Almost 2 years since EMT course

HemOnc

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I will just get right to it. It will be almost 2 years since I have taken the EMT course (I took it in July 2017) at 16 and I never took the NREMT. I am now 18 years old, and my hope was to get employed as an er tech at my hospital. I am really disappointed I never took the initiative earlier, because I am pretty sure I forgot all of the skills. In addition to that, I never took one of the ICS tests that was required of me in the course.

What should I do now? (I will obviously do the ICS)
Should I just retake the course? (I am more hesitant to do that as the nearest course is close to 1,000 dollars)
Do you think studying for the NREMT is a better option, and what are some tips?
What is the likelihood that a hospital employs an 18 year old?
Any general insight is appreciated!

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have your state cert or did you end up with no cert at all?
If you have your state cert you don't need to retake the entire course to get your NREMT, and you probably don't even need it for a hospital job that's in your state.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Does your state have a separate state test for state certification or does your state require NREMT for certification? Are you certified at all as an EMT currently?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
check your state's requirements. They might require you to take the entire course over again. each state is different, so contact your state's EMS office to see what your particular requirements are.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A check on the registry's website might be in order to see if you are still eligible to test. You may have to take a refresher course (often offered by EMS training companies and community colleges) to be eligible, and it might be a good idea just the same.