Am I being impatient?

Reidd

Forum Ride Along
I've applied to about 7 different jobs for EMT-B and none have called me back :(. I've gotten once response that I've been rejected and the rest is only radio silence. The wait is killing me since I had the impression employers were short on EMTs in the city (Albuquerque) but it looks like that isn't the case.

I have no experience, only NREMT cert and registered in NM. I started applying on Oct 22, when I received confirmation I'm registered in NM. It's the 11/12 now and no one cares I've been applying. I work at a staffing agency and just from working here and the radio silence I'm getting the sense that I'm not a good candidate for a position. :(

Did any of you struggled getting your first EMS job?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
it's been 2 weeks.... and you're a new grad with 0 experience

contrary to your belief, companies hire when they need people, not when you want them to. I once heard back from a company 14 months after I applied.....

come back after it's been 3 months, and you have followed up with the companies without any feedback.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Have you followed up with any of these companies?

OP
OP
R

Reidd

Forum Ride Along
it's been 2 weeks.... and you're a new grad with 0 experience

contrary to your belief, companies hire when they need people, not when you want them to. I once heard back from a company 14 months after I applied.....

come back after it's been 3 months, and you have followed up with the companies without any feedback.

I'd say by your response, yes, I'm being impatient. I agree with you, regardless of the industry companies only hire when they can. I've too gotten phone calls almost a year later for applications I submitted then. I'll wait a few more weeks before I start emailing them back.

Have you followed up with any of these companies?

6 of those 7 jobs are with the same company. I've been emailing 2 different recruiters and they've both said "we've released your application to the hiring manager" without much else. I haven't been pushy at all since I know the recruiters I work with get annoyed super easily with a candidate that's impatient. It also gets in my head because when a candidate is super hire-able that's all they talk about and talk to the candidate constantly. I wanted to be one of those candidates but with no experience I was just being delusional.

Thank you for your responses :) I really just wanted to be sure and I can't obviously talk about it at my current work.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Hang on. All stop. Wait just one gosh darn minute. You said you applied for 7 job, but six of them are with the same company. So, in reality, you applied for two jobs, one of them six times. One of them turned you down and the other has you in the pipeline. Calm the heck down. Yes, you are absolutely being impatient. They will call you when they have an opening that you are qualified to fill.

Also, expand your search a bit if possible in your area. Your first job can be tough to get, but you only need to do it once. Basically, you say yes to the first reasonable job offer you get, suck it up and work it for six months regardless of how little you like it. Then you’re “experienced” and can apply at the “better” jobs.

kansasems597

Forum Ride Along
LOL. I’m just now going through the hiring process now (looking promising!). It’s been almost 6 months since I first applied. Not to mention the part time fire department I applied for is just now looking to review their applications and it’s been about 10 months for them. You probably have a long ways to go!

Also, for future reference... don’t apply for 6 jobs at the same place. They will see and they probably won’t like it. That goes for any business.

OP
OP
R

Reidd

Forum Ride Along
So the consensus is that I am indeed being impatient lol thank you all.

I'm making $12.00 right now and the one I really want to get starts out at $11.80 (with no experience). I have $12k in debt from school & CC (finished for my bachelors, shooting to be a PA) which means that I'll take a paycut, which is fine... However my dilemma is that there's a service in my city that does almost all facility transfers. I rode along with them before and they don't seem very busy at all. My main issue is that my paycut for that company will likely be down to $10 if I apply with them which is why I haven't. I'm starting to consider if I don't get responses from the other two that I should just bite the bullet and get the $2 an hour paycut. It would just make the interest hell.

I'll wait a few months and see what's going on.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
in case it wasn't clear from my previous post, yes, you are being impatient.

Here are some basic rules I live by:
1) don't accept a job making less than you are currently making, unless you have a really good reason (relocating with cheaper cost of living, attempting a career change and this is the only way to get your foot in the door, you have a way to offset the lower income on a temporary basis and your salary should increase shortly).

2) school debt sucks, but once you get your bachelors, no one can take that way from you. It's not something to worry about, and you can pay it off in time

3) in EMS, you will have a second job. it's a combination of only working 3 12 hour days, which gives you 4 days off. OT is always better than a second job (which is usually part time or per diem), but its often less reliable. If you don't have one, great, consider yourself lucky.

that all being said, going from 12 to 10 an hour isn't that bit of a deal; both salaries are pretty low, and you will need to cut some expenses, but it's not like you are going from 22 an hour to 15 (which I did when I relocated). Going form 12 to 11.80 you won't even notice, but it's still a pay cut (see rule #1). The interest won't kill you any more at 12 vs 10 (it still sucks regardless).

Are there any other services that pay more? maybe outside of the city? I don't know where you live, but are their other opportunities that you aren't exploring? Can you keep your $12 an hour job full time, and work part time for either 11.80 or 10 an hour to gain experience? that way you won't take a paycut, you can pay your debt off faster, you'll sacrifice your free time, and when you do get the full time EMS job, you won't be staring from the bottom with 0 experience.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
If you're in position to move you may have to consider relocating. At the very least expand your prospects, I commuted 40-50 miles one way on my first EMS gig.

1) Look at the hospitals, you may be able to get on in a tech/STNA/medical assistant role and build your resume with patient care.

2) Education - go back to school and knockout pre reqs for medic school, start medic school, get your fire card if you're so inclined...

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
So the consensus is that I am indeed being impatient lol thank you all.

I'm making $12.00 right now and the one I really want to get starts out at $11.80 (with no experience). I have $12k in debt from school & CC (finished for my bachelors, shooting to be a PA) which means that I'll take a paycut, which is fine... However my dilemma is that there's a service in my city that does almost all facility transfers. I rode along with them before and they don't seem very busy at all. My main issue is that my paycut for that company will likely be down to $10 if I apply with them which is why I haven't. I'm starting to consider if I don't get responses from the other two that I should just bite the bullet and get the $2 an hour paycut. It would just make the interest hell.

I'll wait a few months and see what's going on.

It’s a matter of 4th grade math. A standard work week is 40 hrs; if you start at $10/hr, you’re making $400/wk or $1600/mo, as opposed to $480/wk or $1920/mo, with $12/hr. That’s a $320 difference which amounts to $80/wk. If $320/mo is a critical number, then the solution is simple - either pick up 1 extra shift a week, or find a 2nd P/T job.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Have you considered the military? If you're young, fit and willing to embrace a little silliness, it's a fantastic option. A literal launchpad to the middle class.

I served five years on active duty and another two(ish) in the Guard, and rode that GI Bill +a few loans to four degrees, while working full time.