Am I an idiot for becoming an EMT with a college degree?

nationalemt3842

Forum Ride Along
Like I said I have a political science degree and I could get a higher paying job in another field if I wanted to.

I became an EMT because I like being out on the road, helping people, and the freedom that the job offers. I make enough to support myself if I live frugally, and I'm happy. I've been an EMT for a year.

I've had other EMTs tell me that I'm stupid for becoming an EMT. I "chose the wrong career" and that they "give me a year before I hate it." Those people come across as burned out, but it's a line I hear almost every day and part of me feels like they're right. Today I turned down an offer to interview for am $80,000 sales job in Wisconsin, last week it was a $60,000 recruitment job in NYC. Right now I'm lucky if I net $40,000 a year working odd hours with a ton of OT. I don't want to be a salesman or a recruiter, but still, the money looks good.

What do you think?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So, both sales and recruiters tend to work on commission; so that 80k and 60k are likely ideal pay levels, which people don't always occur.

a poli sci degree doesn't scream sales or recruitment, so it's likely they were accepting any bachelors degree. if you get an offer for a job that uses the contents of your degree, that interests you, than take it

nothing wrong with working EMS; I did it for 8 years full time, and made a decent living (55k with tons of OT). and this was after I completed my bachelors degree.

Do what makes you happy.

Last edited:

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Do the job you like and live within your means. Degrees are becoming more and more useless in all fields. No longer do employers care what your degree is. They might care if you have one. maybe.

This job isn't about money. You've been in the job for a year. If you're having doubts then maybe it's not for you. Do what makes you happy, and let the money sort itself out.

(Within reason. I know some EMTs don't make much. I worked as an EMT in Los Angeles making minimum wage. I get it. Hustle and be happy.)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I see you're 22. You have plenty of time to experiment. There's nothing wrong with being a degreed EMT, but you sound like you're having second thoughts. Maybe try another occupation while you can. You can always go back to EMS.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I’m a paramedic with a masters and legitimately love what I do as a profession. Nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
N

nationalemt3842

Forum Ride Along
Thank you everyone for all the replies.

I don’t think it’s that I’m having second thoughts so much that I’m insecure about working in a non-degreed job with a degree, which I know is silly, but it’s being exacerbated by my coworkers. I love what I do and everyday I go into work with a smile.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
One thing I remember about my EMS days was I was surrounded by people with HS diplomas only, who either won't or can't attain any higher education. Some of these people are even supervisors, because they have been with the company for so long, or they are awesome yesmen for management. It doesn't make them bad people, but some are intimidated when a new guy comes in who is college educated, and they make sure the new guy knows it.

Truth be told, you can work EMS part time (esp at the EMT level), especially after you have been doing it for a while, and working a higher paying office job during bankers hours.

If you love your job, do what makes you happy, but also keep in mind that as an EMT working in EMS, your career opportunities will be limited, your salary potential is also limited, and if you are an educated EMT, you will often be viewed the equal to the dumbest EMT you know (you know, the guy who barely passed high school and you are surprised he hasn't been fired yet for gross incompetence...)

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a degree and working as an EMT, provided you are happy with your job.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
You're happy? Enough said. Go for your medic and with a degree, you can probably move up the food chain.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Plenty of my coworkers are obviously intimidated by my college degree (and previous non-EMS career) and a few of them don't behave well because of that.

I've never let it feel like a failure on my part that I could be making more money each year. I chose this for reasons that are important to myself - far more important than the amount of the Line 6 of my 1040. If you find that there is something better or more important for yourself, I'd suggest following up on that.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I could be making a lot more shaking it for dollar bills or as a financial dude. But I like what I do. Except for the 24/48 lifestyle and the wheelchair shenanigans. Those suck.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
There are other similar options where you can have both. You can volunteer in EMS on Saturdays and work M-F in a field that pays much more. You could also look into going to PA school or NP school and working in emergency. You could do something 90% similar and even more advanced and make 3-4x the money with better hours.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have a polisci degree as well. I went to what many consider a fancy liberal arts college, and early on I had the same experience as you. Find a place that you can leverage your degree. I started working for a small service and because I could write, I started doing grants. By the time I left for greener pastures I had brought in several million dollars which allowed for some really awesome improvements and gave me the satisfaction I wanted out of my job. Suddenly people stopped asking about what I was doing in EMS...

Lots of my friends made more than me straight out of college but a lot of them didn't too. But I always had a better schedule which helped ease the $9/hr burden. My college experience along with good EMT experience made medic school a breeze which certainly helped my financial issues.

bklynrob

Forum Ride Along
My humble opinion and perspective. I'm 49 years old. I did a career in the Marine Corps and then moved to silicon valley where I get paid lots of money do run a security program for a tech company. The money is great....but the work is unfulfilling, and quite honestly I feel like I lack sense of purpose. So, in an effort to fulfill that lack of purpose, I got my EMT license this month and I'll be working part time for a private ambulance service. When I was going through EMT school, I found that the short time I spent working with EMT's and Paramedics out in the field, helping people in need, was more satisfying to me than anything I've done at my current corporate job.

There is no right answer to your question. I would not sweat the opinions of your peers. And as far as questioning whether you are in a career commensurate with your choice of study, does it really matter? You are serving in one of the most admirable professions in existence - helping others in need, when they need it most.

Do what drives you. Do what gives you sense of purpose, self worth and satisfaction. If being an EMT ever stops doing that for you, then move on to something else. There is no law that prohibits you from seeking personal and professional growth and expanding your horizons...but do it on your time line for reasons that make sense for you.

Sincerely,
An old dude whose been a licensed EMT for about 10 minutes :)

mattyb

Forum Ride Along
Am I an idiot for becoming an EMT with a college degree?

Yes but not because you became an EMT but because you got a college degree. You like your job and spent 4 of the best years of your life and lots of money to get something that does squat for you in EMS. The degree might help you if you get into management...but PolySci?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes but not because you became an EMT but because you got a college degree. You like your job and spent 4 of the best years of your life and lots of money to get something that does squat for you in EMS. The degree might help you if you get into management...but PolySci?
Indeed, some of the best years of my life were between 18 and 21. Those were also the years I was in college, getting my Political Science degree. Not all of us knew we would end up in EMS when we were in college.

Thing that even my waste of money polisci degree does:
-Improved my public speaking skills
-Made me a pretty good writer
-Allowed me to go from "pretty good writer" to "guy who brings 20% of the budget in grant revenue each year"
-Made the studying and time management components of medic school a breeze
-Gets me a differential in pay with our new compensation plan
-Taught me how to make engaging presentations, which I use every time I teach a class
-Qualified me for adjunct faculty sight unseen at the community college
-Taught the basics of evaluating peer produced studies

You don't need a college degree for any of this. But to discount it is just silly.

mattyb

Forum Ride Along
Indeed, some of the best years of my life were between 18 and 21. Those were also the years I was in college, getting my Political Science degree. Not all of us knew we would end up in EMS when we were in college.

Thing that even my waste of money polisci degree does:
-Improved my public speaking skills
-Made me a pretty good writer
-Allowed me to go from "pretty good writer" to "guy who brings 20% of the budget in grant revenue each year"
-Made the studying and time management components of medic school a breeze
-Gets me a differential in pay with our new compensation plan
-Taught me how to make engaging presentations, which I use every time I teach a class
-Qualified me for adjunct faculty sight unseen at the community college
-Taught the basics of evaluating peer produced studies

You don't need a college degree for any of this. But to discount it is just silly.

And you get paid how much more than your EMS peers with no college?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At my last job? About 8k more than the other less than five years on paramedics.

I'm not much about bragging. But I am confident that my degree got me the above skills. At my new job, I think it was what set me apart from the other 100 applicants for the single spot. Also we are hoping to soon have a 4% stipend a year for four year degrees. I also do not have to worry about going back to school prior to getting a promotion as at least an AS is required to be a lieutenant.

A college degree is not necessary to be an EMT or paramedic, but it certainly can enhance your career outlook. Also, I enjoyed the crap out of college. No part of it was a waste, it played a huge role in making me the person I am.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Like I said I have a political science degree and I could get a higher paying job in another field if I wanted to.

I became an EMT because I like being out on the road, helping people, and the freedom that the job offers. I make enough to support myself if I live frugally, and I'm happy. I've been an EMT for a year.

I've had other EMTs tell me that I'm stupid for becoming an EMT. I "chose the wrong career" and that they "give me a year before I hate it." Those people come across as burned out, but it's a line I hear almost every day and part of me feels like they're right. Today I turned down an offer to interview for am $80,000 sales job in Wisconsin, last week it was a $60,000 recruitment job in NYC. Right now I'm lucky if I net $40,000 a year working odd hours with a ton of OT. I don't want to be a salesman or a recruiter, but still, the money looks good.

What do you think?

What I think is that you have it pretty much figured out. If you are earning enough to do the things that you want to do in life and are saving enough that you don't feel like you have to worry too much about your financial future, then making more money is unlikely to increase your happiness much, if at all. In fact it may very well decrease your net happiness and satisfaction, especially if making that extra money requires you to do a job that you enjoy less and find less fulfilling than what your currently do.

There's actually lots of research on the correlations between income, job satisfaction, and overall happiness and it's pretty interesting. More money only makes us happier if it decreases financial stress or allows us to have experiences (i.e. travel, volunteer, etc.) that are really important to us that we otherwise couldn't afford. Once those bases are covered, higher levels of income actually correlate with increased levels of stress, unhappiness, and depression, even independently of the work that has to be done to earn it. In other words, not only does taking a job you don't like in order to earn more money tend to make you less happy, but even earning more money at a job you do like can decrease happiness. Having a bigger, nicer house and a newer car and the latest smartphone does nothing at all for happiness.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

Some EMS providers with degrees make lots more than their colleagues without degrees. Sometimes that has to do with those degrees. Not all of the extra money earned directly involves patient care, or even EMS.

You probably won't have a guarantee of higher earnings if you go to college. However, taking advantage of the opportunities to do so is on you.