Am I being naïve?

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I've recently been hired onto a private company as an AEMT for transport only. I work the day shift mon-Fri with a Basic. I was offered PT running 911 or FT running transport only. Being a green Advanced, with little to no EMS experience I felt it would be in my best interest to take the FT gig, and get acclimated to pt contact and the like.
However, most of my coworkers are telling me I made a mistake, and I should have taken the PT gig and be able to run 911.
Here's the thing:
I'd rather work everyday with patients and have my own truck than just be a driver 2 or 3 days a week.
Am I alone in this train of thought?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I would say good call. It will give you more time to practice your assessments and know the area, hospitals, SNFs, etc.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I would say good call. It will give you more time to practice your assessments and know the area, hospitals, SNFs, etc.

That's what I'm saying. I'd rather do granny totes for a year and get my bearings than get thrown into the fire, you know? Some people can do that, I can. I guess I'm just feeling kinda stupid and down about their attitudes.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's what I'm saying. I'd rather do granny totes for a year and get my bearings than get thrown into the fire, you know? Some people can do that, I can. I guess I'm just feeling kinda stupid and down about their attitudes.

You may find that you only need a few months to get comfortable. Don't give yourself an arbitrary timeline to transfer, do it as soon as you think you can handle it.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think doing interfacility transfers (IFT) first helps you learn the roads, learn the hospitals, learn to recognize the equipment, and while you're doing it, study the protocols and policies for the agency responsible for EMS, and you'll be doing all of this in a less urgent and less stressful setting.

phideux

Forum Captain
Do both.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've recently been hired onto a private company as an AEMT for transport only. I work the day shift mon-Fri with a Basic. I was offered PT running 911 or FT running transport only. Being a green Advanced, with little to no EMS experience I felt it would be in my best interest to take the FT gig, and get acclimated to pt contact and the like.
However, most of my coworkers are telling me I made a mistake, and I should have taken the PT gig and be able to run 911.
Here's the thing:
I'd rather work everyday with patients and have my own truck than just be a driver 2 or 3 days a week.
Am I alone in this train of thought?

No. Good call.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good call. I started in IFT and I'm grateful for it. After a few months, see if you can at least pick up shifts on the 911 side as well.