alphanumeric pager for lycoming county, pa

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Anyone know of any providers that still offer alpha# pager service/pagers in lyco county pa. You know the kind that medical personel carry? I have checked with the major providers and no one offers coverage in the 17701 area.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Have you checked with Verizon Business paging?

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Have you checked with Verizon Business paging?

I had called Verizon before and she basically laughed at me when I asked if they offered paging service. :glare:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I wasn't aware they still made those or used them.

I did get a laugh as well when you said "you know, the kind medical personnel carry".

Sorry it just seemed funny as I have not seen or used one since our service quit using them in 1997 or 98, one of those years.

Good luck in your search!

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you asking about a standard 1-way alphanumeric pager to receive messages? Or do you need a 2-way pager?

American Messaging (www.americanmessaging.net) has 1-way coverage originating at tower sites in Scranton, Elmira, and Harrisburg that might cover your area.

Sorry, but I doubt anyone offers 2-way paging in that area. 2-way paging is only available in large urban centers.

The other option would be cell phones and SMS or text messaging. You probably know this, but Verizon has good digital coverage thoroughout most of your county. Sprint/Nextel and AT&T have coverage, but it gets limited the further you move away from the freeway.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I think I found a solution: First responder wireless news (google it)

Anyone ever use them before? I signed up for a monthly plan with the Motorola advisor pager. She said I should have it by the end of the week. If I wasn't satisfied I had 30 days to send it back. She sent me some dispatch logs and there weren't many for Lycoming County but it still is in the same monthly price range as other paging services and I get a personal number for non first responder pages.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
info/family emergencies, i'll probably get a minitor once my application is accepted at the firehouse.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Wouldn't It be simpler, to get a cell phone ,and sign up for text alerts

yes but i have had times when my cell phone didnt work or text messages were delayed.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
oh ok, well then i can understand that, but i hardly ever see anyone carry them around anymore.

Yeah i Know, I kind laugh at the idea of carrying one but doctors and nurses carry them for a reason. I have had times when I wouldn't get my texts until hours later when i made a call on my at&t phone... <_<

raisingkahne9

Forum Probie
Yeah i Know, I kind laugh at the idea of carrying one but doctors and nurses carry them for a reason. I have had times when I wouldn't get my texts until hours later when i made a call on my at&t phone... <_<

So, wait do you just want one so people think that your a nurse or doctor? Because if that's the case then I want one to, where do I sign up?

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain