd like to call mine a professional. I go to the dentist to see her not my dentist. But, then again, my dental hygienist is a little hot blond :p

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, while on the dental hygienist subject. I'd like to call mine a professional. I go to the dentist to see her not my dentist. But, then again, my dental hygienist is a little hot blond :p

I had a nighmare experience with a dentist recently. Seriously, I should have filed a complaint with the board it was so bad. Like... performing 4 hr procedures with no assistance so I was choking on my own blood because there was no suction bad... like couldn't get the crown for my root canal right so it took literally 5 attempts over 6 months bad and the entire time I was in so much pain I couldn't bite down at all bad.

The only highlight was the hygienist who probably would have been more competent than him and definitely took better care of me. She was very cute as well... I don't swing that way but I can appreciate beauty of my own sex. :p

clibb

Forum Captain
I had a nighmare experience with a dentist recently. Seriously, I should have filed a complaint with the board it was so bad. Like... performing 4 hr procedures with no assistance so I was choking on my own blood because there was no suction bad... like couldn't get the crown for my root canal right so it took literally 5 attempts over 6 months bad and the entire time I was in so much pain I couldn't bite down at all bad.

The only highlight was the hygienist who probably would have been more competent than him and definitely took better care of me. She was very cute as well... I don't swing that way but I can appreciate beauty of my own sex. :p

That's disgusting! Report his ***! I would had been so pissed! The only that pisses me off at my dentist is that I don't get enough time to finish the movies!

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
Based on your current attitude with your post i would say you may need to consider something else. I know that my heart is 100% in to it. Doesnt seem like yours ever would be. Maybe im wrong and hopefully i am but if you dont like the job already why start. Not trying to turn you away from it just sayin.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
Yes I applaud all EMTs. If I was not serious about it then I would not have spent hours studying and money going back and forth to class. It took almost a year to get the license because my school spread the classes out. Ironically, it was a Muslim who was a former EMT who gave me the idea. He worked for years and did not have a problem with his beard. I spoke with him since I started this thread and he told me not to shave because there are options. Then he informed me about a brother (Muslim) who worked as an EMT with a fire department in New Jersey. I myself think I recall seeing an EMT in New Jersey with a "Muslim" beard but I don't know if he was in fact. I started this thread because I wanted to hear what the non-Muslims had to say. I have no intention on getting into firefighting. I see some of what they do and it takes a bigger man than me for that job. My mother is a nurse practitioner and I grew up around the medical field. She used to take me to work with her and the whole nine. So I am interested in the medical field in general. Maybe I don't have what it takes to be an EMT. There is only one way to find out. If it does not work then I intend nursing. I know EMTvv I'm not going to trim down my beard or or anything like to become an EMT and if you think that's weird then I know Christians who will not take a job that required them to work on Sundays. I would prefer you do you own research about the beard issue in Islam and then I if you have any questions I'll answer what I can. That's better than me telling you something and then you coming back saying you heard something else.

I hope this clears things up and If not let me know.

Thank you

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Again, please keep the thread on topic. Talking about other parts of the Muslim religion is good for another thread, not this one. Same goes for the dentist posts.

Keep it on topic or it gets closed.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
I forgot to mention that my beard is rather small compared to some others I know. I know Muslims with BIG beards who work in all kinds of professions such as police officers, doctors, computer geeks, I can go on and on. The same thing goes for many Jewish people as well as Sikhs and many are self employed as well. To assume that every beard is dirty and nasty is ignorance. Some men care for their beards more than a female cares for the hair on her head.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If you're truly interested in the work, LawKev, you will find something where the presence of your beard will not interfere with the work you have to do. It will be a situation where your safety and the safety of those in your charge is not in the least compromised.

The investment you made in emergency study can do nothing but help you in ANYTHING in medicine you choose to pursue. If you find you can better fulfill your mission as a Muslim through service in the healing arts, there's nothing that says you can't.

You're no different than most in that, in some places, something you have or had acts as a barrier. You just have to find other places. Good journey!

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
It was alluded to earlier, but I want to specifically call out that many religions have restrictions on how one may look. I know one woman from a Christian following whose sect says that one can't wear jewelry, like necklaces, bracelets, etc., only wedding rings. Yet you *can* wear brooches, even really fancy jeweled ones, if it's to close up your neckline. You don't have to restrict yourself to a plain safety pin. That's the one that really has me scratching my head.

I think most of us have things that are more important to us than other things. I value my husband way more than I value George Bush, even though the secret service might disagree.

All of that said, if you feel you have a talent or calling for being an EMT, I would encourage you to find a service that allows a beard. Sure, there are lots of EMTs looking for work, but if you have strength of character, calm demeanor, varied experience due to your mom, etc., you could well be a more attractive candidate than the other folks applying. When there is an opening, someone has to get it. Why not you?

You also don't have to be tyrannized by the "or", either. You can work as an EMT, and you can also explore other careers to see if you find something you like even better.

I wish you all the best in finding an awesome job.